Leaving a job within 6 months

Hi everyone,

I'm a recent university graduate with a bachelors who is desperately looking for a job in finance, and was losing hope as the months passed me by. Recently, I interviewed for a position that seemed interested in hiring me, and the salary they offered was $31,000 per annum. This to me is a little on the low side for my experience and grades, and I know of classmates who have landed jobs in the 38,000 area.

I guess what I am asking is, should I hold out for another job, and remain jobless for more months, or would it be bad to accept this position while looking and waiting for something better. I'll be on probation for 6 months so I can always say that it wasn't a right fit, correct?

Or as they say, beggars can't be choosers, so maybe I should take the job and just see how it goes for the next year without thinking about a few thousand dollars?

Any opinions out there? Thanks.

I think you really need to look at all aspects of the job, not just the salary.

Does it look like a fun place to work?

Did you weigh in all the benefits? Maybe the 31 is better than 38 due their 401k, insurance, what have you.

And honestly, the salary difference is not that large. If you are only driven by money and the enjoyment of what you are doing, you may really be setting yourself up for a miserable work life.

If you find a job you love and do well, the money almost always follow.

I think you need experience. Get a little of that, prove you can do your job well, and don't worry, you make those salary increases in quite large bounds.

Remember, its not really so much on how much you make, but how much you spend...

Good luck and just my opinion.

• Author
I think you really need to look at all aspects of the job, not just the salary.

Does it look like a fun place to work?

Did you weigh in all the benefits? Maybe the 31 is better than 38 due their 401k, insurance, what have you.

And honestly, the salary difference is not that large. If you are only driven by money and the enjoyment of what you are doing, you may really be setting yourself up for a miserable work life.

If you find a job you love and do well, the money almost always follow.

I think you need experience. Get a little of that, prove you can do your job well, and don't worry, you make those salary increases in quite large bounds.

Remember, its not really so much on how much you make, but how much you spend...

Good luck and just my opinion.

Thank you for your opinion. I guess because this concerns my first job out of university, I'm just so scared of making the wrong decisions, and in a way failing relative to other people my age. I also come from a family where there is often an over-emphasis on the almighty dollar, and I didn't want to disappoint them either.

I definitely do need more full time experience under my belt, and to really know what type of work environment it is, I suppose I have to work there.

But I'm young and adaptable, so if it turns out that the job isn't for me, I can always move on. It's just such a nerve-wracking time!

Thank you for your opinion. I guess because this concerns my first job out of university, I'm just so scared of making the wrong decisions, and in a way failing relative to other people my age. I also come from a family where there is often an over-emphasis on the almighty dollar, and I didn't want to disappoint them either.

I definitely do need more full time experience under my belt, and to really know what type of work environment it is, I suppose I have to work there.

But I'm young and adaptable, so if it turns out that the job isn't for me, I can always move on. It's just such a nerve-wracking time!

Exactly. you don't HAVE to stay there. Just a word of advice if/when you do leave: leave with class. The work field is VERY small, so don't burn people you don't have to.

Don't worry about your family, though that is the hardest not too. You have to be happy at your job, trust me. It's worth less money to be happy 5 days out of the week. You don't need much money: You just need NO DEBT!

You have to be your own man/woman and leave your family out of your business of what makes you happy. They should be grateful your a productive citizen and not a trouble making embarrassing bum.

I know how you're feeling about the job, but hey, you'll have one more thing to add to your resume ;) You'll gain experience, probably make some new friends - BE EXCITED! Your first job out of college, and $31k really isn't bad to start out with, not at all! There are people who've probably been working for YEARS still not making that, so be happy for it :D

You'll do great! Good luck to you if you take it!

crosswordfiend

I'd say it's perfectly reasonable to looking around for another job while you try this one out. It's your first job, and when I read CVs I don't really hold that sort of thing against a candidate. If it becomes a pattern, then we have a different story.

6 months after college is not really bad or good. You are just trying out the job and this one didn't do it for you.

I would suggest looking ahead before jumping going forward. ;)

I've done the jump before looking and it set my career back a few years. :(

• Author

Thanks everyone. I did hold the same audit job throughout University, so I do have some demonstrated consistency there.

When you say look ahead, do you mean evaluate the future prospects of the company before jumping ship for a salary increase at another firm that may not have the same growth prospects? If so, I agree and it is good to keep in mind.

Well I have accepted the job and I start soon. The benefits are decent as I get dental, vision, medical, matching contributions to the group plan, etc. Thanks for everyone's kind wishes.