I got accepted to Law School!

RecordProducer

Woo-hoo! :bunny: My first acceptance. :D It's a 4T school in the mid-west, not far from a big business center.

I didn't care much about going to a top law school anyway, because it only matters if you want to work for a big law firm right off the bat for a six-figure salary and 100 hours of torture per week. I'd rather have a decent/modest income, enjoy my job, and have time for my kids and a social life. After all, where I will be in three years (God willing) will be quite different from and much better than where I was two years ago. And ten years from now, nobody will care about which law school I attended; my success (or lack thereof) will reflect my true capabilities and skills.

So I am quite happy and excited. Life is in front of me again: new challenges, new people, new environment - a new life! :) I know that all this doesn't sound like a big deal to many of you, but to me it is. Especially with my failing marriage, slowly climbing up the staircase of success certainly feels better than slowly drowning in misery. Most of all, I am thrilled that I will be a lawyer; I will be able to try different aspects of the legal profession and find an area that I am passionate about. I will be able to help people through pro-bono work and make a difference.

I applied to 30 schools and received five replies: rejected, wait-listed, deferred (put on hold), rejected, admitted. Twenty-five more replies to receive. I expect to get a few more acceptances (and at least 20 more rejections, because I applied to many schools that are out of my reach - just to test my luck ;)). But, one acceptance is enough - I can only go to so many schools at once! :laugh:

Congrats to me. :)

Yee-haw...... Here Here....Art raises a glass ( of orange juice ) * clink *

RP.. that is wonderful news... I wish you luck on your next step on your journey..

Mustang Sally

Congrats, RP!

Sounds like the start of an exciting adventure.

Best wishes for your future,

Mustang

Congrats!!!!

Maybe I need to call you for patent lawyer contacts, incorporation help, or maybe a jail bail out because I'm a client @ 3am. :D

I'm happy that you are on your way to a more fullfilling life!

Congrats!

I couldn't imagine filling out 30 applications! I filled out 4 applications for grad school and that was enough for me... at least for this year.

• Author
RecordProducer

Thank you very much, everyone! You LS-ers have been there for me all along. I know I can always rely on you, guys. :love:

Yee-haw...... Here Here....Art raises a glass ( of orange juice ) * clink *

I quit drinking again and this time it's for good. So I am raising my glass of OJ and... tzing-tzing... attention please... I'd like to make a toast:

"I want to use this opportunity to thank my soon-to-be-ex-in-laws, who are not here with us tonight, from the very bottom of my heart - for being jerks and treating me like sh*t; because had they been nice to me, I would have probably never decided to move on with my life and become a lawyer. Everything they did to me inspired me to rise above my circimstances and reach for my inner strength and wisdom.

Because they raised the question of my "worth," I found the answer - exactly where I was looking for it. ;)"

:D

Thanks again, everybody. :)

A huge Congratulations RP! I admire you so much for following through and working on achieving your goals. You're a strong, amazing woman and I know that you have a happy and successful future ahead of you! :):bunny:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

great acceptance speech, RP! Don't forget to moon the bastards as you exit stage left :p

I'm so glad you've posted, you've been on my mind, and I'm incredibly proud of you for chasing down your dreams the way you have. Go get 'em, tiger, rowrrrr ...

about the field you're looking into: according to my brother's ex-wife, there's an area of law called "intellectual property," which deals with ideas and thoughts (say like music or computer concepts) that aren't exactly tangible in the traditional sense, but nonetheless property of the one who created it. When she started telling me that this was the area of law she was interested in, I immediately thought of you and your particular background in music.

nobody will care about which law school I attended; my success (or lack thereof) will reflect my true capabilities and skills.

you don't know how true this is! As you get a more firm grasp of your field, what starts to matter more and more is your capabilities, not where you "came" from – the average bear doesn't care if you're Ivy League or educated at a college out in the sticks of South Texas, he just wants to be assured that you know your stuff and that you're gonna be his biggest advocate.

like I said before, knock 'em dead, tiger :cool:

• Author
RecordProducer

Thanks SR, SG, and Allina. :)

I am so excited and I haven't even told my mom and some other people.

Had some "psychic" told me a few years ago: "Some day you're going to be a lawyer in America," I would have laughed hard and said, "Yeah, right!" :laugh:

Well, this is just a beginning, but every road has a beginning.

So I am raising my glass of OJ and... tzing-tzing... attention please... I'd like to make a toast:

"I want to use this opportunity to thank my soon-to-be-ex-in-laws, who are not here with us tonight, from the very bottom of my heart - for being jerks and treating me like sh*t; because had they been nice to me, I would have probably never decided to move on with my life and become a lawyer. Everything they did to me inspired me to rise above my circimstances and reach for my inner strength and wisdom.

Because they raised the question of my "worth," I found the answer - exactly where I was looking for it. ;)"

:D

Thanks again, everybody. :)

:lmao:

I guess things do have a way of working out for the best in the end.

Cheers to you!

• Author
RecordProducer

Thank you, Quankanne. You've been extremely supportive since day one and I really appreciate it. :love: Altogether, LS has shown me that there are some geniunely nice and good people in this world (because in real life you don't know if one's words mirror their true thoughts).

I still can't believe it... this is one of my best days in life. I'll never forget January 28th.... what a difference a day maaaaakes! :p

Good for you, RP! Or as they say in Serbia, szbrgtha igniidd!

At least that's what it sounds like they say.

It's a great step and something you can feel proud of.

• Author
RecordProducer
I guess things do have a way of working out for the best in the end.

Cheers to you!

Thank you, Norajane, for all your support. No one will ever be able to measure the sanity that I have retained and to count the cells in my brain that didn't die due to the comfort, guidance, and support that I've received on LS. Sometimes just a gentle word of understanding and an encouraging compliment can produce a miracle. Apparently, I am very emotional today, but I keep refering to my recent past and your support, because this is a big change and a victory for me - and you guys believed in me. As of today, I am not a poor little Cinderella who "doesn't have a pot to piss in" - I am a future lawyer. After so much crap that I've gone through in life, I think I finally deserved some peace of mind and a decent life. I don't care that I will be single; I will have my kids and my school. And if I go to this very school, I have two fantastic friends who live an hour from there! They are my only good friends here in the US; hubby's cousin and her spouse, ages 50 and 60 respectively - truly wonderful people. :bunny:

Thanks again, everyone, for everything. :)

Good for you, RP! Or as they say in Serbia, szbrgtha igniidd!

Hahaha! :laugh: The precise translation of these words would be: "There are no such words in the Serbian language!" :D But, nice try, Johan. ;) And thanks. :)

Congrats RP! This is fantastic news!
WWIU, thank you very much! :)

BTW, why'd you put Lonestar's avatar in your box? :p

Congrats, RP. But as one attorney to a future-attorney-to-be, can I say one thing? DON'T DO IT!!! :p

Woo-hoo! :bunny: My first acceptance. :D It's a 4T school in the mid-west, not far from a big business center.

I didn't care much about going to a top law school anyway, because it only matters if you want to work for a big law firm right off the bat for a six-figure salary and 100 hours of torture per week. I'd rather have a decent/modest income, enjoy my job, and have time for my kids and a social life. After all, where I will be in three years (God willing) will be quite different from and much better than where I was two years ago. And ten years from now, nobody will care about which law school I attended; my success (or lack thereof) will reflect my true capabilities and skills.

I don't want to burst your bubble here, RP, but as I've learned, if you end up in private practice (basically anything other than government service), you'll work yourself to death NO MATTER WHAT. It doesn't matter what school you go to or how big a firm - you WILL work long hours. You cannot avoid it. As one of my bosses once said, "The life of an attorney is one of sacrifice - and that sacrifice is of one's own personal time."

Top firms pay 6 figures for tons of hours, this is true. But they also pay for top notch talent and can afford to do so because their clients are willing to pay boo-koo bucks for the Harvard and Yale resumes. Smaller firms generally don't bill their clients as much per hour, and therefore don't make much money, and therefore generally have lower-ranking graduates amongst their ranks.

In essence, it doesn't matter if you're at a small or a big firm, top ranking school or a low ranking school. The practice of law is a business enterprise, and your bosses will expect you to bill, bill, bill.

And applying to 30 schools must have cost you thousands of dollars! And how did you have the time to craft so many personal statements!? I'm impressed!

But again, congratulations!! Just please take time to really assess whether the practice of law is really what you want to do. So many attorneys burn out after 5 years (I'm rapidly approaching that time!), even those who have yearned to practice and create law since they were wee kiddos. You have to really love it to be happy with it as a career choice, particularly if you intend on taking out a mortgage-sized amount of student loans to get your degree.

Just my 2 cents.

But again, congrats! ;)

WWIU, thank you very much! :)

BTW, why'd you put Lonestar's avatar in your box? :p

It's on lone..Anyway, I missed looking the purple sexy cartoon boobs. :laugh: mmmm, speaking of sexy - That's a real beauty picture of you in your avatar!

• Author
RecordProducer

Thank you, SG. :) I do like the law and I think I could handle the sacrifice, especially as my sons get older. I am also hoping that my mom would join me in a couple years. I believe that every single career in the world has advantages and disadvantages and that every job becomes more or less just-a-job at some point. But if you have a little bit of challenge at work, if you stay mentally busy, if you can afford a decent life for you and your family, and if you can make a difference in some people's lives - you did something with yourself and your life. No job is a dream job in reality. The goal is to earn a living and not hate your life from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. while earning it.

I love working with people and can't imagine myself being happy in a place where I would be seeing the same 17 people for thirty-five years. I like reading, writing and especially researching; I like dealing with people's personal problems and helping them (especially if they pay me! :D). I like to think, advocate, advise, and solve problems. So, I chose the law because it's closest to my idea of a productive career - not because I want to save the world or make tons of money or because I expect a red carpet under my 500-dollar shoes in a big law firm.

It's easy for you to say "Don't do it!" while you keep doing it. :) For someone like me, who came from a second-world country, who's never had a stable income due to my former country's crippled economy, who's never had a chance for any tangible success until I moved to the US -being a lawyer IS a dream job. :)

Thank you again for putting the time and effort to write me about the law career. I will be looking for tips and advice from you in the future. Don't charge me for your time, please! :laugh:

Apparently, I am very emotional today, but I keep refering to my recent past and your support, because this is a big change and a victory for me - and you guys believed in me. As of today, I am not a poor little Cinderella who "doesn't have a pot to piss in" - I am a future lawyer.

You believed in yourself, sweets! That's what makes the difference, always. We can encourage and support, but YOU made it happen - you worked your own miracle. :bunny: