LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

I got accepted to Law School!

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Old 30th January 2008, 8:04 PM   #61

the story makes no sense. The guy had a B, two C+'s and two C's and then an aditional C+ his second semester... those are pretty good grades...
Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2008, 8:24 PM   #62
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
the story makes no sense. The guy had a B, two C+'s and two C's and then an aditional C+ his second semester... those are pretty good grades...
No, pretty good grades are a string of A's and B's. Those are pretty average grades.

The school's bar was a 2.5 GPA. His grades gave him a 2.4, or lower if a C+ is calculated below 2.5, which a + grade often is.

The school has since changed their bar to a 2.0 average, a C average.

Don't worry, RP. They can't kick you out when you get all A's and B's.
norajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2008, 8:31 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by norajane View Post
No, pretty good grades are a string of A's and B's. Those are pretty average grades.

The school's bar was a 2.5 GPA. His grades gave him a 2.4, or lower if a C+ is calculated below 2.5, which a + grade often is.

The school has since changed their bar to a 2.0 average, a C average.

Don't worry, RP. They can't kick you out when you get all A's and B's.
Alot of schools don't kick you out unless you get below a 1.5 your first semester, so check on that. Getting al A's and B's in law school is definelty something to try for but its insanely hard. If you got 2 A's and 3 B's that would put you in the top 20% at least at alot of law schools. Alot of law schools use a bell curve to artificaly push peoples grades down... so 10% might get straight A's but the other 90 % wont
Old 30th January 2008, 8:33 PM   #64
Established Member

Quote:
but they weren't good enough. now that they lowered it to 2.0, which i personally find disappointing at best, should someone with a 1.9 get away with it? when does the line get drawn?

getting a's and b's is not insanely hard as someone said, even in a tough law school. you'll do fine, rp.
--GK, Hide and Seek
KenzieAbsolutely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2008, 8:43 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenzieAbsolutely View Post
but they weren't good enough. now that they lowered it to 2.0, which i personally find disappointing at best, should someone with a 1.9 get away with it? when does the line get drawn?

getting a's and b's is not insanely hard as someone said, even in a tough law school. you'll do fine, rp.
Not only is it insanely hard at a school with a bell curve but they would have to kick out over half the law school if that was their standard
Old 30th January 2008, 8:48 PM   #66
Established Member

RP, no matter what the grading/dropping students policies are at the school you choose I am confident that you will succeed. I think that you are much stronger and more driven than the average woman.
Old 30th January 2008, 9:14 PM   #67
Established Member

Quote:
Not only is it insanely hard at a school with a bell curve but they would have to kick out over half the law school if that was their standard
okay, well i disagree that it is insanely hard for everyone, and this is my opinion based on my own experience and background with the subject. i never said it was a standard, obviously it's not, so that's not relevant. i'm just saying, you might think it's insanely hard; others will disagree. i am one of the others.

once again, rp, you still have yet to hear from other places. you'll do great wherever you are, i know it.
KenzieAbsolutely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2008, 11:18 PM   #68

Journal Entries: 2
I went to a pretty good graduate school. I know they would not let me graduate with a 2.0. Some professors do talk to you after you get an B- or lower.

Just because there is a written policy does not mean there is no unwritten policy. The student could not get the classes they wanted and therefore gets left behind.

I do agree that it is much harder to get into graduate school than to be in it!
jerbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2008, 12:16 AM   #69
Established Member

I did some googling and discovered that some Big Law firms have recently hired graduates from the school that accepted me. I am talking top 50 US law firms in one of the biggest cities. I also noticed that Big Law from different parts of the US recruit local grads from all tiers. The majority of these lower-tier grads have been in the schools' Journal/Review and some of them have graduated (magna) cum laude. I am not necessarily chasing a Big Law job; as a matter of fact, I'd rather start in a DA's office for the hands-on experience and for other reasons. But I'd like to have a choice in any case.

Quote:
KMT, there's an assumption that St. Thomas had an agenda: they admitted students that didn't belong in law school so they can collect money from them. They admitted X number of students knowing that a quarter of them will be expelled after a year. Their goal was to raise the reputation of the school, but that's NOT how they should do it. E.g. the school that accepted me cut the number of matriculating (enrolling) students so they can weed out those with lower credentials in advance. In this way their LSAT score and GPA will increase little by little. The thing is ABA imposed a rule that schools won't accept students that don't show potential for success.

On the other hand, St. Thomas might be innocent. The Dean claims that their attrition rate is no higher than that of other schools (around 10% on average, but it varies). This can certainly be checked at court and I believe the Dean knows better than the student. His attorney would have to prove that the people who didn't have potential for law school (LSAT below 140-145, GPA below 2.0) were precisely the ones that were expelled. If it turns out that those with the lowest credentials were decent students and those with decent GPA's and LSAT scores did poorly - the student will lose the case, IMO.

Furthermore, why would a school kick those people out (in order to raise their bar-passage rate) if that wouldn't help them achieve their goal? Maybe these people really failed. And maybe St. T. pushed them down intentionally with the curve. Who knows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allina View Post
RP, no matter what the grading/dropping students policies are at the school you choose I am confident that you will succeed. I think that you are much stronger and more driven than the average woman.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenzieAbsolutely View Post
once again, rp, you still have yet to hear from other places. you'll do great wherever you are, i know it.
Thanks, Allina and Kenzie. I sure hope so.

Sharing laughs and good times doesn't make up for a solid foundation - Fluorescent

Last edited by RecordProducer; 31st January 2008 at 12:23 AM..
RecordProducer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2008, 12:39 AM   #70

Quote:
I've never heard of a law school that didn't have a curve, at least for the first year courses. I only had 3 classes throughout law school that weren't curved - and two were pass/fail.

But I echo Allina's comments - no matter where you go or what you decide, you'll succeed. Just don't incur student loans!!
Star Gazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2008, 12:56 AM   #71
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecordProducer View Post
Congrats to me.
Yes Congratulations RP! I am so happy for you. Nobody deserves it more!
amaysngrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2008, 1:15 AM   #72
Established Member

Congrats.

Just curious, what type of law are you going to specialize in?
THE THRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2008, 5:32 AM   #73
Established Member

Congratulations, RP. I hope you enjoy the course.
lindya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2008, 11:42 AM   #74
Established Member

Asked and answered (post #39)
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE THRONE View Post
Congrats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecordProducer View Post
Thank you very much, guys.
I don't know yet which law I'd like to prcatice, DDL. Maybe business or family law.
Old 31st January 2008, 10:15 PM   #75
Established Member

Thanks, Lyndia, Amaysngrace, and throne.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE THRONE View Post
Congrats.

I don't have to specialize in any particular area of law. Once in law school, I will determine what attracts me most, but the majority of students don't take any specializations. Most lawyers don't really choose what they want to do; they just apply for jobs and pick the best package offered. If you could predict the future careers of all applicants, judging by the essays they write, everybody would be saving the underrepresented children, women, immigrants and homeless people. Yet, most of them will end up doing injury, insurance, real estate, and the like.
Quote:

But I echo Allina's comments - no matter where you go or what you decide, you'll succeed. Just don't incur student loans!!
Aw, that's so sweet of you.
RecordProducer is offline   Reply With Quote