LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

I got accepted to Law School!

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Old 28th January 2008, 9:20 PM   #1
Established Member

Thumbs up I got accepted to Law School!

Woo-hoo! My first acceptance. It's a 4T school in the mid-west, not far from a big business center.

I didn't care much about going to a top law school anyway, because it only matters if you want to work for a big law firm right off the bat for a six-figure salary and 100 hours of torture per week. I'd rather have a decent/modest income, enjoy my job, and have time for my kids and a social life. After all, where I will be in three years (God willing) will be quite different from and much better than where I was two years ago. And ten years from now, nobody will care about which law school I attended; my success (or lack thereof) will reflect my true capabilities and skills.

So I am quite happy and excited. Life is in front of me again: new challenges, new people, new environment - a new life! I know that all this doesn't sound like a big deal to many of you, but to me it is. Especially with my failing marriage, slowly climbing up the staircase of success certainly feels better than slowly drowning in misery. Most of all, I am thrilled that I will be a lawyer; I will be able to try different aspects of the legal profession and find an area that I am passionate about. I will be able to help people through pro-bono work and make a difference.

I applied to 30 schools and received five replies: rejected, wait-listed, deferred (put on hold), rejected, admitted. Twenty-five more replies to receive. I expect to get a few more acceptances (and at least 20 more rejections, because I applied to many schools that are out of my reach - just to test my luck ). But, one acceptance is enough - I can only go to so many schools at once!

Congrats to me.

Sharing laughs and good times doesn't make up for a solid foundation - Fluorescent
RecordProducer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2008, 9:26 PM   #2
Established Member

Journal Entries: 2
Hey RP, 'Grats!! That's no small accomplishment.
Trialbyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2008, 9:26 PM   #3
Established Member

Yee-haw...... Here Here....Art raises a glass ( of orange juice ) * clink *

RP.. that is wonderful news... I wish you luck on your next step on your journey..
Old 28th January 2008, 9:26 PM   #4
Established Member

Congratulations!! So many doors opening for you...very exciting!
Sweetcheripie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2008, 9:27 PM   #5
Established Member

Congratulations, RP! I'm really happy for you!!

That's wonderful news, and well deserved.
norajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2008, 9:29 PM   #6
Established Member

Congrats, RP!
Sounds like the start of an exciting adventure.
Best wishes for your future,
Mustang
Mustang Sally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2008, 9:33 PM   #7

Journal Entries: 2
Congrats!!!!

Maybe I need to call you for patent lawyer contacts, incorporation help, or maybe a jail bail out because I'm a client @ 3am.

I'm happy that you are on your way to a more fullfilling life!
jerbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2008, 9:44 PM   #8
Established Member

Congrats!

I couldn't imagine filling out 30 applications! I filled out 4 applications for grad school and that was enough for me... at least for this year.
ShoeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2008, 9:50 PM   #9
Established Member

Thank you very much, everyone! You LS-ers have been there for me all along. I know I can always rely on you, guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art_Critic View Post
Yee-haw...... Here Here....Art raises a glass ( of orange juice ) * clink *
I quit drinking again and this time it's for good. So I am raising my glass of OJ and... tzing-tzing... attention please... I'd like to make a toast:

"I want to use this opportunity to thank my soon-to-be-ex-in-laws, who are not here with us tonight, from the very bottom of my heart - for being jerks and treating me like sh*t; because had they been nice to me, I would have probably never decided to move on with my life and become a lawyer. Everything they did to me inspired me to rise above my circimstances and reach for my inner strength and wisdom.

Because they raised the question of my "worth," I found the answer - exactly where I was looking for it. "

Thanks again, everybody.
Old 28th January 2008, 9:51 PM   #10
Established Member

Good job, RP.
Storyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2008, 9:54 PM   #11
Established Member

Thumbs up

A huge Congratulations RP! I admire you so much for following through and working on achieving your goals. You're a strong, amazing woman and I know that you have a happy and successful future ahead of you!
Old 28th January 2008, 10:06 PM   #12
Established Member

Journal Entries: 8

great acceptance speech, RP! Don't forget to moon the bastards as you exit stage left

I'm so glad you've posted, you've been on my mind, and I'm incredibly proud of you for chasing down your dreams the way you have. Go get 'em, tiger, rowrrrr ...

about the field you're looking into: according to my brother's ex-wife, there's an area of law called "intellectual property," which deals with ideas and thoughts (say like music or computer concepts) that aren't exactly tangible in the traditional sense, but nonetheless property of the one who created it. When she started telling me that this was the area of law she was interested in, I immediately thought of you and your particular background in music.

nobody will care about which law school I attended; my success (or lack thereof) will reflect my true capabilities and skills.

you don't know how true this is! As you get a more firm grasp of your field, what starts to matter more and more is your capabilities, not where you "came" from the average bear doesn't care if you're Ivy League or educated at a college out in the sticks of South Texas, he just wants to be assured that you know your stuff and that you're gonna be his biggest advocate.

like I said before, knock 'em dead, tiger
quankanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2008, 10:19 PM   #13
Established Member

Thanks SR, SG, and Allina.

I am so excited and I haven't even told my mom and some other people.

Had some "psychic" told me a few years ago: "Some day you're going to be a lawyer in America," I would have laughed hard and said, "Yeah, right!"

Well, this is just a beginning, but every road has a beginning.
Old 28th January 2008, 11:08 PM   #14
Established Member

Journal Entries: 1
Congrats to you RP.

You have now inspired me to go and be an Serbian singer.
Pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2008, 11:13 PM   #15
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecordProducer View Post
So I am raising my glass of OJ and... tzing-tzing... attention please... I'd like to make a toast:

"I want to use this opportunity to thank my soon-to-be-ex-in-laws, who are not here with us tonight, from the very bottom of my heart - for being jerks and treating me like sh*t; because had they been nice to me, I would have probably never decided to move on with my life and become a lawyer. Everything they did to me inspired me to rise above my circimstances and reach for my inner strength and wisdom.

Because they raised the question of my "worth," I found the answer - exactly where I was looking for it. "

Thanks again, everybody.

I guess things do have a way of working out for the best in the end.

Cheers to you!
norajane is offline   Reply With Quote