So I got my review today...

...positive, constructive feedback. We established some very obtainable goals, and they expressed how much value I provide to the firm. In addition, I received a *sort* of apology from one of my bosses for being an a$$. That made me smile inside. Overall, the substance of the review was surprising...in a good way.

However, the raise SUCKS. But it's not just me, they've implemented a step-increase situation. At my year, I'm eligible for up-to X raise, and I got X. But X sucks. Sucks bad, man.

If the money was bad AND the review was bad, I'd be outta here so fast.

I'm so torn... Should I stay or should I go?

• Author
What is X in percentage terms?

8. Not great, I know. But it's something...more than I expected given how sh*tty I've been treated by the one partner lately.

Thing is, they said that amount will be the amount for years to come...so the percentage will be less and less and less. Ultimately, I'd need to go elsewhere. I guess I'm just thinking I should stay a little longer so that my resume doesn't look so firm-hoppy...jumping from one ship to the next.

burning 4 revenge

Do you like your job? Or would there be opportunities you prefer?

Id probably stay, but Im a coward like that

• Author
Do you like your job? Or would there be opportunities you prefer?

Id probably stay, but Im a coward like that

I do like it. There are definitely some "quality of life" perks here that wouldn't exist at a big firm where the $$$ is much better.

Then again, I'm not sure the "quality of life" differential is worth the difference in pay.

I was ready to walk because, quite honestly, I didn't feel respected by my bosses. They changed my mind today.

I need to sleep on this... Probably for a few nights. *sigh*

Thing is, they said that amount will be the amount for years to come...so the percentage will be less and less and less. Ultimately, I'd need to go elsewhere. I guess I'm just thinking I should stay a little longer so that my resume doesn't look so firm-hoppy...jumping from one ship to the next.

Just like their policy changed this year, it will probably be completely different next year. I work for a pretty large company, and every year they change their approach. Every year, everywhere I've worked the rules have changed.

8% is pretty good, I think. I'd be happy to get that.

What do you mean "firm-hoppy"? How frequently do you jump ship?

• Author
What do you mean "firm-hoppy"? How frequently do you jump ship?

I'm at my 3rd firm in 5 years - but my last move was because I moved 400 miles to be closer to family. Most attorneys work at 2-3 firms during their entire legal career. However, the times are a changin'... it's becoming more common for attorneys to shop around for a deal that fits them just as well as the firm. Two of my colleagues are in the same exact boat, but without the "moving" excuse.

Prodigal Princess

Star, you have been unhappy there for so long, I'm surprised you are even considering staying. Did you get your points across about how you think things can be improved?

I'm sure they know you are unhappy, so no wonder they tried to make the review positive. But the crappy pay increase doesn't bode well. Sounds like they are all talk, no action.

Unless you think you can sweat it out for another year, despite being uninspired by your work, I would begin seriously hunting down other job opportunities.

I say stick it out for another year. Unless you're having a hard time paying the bills. Or unless they continue to make you work ludicrous hours. At least give it 6 months.

If you need it, you can always make extra money by posting pictures of yourself on the internet.

My review went pretty well this year, too. I've never gotten a bad one, but if I ever deserved a bad one, 2007 was the year for it. I guess the boss couldn't really afford to smack me. The project would be in some serious trouble if I left.

• Author
I guess the boss couldn't really afford to smack me. The project would be in some serious trouble if I left.

I think they feel the same way. In all honesty, they cannot afford to lose me right now.

You've received a pretty good increase, if you consider the cost of living increases that most people are receiving. Gotta' love private enterprise.

Anyways, you've got to consider your near future plans, with the possibility of moving again, in the next year or so.

Wait for the dust to settle in your LDR, before making any decisions. It kind of sucks having to stay, considering how unhappy you are with this firm but at least they gave you a decent review and raise, so you know they appreciate you.

• Author
Wait for the dust to settle in your LDR, before making any decisions. It kind of sucks having to stay, considering how unhappy you are with this firm but at least they gave you a decent review and raise, so you know they appreciate you.

That's exactly what I plan on doing.

As a side note, I think my career put pressure even additional on BF to figure his sh*t out. He knows I want to make a change, but can't really do that until we figure out what's happening with him/us.

I can be patient, and even if my LDR wasn't an issue, I still think I'd wait at least 6 months or so before making a move to another firm.

My raise was 2.?% so 8 sounds good to me. I suppose it depends on how much the cost of living increased in your area. Plus seniority would factor in. I assume you don't have much with 3 firms in 5 years.

Are you salaried? I assume so based on my John Grisham reading knowledge. How many hours do you "bill" weekly?

Isn't attorney pay based on billable hours?

Am I even speaking the right language?

Or is that just big firms? (Honestly, I'm clueless.)

• Author
Are you salaried? I assume so based on my John Grisham reading knowledge. How many hours do you "bill" weekly?

Isn't attorney pay based on billable hours?

Am I even speaking the right language?

Or is that just big firms? (Honestly, I'm clueless.)

Each firm has its own billable hour requirement. Most have a yearly requirement, others focus on a monthly requirement. The requirement is a base minimum - you gotta bill that number of hours (that is, your net hours after they cut your time!) in order to even keep your job. I'm salaried, but I do receive a productivity bonus at the end of the calendar year based on how many hours over the minimum I've billed for the previous year.

My firm's minimum is average: 1900 hours per year. With 2 weeks vacation, that's billing 38 hours per week...but you have to figure in at least 2-3 hours each day of non-billable crap, AND I don't get to bill for travel time, and I estimate I spend at least 150-200 hours a year traveling. In addition, there's an unspoken expectation that you bill somewhere closer to 2100. I've billed over 2200 for 2007, would be 2400 with travel time.

Oh, just start looking!!!

Whats the issue?

Got nothing to lose but time and you still have your job.

Keep your job, and look around. easy.

8. Not great, I know. But it's something...more than I expected given how sh*tty I've been treated by the one partner lately.

Geez. Our raises are usually 3%. You have no idea how good you have it. Try to keep it in perspective.

• Author
Geez. Our raises are usually 3%. You have no idea how good you have it. Try to keep it in perspective.

That's your industry. In my industry, an 8% raise is just okay. My SECRETARY received a 14% raise. 14%!!!

I got a 0% raise last year. Hopefully I will get something this year.

Why don't you put your feelers out so to speak.

But you could just wait to see what happens with your BF. I know you mentioned the possibility of moving in with him in another town.

That's your industry. In my industry, an 8% raise is just okay. My SECRETARY received a 14% raise. 14%!!!

I know 8% is disappointing, but if it's any consolation, your 8% raise is probably bigger in actual dollars than my biggest raise ever, which was 15%, and added less than three grand to my gross annual wages.

As for your secretary, maybe her field has gotten more competitive recently? Did you have any input as to her evaluation ans subsequent raise? Just wondering if she's worth her raise...

• Author

DDL - they've implemented a step-increase situation. Everyone is eligible for the same X amount increase, regardless of their base pay or position. I find that irritating. Not to discredit my secretary, but why is she entitled to the same amount of increase as an attorney who has advanced education and training? Also, eventually, the 8% that I just got will be worth virtually nothing.

This is where dollars and cents matter. If your secretary is making less than half your salary, the percentage is meaningless. Don't forget that she might be experiencing a grade change or equalization in her pay rate.

DDL - they've implemented a step-increase situation. Everyone is eligible for the same X amount increase, regardless of their base pay or position. I find that irritating. Not to discredit my secretary, but why is she entitled to the same amount of increase as an attorney who has advanced education and training? Also, eventually, the 8% that I just got will be worth virtually nothing.
I hate that system. Employers have become true wussies these days. Every one of them is so afraid of a lawsuit (great for your industry, but even lawyers don't like to be sued.) Raises should be based on merit and that is a real issue to me. I'm not currently employed, but I'm a great employee when I am, and it pains me to work hard, rarely miss work and always make up lost time when I did, and see someone who uses every sick day, often due to a hangnail, get the same raise.

While I'm on a roll, constructive criticism is fine and good, but it seems that reviews are required to have a certain amount of negativity these days, too. It's like no matter how you excel, they always want more productivity from less people every year. It's not uncommon for one person to handle the duties formerly done by three people. Employers want our nights, and weekends, all the while claiming to be "family values" oriented. What a load of rubbish!

<ddl steps off her soapbox>

There. I feel better now.

• Author
This is where dollars and cents matter. If your secretary is making less than half your salary, the percentage is meaningless. Don't forget that she might be experiencing a grade change or equalization in her pay rate.

I haven't had my morning coffee, perhaps that explains why I have no idea what mean... :o

I haven't had my morning coffee, perhaps that explains why I have no idea what mean... :o

I think she meant that 14% of 50k is $7,000.00 and 8% of 150k is $12,000.00

so the 8% increase was higher or worth more than the 14% increase meaning that the 2 aren't comparable in an apples to apples scenario and % doesn't mean as much as dollar value.

:laugh: Go get your morning coffee and have a few sips first, will ya'?

I'm just drinking my first cup of coffee now. This might explain why it doesn't make sense. ;)

If your secretary was initially underpaid (fairly new in the firm or oldtimer where her pay rate didn't get jumped up, in comparison to new hires in the same position) or moved up a class or two (junior to senior), this is the equalization, previously mentioned.

Also, the dollars and cents aspect is as follows. I'm using random salary figures for both of you:

SG: $80,000 * 8% = $6400/annum increase

Secretary: $40,000 * 14% = $5600/annum increase

She has received quite a bit less of an increase, if you look at it this way.