Will you get closer to your client?

I met this guy during one of the overseas meeting that I had to attend. He is one of my clients. Frankly, I found he is attractive yet I remind my self to be careful since he is my client and I am afraid it sounds not professional. So I just leave it quiet.

During the Christmas, I got an online card from him that he wished me a merry xmas. So I replied back thank you for the cute card and asked him what he would do during xmas. I told him that I will be in his country to visit some friends and he replied n asked me to meet up for coffee or dinner. I was puzzled so I turned it down and being diplomatic to him. He is indeed attractive but I always remember him as my client.

After a couple of weeks, he texted n said that he is in town and wonder if i would like to catch up.So I went and met him for a drink.He told me that he is single and not married ...bla .. bla .. bla which is great.. at least he is not a married man. It was rather peculiar and I didnt know what exactly to say to him because I was nervous and I am afraid if i will just make the business relationship messy later on.

The drink was ok and he called me again at night for a short chat. After 2 days he asked me again if I would like to meet up for a coffee before he left.

So i said ok and said i will meet him at the lobby , I was thinking of going to any coffee shop nearby. But to my surprise he brought me to his room but We didnt do anything. I was confused and not sure what would be the best.He asked me if I have a bf and he asked me if i have someone that I am close to. To cover up my nervous feeling, I ate sweets , fruits ... whatever on the table:lmao::lmao:. I told him that I dont mind to have him as my friend but I always feel that he is my client and then he asked me what he supposed to do to make me more comfortable with him. Stupidly, I said , I dont know and I said nothing ..It was just me.

In the end,we just chat @ his room and I didnt have any coffee as I was promised. So i just left and wished him a safe flight .he asked me when I would come for any meeting or meet him again. I said soon then he asked again which dates.I just mentioned any dates. That was it.

:lmao:

My question ...first, does he likes me ? Or he was just being friendly ?

Second, is it appropriate to get closer to your client ?

Second, is it appropriate to get closer to your client?

What does it say in your professional Code of Ethics?

If you are not bound by one, then potential risks include: loss of your income should client fire you, and damage to your reputation should client badmouth you.

EDITED TO ADD: Depending on the nature of your profession, could also be seen as inappropriate or a conflict of interest by other clients, bosses, etc.

But to my surprise he brought me to his room

If you look at this professionally and from a cautionary perspective, it would have been a good idea to suggest a public venue, before entering his room. Based on your opening post, you don't know him very well.

Even if someone tells you they're not married or don't have a girlfriend, especially if they're living in another country, you have no idea if this is for real. If at all possible, verify this, before proceeding any further.

As far as your client liking you, it appears so. To take Ronni_W's good advice one step further, reliant on your company policy or Code of Ethics, it could be the loss of your job.

• Author

hi Leoni & Ronni...thanks for your reply. Both of you had given me good advice. Re. his status as a single, yes you are right, it has to be double checked. I happened to see his profile on Facebook and some of his friends voted him as a most eligible single.. bla bla.. well, it has nothing to do with me. It just that I found him attractive, but it is good to keep a distance.

Edited by someone_here

On the other hand, nobody ever said love was safe and not without risk. As long as there is no specific rule against it, I think you can try. If you like him and want to start something, his being a customer is a weak reason to not try it. You can always arrange for someone else to take the account. Sure, it will be a loss to you professionally, but that's the chance you take.

• Author

Hi Kenyth . Thank u for the suggestion. It is rather difficult to try out , since he is living in other country. By the way, in my situation, I am a designer who design for his company and he is the general manager of that company. I am dealing with him and his board of member and the payment will be settled by the admin and my boss.

One of my colleague suggested me to try out but i have not heard anything from him lately,only some super short sms which relates to work. And I dont want to be the one who makes a move and what if he was just being friendly to me. If he likes me, he should have made some effort by now. Probably, I just should leave it as it is now.