Depression from being unemployed

big_girls_rock

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey everyone,

I am trying to cope with the depression of being unemployed. I seriously don't know what to do as of now. I am a 22 yr old college student trying to save up money to pay for spring semester.

I recently got my grant taken away for full time vacancy at my college for having bad grades. My family was going through some things with me and I ended up making stupid choices and not saving up for school and failing 3 out of 4 classes WITH grade penalties. My 2.7 GPA suffered horribly and I'm not scrambling to get it back up to par. For 3 months I have been looking for a job since I was released from my law firm receptionist gig at a temp agency and I haven't found work since. After 70+ resumes being shelled out, 15+ interviews, (not to mention phone interviews and walk in applications) I have nothing to show for it. Unfortunatly unless I get $800.00 before Jan 13th I doubt I will even be attending Spring semester.

I reside with a relative but he thinks its best to move back in with my parents for a month or two to straiten things out and get my life together. After a year I plan on moving back to the area and finishing up school. Even though wherever I move I will pursue my education. Though that may be the best route my parents aren't having it. They simply WON'T let me move back home. My cell phone is being cut off (by my relative) and I obviously don't have enough money to pay for that or (the random rent he's bestowed upon me)

All I need is a chance that no one seems to be giving me. I realize I have screwed up bad but no one is letting me redeem myself. I am very eager to try and get work if only someone will hire me. It's getting as bad as me going into random business and asking if they are hiring (as I should) and spending countless hours in front of my computer searching on just about every job database there is with little or no accuracy. These jobs range (not just office jobs) retail (and this is the craziest season for it) to general labor like cleaning homes! My friends and family just tell me to keep trying but after sending 70+ resumes it's starting to get a bit rediculous.

I feel for you. I hope everything turns on a dime in your favor very soon.

Our family just moved across the country with little funds. Three of us had to find work in less than two months to begin paying our bills. Its been 4 months and we all just now got jobs. Christmas is cancelled until next month, and we get to eat hotdogs again for supper tonight. So believe me when I say I know what you're going through.

Things turn around for different people. I'll tell you what worked for us, and see if anything appeals to you. :D

My mother-in-law bargained her way into a job that my husband had actually applied for. She asked to speak to the floor manager at the retail store and see if they needed two people for Xmas season at the price of one. She offered her management experience at minimum wages to help the store have a great season. They were so impressed at her nature and salesmanship, and also how she presented herself, they hired her on the spot. She is now a night manager and really loves the job. I know inside she was desperate, but it didn't show on her face or in her body language for one instant.

My husband sent out what seems like hundreds of resumes and applications. He became quite depressed and turned to video games to vent out his frustration. He received a call from his temp recruiter who offered advice. Revamp your resume and update your references. Even college professors or previous bosses he could put as references as long as they were updated and appropriate. He contacted 5 new people and changed his reference sheet completely. He revamped his resume almost 100% with the help of the HR recruiter at the temp agency, and was hired permanently within one week of sending out his resume. He is the current bread winner in a field where they are paying him to finish college courses and certifications!! Bam there's your money to finish school!

Myself, I went back into the old profession I used to hate. I landed a temp job and just talked to all of the people there. Got to know the area, the community, and one of them gave me a glowing reference to his wife, an assistant manager at a bank, that I was polite and sociable. I start Jan 7th making more money than I've made ever. And again, they offer education. It seems lots of businesses offer it. I normally treat myself as a temp, quiet and keep to myself. But I have no new friends here, so I stepped up and made myself known, my needs known, and asked for any guidance to finding a permanent job for myself. One man reached out and helped, and I sent him something nice for Xmas for his wife and kids as a thank you. And one thing he said on my last day, was, "you don't hate banking, you just weren't in the right place." the girls at my new bank, whom I've not met yet sent me a welcome card already.

So, hotdogs won't be for long, and its hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. But use your resources, outward instead of keeping it all inward. Someone is waiting out there to offer you the direction you need, keep asking until you find it. good luck to you, I put you on my blessing list and sending you good vibes!!!!

• Author
big_girls_rock

Wow,

This has got to be the best response I've EVER had on this site and I've been a member for like, two years.

Thank you so much for giving me insight and advice. I realize that even though I'm 22 and I feel like my world crashing down, I realize that there are other people in different previous situations like yours for example that have it a lot worse. I can't even imagine what I would do if I had an actual family to care for, and actual bills that needed to be paid.

I will actually take what you said and run with it. I know I've tried really hard, but I've also kind of slothed at things, been really nice, but kind of a pushover (when I'm really not) when it comes to getting the things I've wanted with this job situation. I've had plenty of time to "coax" my way into things but as soon as they say, "No, thanks." I say thank you and go about my business when I should actually leave them with an earful of my acomplishments and what I can do for the company. I see that you and your family like to "kill them with kindness" which is a great approach to things. It's good to show someone and let someone know that you are thankfull for each oppertunity. I really respect that. And I see it's going to be a very Merry Xmas for you guys because you've all been blessed wish such gr8 oppertunities. I may as well just have to wait until after xmas for anyone to take me seriously but I will keep my head up and keep looking.

Thank you.

Wow,

This has got to be the best response I've EVER had on this site and I've been a member for like, two years.

Thank you so much for giving me insight and advice. I realize that even though I'm 22 and I feel like my world crashing down, I realize that there are other people in different previous situations like yours for example that have it a lot worse. I can't even imagine what I would do if I had an actual family to care for, and actual bills that needed to be paid.

I will actually take what you said and run with it. I know I've tried really hard, but I've also kind of slothed at things, been really nice, but kind of a pushover (when I'm really not) when it comes to getting the things I've wanted with this job situation. I've had plenty of time to "coax" my way into things but as soon as they say, "No, thanks." I say thank you and go about my business when I should actually leave them with an earful of my acomplishments and what I can do for the company. I see that you and your family like to "kill them with kindness" which is a great approach to things. It's good to show someone and let someone know that you are thankfull for each oppertunity. I really respect that. And I see it's going to be a very Merry Xmas for you guys because you've all been blessed wish such gr8 oppertunities. I may as well just have to wait until after xmas for anyone to take me seriously but I will keep my head up and keep looking.

Thank you.

B-G-R

Things will definately turn around for you slowly but surely. Everytime I go through a crisis I always think to myself , someone else has it a lot worster than me. I was in a predictament sort of similar to yours. I got laid off from a job and Unemployment wasnt covering all my bills. Plus the bills were just piling higher and the bill collectors were calling excessively. I did a favor for someone and drove my car when I had no insurance and of course I got into a accident. (bummer) .. oh and the person who slammed into my car didnt have insurance either. So, now Im limited in transportation.

I went to seminars, went to see a career counselor, emailed, faxed, my resumes.. did the interviews.. and it seemed like nothing was progressing.

I sat at home just basiclly feeling sorry for myself. My friends would invite me out to go eat or just hang out, and I always had to decline because I had no money. And of course they would offer to pay, but who wants their friend shelling out money everytime you go out.

And after 3 months I found a job that I love, started school and everything is turning around. I got a brand new car. and love and support from people who I love. Well I had the love through out it all in the beginning.

point on point. things will turn around for you..

oh yea since I wasnt getting a lot of responses I changed my resume, looked up great interviewing techniques, looked up the company info i was interviewing for, and just remained positive.

Let me know me your g.p.a increases and you find another job.. because I know you will .. heres a hug hahaha \0/

What are you going to school for? Maybe you can find an apprenticeship in that field that will get you the experience you need and a much needed paycheck. It's not for everyone, but I believe you can get farther with 4 years of experience than you can with 4 years of college. Not always, but in a lot of fields you can. Good luck hun!

• 3 weeks later...
HokeyReligions

It sounds like its a lot more than unemployment depression. You have a lot going on in your life and the stress could overwhelm you. Don't try to solve all your problems at one time. Focus on a job right now because once you prove to Yourself that you are moving forward and maturing, you will be able to show family that you are really growing up and as you take care of your life one step at a time, you will not feel overwhelmed as you take on each new challenge and stress.

There is already some great advice here. I've been there too. Shortly after I was marred we both lost our jobs and lived in a VW Bug for a while - a 1973 VW!

We found an apartment by walking security in exchange for rent and I did laundry in the washateria.

One thing that has worked for me in the past is to send a Thank You letter immediately after an interview. I used to do it the old-fashioned way by mail, but nowadays I would send an email.

Always ask for a business card from whomever you interview with so you have the correct name and title.

Do some research on the company beforehand too so that you can ask some intelligent questions, or make comments when they are telling you about the company like "yes, I was reading about that on your website" which shows you are interested in the company, not just the job.

Rehearse your answers to tough questions so that you sound relaxed at the interview. Don't be afraid to pause in your responses! It shows you are seriously listening to the interviewer and thinking about the question.

Hotels and motels seem to hire people fairly regularly around here, it might be a make-do income for a while, and you never know what contacts you might make. Pet salon's too if you like animals and don't mind dog washing!

Remember, this won't last forever!

...one of them gave me a glowing reference to his wife, an assistant manager at a bank, that I was polite and sociable. I start Jan 7th making more money than I've made ever.

Hey KK - Just a quickie to wish you the very best at your new job! - Looks like 2008 is off to a great start for all three of you :)

B-G-R, KK covered most of what I thought might be useful -- updated resume and fresh perspective. Also take a long look at what vibe you *may* (even subconsciously) be sending out that potentially could turn off interviewers. There was a bit of 'victimhood' going on in your first post, but KK's already helped you take a different position, so no worries ;) -- good luck with your job search.

Interviews mean they liked your resume enough to call you in. If you don't get the job I think you should ask why. Tell them it is your method, something you always do after an interview. Also ask them what you could do better and if they can direct you to someone else who might be hiring now.

Give them your calling card (have some made) with your phone number and tell them thanks for everything. I think there is some reason you are dowsing the interviews. Apply for some civil service jobs at the city, state and federal levels. Also apply for jobs in nonprofit agencies. Good luck. Oh, yeah I hope you aren't taking your cell phone into interviews. Leave it in the car.