LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

What does "form team" mean when applied to business?

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Old 27th November 2007, 6:40 PM   #1

What does "form team" mean when applied to business?

I have been told by my boss that I am the "form team" in our company. He is a sports nut. How would you translate this?
BlueEyedGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2007, 6:46 PM   #2
Established Member

Journal Entries: 2
I've never heard that term before in business and I also enjoy a number of sports.

Are you from the UK? If so, might it be UK specific?
Trialbyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2007, 7:00 PM   #3

I'm not in the UK. Weird.

This is what I found when googling:
"Earlier in the week premiership favourites Parramatta labelled the Tigers the form team of the competition"

I think that it means team most likely to win in a competition or something. Not quite sure how it translates to me but I guess it's a compliment.
BlueEyedGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2007, 7:10 PM   #4
Established Member

Journal Entries: 2
You got me!!

It sounds Brit for some reason.
Trialbyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2007, 1:25 PM   #5
Established Member

I'm fairly sure it's a British thing. It's commonly used to describe the best team in a league, or in a specific competition. We'd probably call it the 'team to beat'

It's the equivalent of 'best in class' - not precisely the 'best ever', but 'best of those we have'. I've been told that in UK schools, especially high-end boarding schools, each grade, or 'form', has a soccer (football) team, made of the best players from that form, and that's where the term comes from.

As an american, I might be missing the nuances, or it might come originally from something other than boarding school soccer, but that's the gist.

I'd take it as a substantial compliment.
Deanster is offline   Reply With Quote