Resignation when your boss is away

Hi everyone.

I've got a question in regards to the best way to handle my resignation.

I've been offered a new job and at my current job I need to give one month's notice, as stipulated in the employment contract. Unfortunately my boss is away for the next 6 weeks and fairly difficult to reach in Australia (I am in the UK).

I would like to leave as painlessly and gracefully as possible, but previous experience has shown my boss tends to take it personally when staff resign. Ideally I would like to have a meeting and hand in the letter after explaining that I was leaving, but this will not be possible.

Any opinions on the best way of doing this?

Citizen Erased

You will have to inform him over the phone. Or via email. Does he have a mobile? Is he over here (I'm in Sydney btw) for a business trip or for a holiday? If for business then I am sure that you can contact him. If not, then hand it in to the person next in charge and that will have to do. You don't owe him anymore then the month's notice and a nice attitude.

• Author

Thanks for the reply, darlin_coco, but as we are a small company my boss also happens to be the company's boss and there is no one else I can resign to.

The boss is on holiday, annoyingly, and will be in Sydney in about 2 weeks.

Would it be rude to resign via email? I'm only so concerned because I don't want to burn any bridges and want to keep things as pleasant as possible because we may be working together in the future.

Hi everyone.

I've got a question in regards to the best way to handle my resignation.

I've been offered a new job and at my current job I need to give one month's notice, as stipulated in the employment contract. Unfortunately my boss is away for the next 6 weeks and fairly difficult to reach in Australia (I am in the UK).

I would like to leave as painlessly and gracefully as possible, but previous experience has shown my boss tends to take it personally when staff resign. Ideally I would like to have a meeting and hand in the letter after explaining that I was leaving, but this will not be possible.

Any opinions on the best way of doing this?

Could you try emailing your boss? How about contacting your boss after she/he returns from the vacation?

I think it is rude by email but I would suggest you email him and go from there. You might even have to call him to talk about something important.

If he is the company's boss then he understands the risks of being THE boss. Resignations can arrive at anytime, think of it as involuntary.

2 weeks holiday well it can eat into your customary notice of resignation, 30 days, 2 weeks, or whatever time frame.