Work being Scummy

Hey. I worked for Applebee's for one year. I was transferred to South Carolina Applebee's and I still work in Applebees in NY. Anybody who did a kitchen job called "expo" made 10.50 an hour. I was getting paid 8.50 because "I wasn't staying there and I go to college in the South." It's also because I make 6 dollars an hour doing that job in the south. It really pissed me off because the manager is just being an ******* because I'm not going to be around. He also said I'm not a compentant expo. I did very well. I could go to corporate about this and get the extra $2 an hour he should be paying me because I'm not starting at that job because I'm experienced. I think if I do that i may be fired, any help?

I worked at an Applebee's in college. LOVED it.

Most Applebee's restaurants are franchises, not corporate-owned. As a result, "going to corporate" isn't going to do you any good unless the new restaurant is corporate-owned (which is unlikely).

Also, I'm sure each state and area has different minimum wages and costs of living, which will obviously affect the wage of the position in different states.

That said, once at a new place of employment, you can't just demand higher pay without proving yourself. Your boss is telling you that you're an incompetent expo. I'd suggest you improve your job performance before demanding a raise.

SC and NY are two different states, it might also be a cost of living adjustment. Also when one is being transferred, the office politics of blaming the leaving person or scape goat is just easier.

Going to corporate won't do you much for that extra $2, if you are not full time. Part-timers under a certain amount of hours don't really get to much sympathy. Applebee's is now IHOP so going corporate might not help you as the IHOP CEO wants to sell corporate owned stores to franchisees.

• Author

I explained this poorly. I go to college in SC. I worked @ NY Applebees for a full year full time. Thats what I was saying.

After your clarification and rereading your original post. I can see why the manager did not give you the expo rating.

Giving an expo rating may not be worth giving to a person who works in college in SC when you are in NY. This is an aspect of office and corporate politics, yes you qaulify and met the requirements but realistically you would leave soon and giving you a $2 raise or expo rating is not worth it.