LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Considering another job change...

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd December 2007, 11:01 PM   #31
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillafool View Post
Thank you for your reply. I'm sorry about my ignorance pertaining to law. The person I'm talking about works for a large corporation in a large city and is general counsel in labor law. I think that's correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillafool View Post
Oh and he's worked for the corporation for at least 20 years.
Why are you trying to figure out how much someone makes? If this is any of your business you should be able to ask HIM.
Old 3rd December 2007, 11:08 PM   #32
Established Member

Sorry, Just curious. I'm not able to ask him.
stillafool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2007, 11:14 PM   #33
Established Member

Journal Entries: 1
Knowing other peoples salaries unfortunately isn't our business. I wish it was. I hate when people in my same job are secretive about what they make. I just wanna know if i'm comparable lol.
Old 3rd December 2007, 11:23 PM   #34
Established Member

I hear you but I'm sorry for getting off topic regarding this thread and we'd better get back to the original thread.
stillafool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2007, 11:36 PM   #35
Established Member

Journal Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Gazer View Post

On the other hand, I could also leave my current firm and actually go work for a truly large firm with the same office dynamic (if not better, because other professional benefits would be included) and get paid about $30-50K more, plus bonuses That's right. That's a lot of money. But it would come with the same disadvantages. That said, if it's the same gig, why not move on...right? Or am I having a grass-is-greener moment?

I'm not sure what advice I'm really looking for, or if I'm just processing my thoughts. I'm just so very, very tired at the end of every day, and I feel like it's all for nothing. If I'm going to have to spend a substantial amount of time away from my loved ones and not doing the things I love as I have over the past year, I feel as though it should be worth it - either monetarily, or from some inner self-satisfaction.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
I don't feel like you would be happy if you were to take a similar position as what you're in now, for more money. Money, as we all know, is nice to have, but if you dont get any free time to use it, what's the point in having it.

I think you know your answer here. You dont want to take the 30-50k more job because it would still render you a slave to the company.

If you believe you are able to live off the salary of a DA or something similar within the state system, then I'd say go for it. It sounds like it's what you really want to do. When you're doing something you really want to do, you wont notice it when you sometimes are at work past quitting time.

There are some days when I'm at work (rare - but some) that I get so excited and caught up in what I'm doing that I don't mind the extra time. However, more often than not, I find it hard to even drag myself in every day.

It's a hard decision, you'll really need to weigh your financial situation and see what you could pheasibly consider.
AriaIncognito is offline   Reply With Quote