LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Take out your piercings, damn it!

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Old 14th November 2007, 3:08 AM   #61
Established Member

No it's not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenMoon View Post
No offense meant to you at all, but this way of thinking is just stupid. It's discrimination on a lesser scale.

Discrimination is minimizing someone for something over which they have no control, such as gender, ethnicity, color, disabilities (as long as they can still do the job), etc.

In this case, it's an individual and reversible choice, not something inherited or inbred.

What has been described here is simply perception and a company's desire to project a certain, professional image to the public they're reliant upon for its very existance. It's their right.

I'm a manager in a highly visible arena in which appearance is extremely important. If someone comes to an interview anything less than dressed and groomed for professional success, they may as well not come at all. Long hair on men, inappropriate attire on women, multiple piercings or visible tattoos on either don't cut it.

By the way, as a former cop, tattoos remind me of body graffiti by inmates and gang members and it doesn't matter how "tasteful" or artsy they are.
Old 14th November 2007, 7:25 AM   #62
Established Member

I have my nose pierced and wear a very small stone. I too worry about the consequences of having a piercing when it comes to jobs.

Right now it's not a problem because I'm a student...but once I go into the working world, I wonder how it'll be received.

My reasons for piercing my nose are cultural as well as aesthetic.

I didn't even know they had flesh coloured rings. I must seek these things out.
Old 14th November 2007, 9:45 AM   #63
Established Member

Journal Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean-Blue View Post
I have my nose pierced and wear a very small stone. I too worry about the consequences of having a piercing when it comes to jobs.

Right now it's not a problem because I'm a student...but once I go into the working world, I wonder how it'll be received.

My reasons for piercing my nose are cultural as well as aesthetic.

I didn't even know they had flesh coloured rings. I must seek these things out.
At the expense of being called a reverse racist, O-B, nose piercings for your culture aren't a-typical, therefore, in my opinion, wouldn't be unacceptable. As long as it's discreet and tasteful, wouldn't affect a hiring.

I'm going to be blatantly reverse racist but honest. If a nose piercing is being worn by anyone else, where it's not cultural, I wouldn't hire.

If you're uncertain, why not remove it for the interview?
Trialbyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2007, 9:58 AM   #64
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trialbyfire View Post
At the expense of being called a reverse racist, O-B, nose piercings for your culture aren't a-typical, therefore, in my opinion, wouldn't be unacceptable. As long as it's discreet and tasteful, wouldn't affect a hiring.

I'm going to be blatantly reverse racist but honest. If a nose piercing is being worn by anyone else, where it's not cultural, I wouldn't hire.

You're right....that IS reverse racist. Who's to say what someone's "culture" is?

Look at African American women who were born in say....Pittsburg.....can they come into an interview wearing their tribal getup? I am guessing if they came into an interview wearing some sign of tribal decoration, you would not descriminate against them. And yet....they were born in Pittsburg!!!

I'm Scottish.....how about if I go to an interview in a kilt? Better yet, how about if my male relative goes to an interview in a kilt? It's cultural, isn't it?

I mean, c'mon...they're friggin Americans! Enough with this "cultural" bias which makes it ok for some and not others.
uniqueone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2007, 9:59 AM   #65
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueone View Post
You're right....that IS reverse racist. Who's to say what someone's "culture" is?

Look at African American women who were born in say....Pittsburg.....can they come into an interview wearing their tribal getup? I am guessing if they came into an interview wearing some sign of tribal decoration, you would not descriminate against them. And yet....they were born in Pittsburg!!!

I'm Scottish.....how about if I go to an interview in a kilt? Better yet, how about if my male relative goes to an interview in a kilt? It's cultural, isn't it?

I mean, c'mon...they're friggin Americans! Enough with this "cultural" bias which makes it ok for some and not others.
You bet and I stand by being racially tolerant, as long as it's discreet.
Old 14th November 2007, 10:56 AM   #66
Established Member

Quote:
....said the person standing in line at the unemployment office.......
Never been there. Never had to.

We live in a "tolerant" diverse culture, that rolls over at the tiniest hint of possible controversy. I thinks that's damn silly, I don't do it in my life, and I wouldn't do it in my hiring practices.

"He said he LIKED me, but he wasn't IN LIKE with me!" -King of the Hill
KittenMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2007, 11:00 AM   #67

i see where you are coming from, that she should have taken out her tongue ring for her interview..its unprofessional...in the same respect, I don't think having a tongue ring would effect her ability to be a receptionist. If they liked everything except that, they should just tell her no piercings when she is hired and tell her not to wear her tongue ring to work. not a big deal in my opinion...but that sucks for you
Old 14th November 2007, 11:04 AM   #68
Established Member

Quote:
Tats and piercings are not conservative.
What about military tats? If a guy walks in with a USMC tat (I see these everywhere) he'd probably get bonus points, but someone with a flower would lose points? Yet neither tat would affect their job performance.

And the old folks would probably swoon over a patriotic military tattoo.

I understand business is conservative, but I also know the difference between what affects someone's work and what doesn't- and forcing people into a narrow business ideal when they could be awesome assets to a business seems like bad business practice to me.

You don't need to break boundaries, but in business, pushing them isn't always a bad idea.
Old 14th November 2007, 11:06 AM   #69
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamgurl36 View Post
If they liked everything except that, they should just tell her no piercings when she is hired and tell her not to wear her tongue ring to work.
This is totally on the mark! Boundaries w/o discrimination.
Old 14th November 2007, 11:51 AM   #70
Established Member

Quote:

Personally, I'm fine with removing my nose ring when it comes to work (for the sake of conformity). My future line of work is such that...well appearances are everything. Although I have seen some in the industry sport tats and piercings...even crazy, bright coloured hair (engine red anyone?)

I would take it out, but you can tell that my nose is pierced (if you looked closely). So I'd much rather put a stud in that blended with my complexion...
Ocean-Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2007, 11:53 AM   #71
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean-Blue View Post
Personally, I'm fine with removing my nose ring when it comes to work (for the sake of conformity). My future line of work is such that...well appearances are everything. Although I have seen some in the industry sport tats and piercings...even crazy, bright coloured hair (engine red anyone?)

I would take it out, but you can tell that my nose is pierced (if you looked closely). So I'd much rather put a stud in that blended with my complexion...
A little cover up makeup applied over the hole, could easily conceal it. No one cares if it's discreet. People have acne scars more obvious than a piercing.
Old 14th November 2007, 11:58 AM   #72
Established Member

Quote:
A little cover up makeup applied over the hole, could easily conceal it. No one cares if it's discreet. People have acne scars more obvious than a piercing.
Hmm... Never tried that.

I'm also afraid that it'll close up if I take out the stud for too long.

I could always paint a stud pale brown - I'm sure that'd be real subtle.
Ocean-Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2007, 12:47 PM   #73
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamgurl36 View Post
If they liked everything except that, they should just tell her no piercings when she is hired and tell her not to wear her tongue ring to work. not a big deal in my opinion...
This would have been the best way to handle the situation, if it was felt that she was the most qualified person for the position. It's the company's loss not to at least notify her at the interview that she would have to remove the piercings if she wanted to work for them rather than disqualifying a potentially good employee outright without asking. Plenty of other professional places have asked prospective employees if they would cut their hair, shave, or cover up tattoos for the company - some will do so to get the job, some will not.
O'Malley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2007, 12:49 PM   #74
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Malley View Post
This would have been the best way to handle the situation, if it was felt that she was the most qualified person for the position. It's the company's loss not to at least notify her at the interview that she would have to remove the piercings if she wanted to work for them rather than disqualifying a potentially good employee outright without asking. Plenty of other professional places have asked prospective employees if they would cut their hair, shave, or cover up tattoos for the company - some will do so to get the job, some will not.
I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole. It would leave the door wide open for a civil suit.
Old 14th November 2007, 12:55 PM   #75
Established Member

Quote:
I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole. It would leave the door wide open for a civil suit.
That's what I was thinking.