LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Take out your piercings, damn it!

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Old 13th November 2007, 5:22 PM   #46
Established Member

Some people are really dumb when it comes to interviews. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to make a good first impression, and first impressions go a long way.
Old 13th November 2007, 5:22 PM   #47
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trialbyfire View Post
Since I've hired a lot of staff in the past, it's not so difficult to do. Most people know better than to show up to an interview with a tongue or facial piercing.
I'd prefer just to have hardworking, intelligent employees- some of the "professional looking" folks I have to work with are near useless.

If someone seems great except for a little piercing, I say take a chance, and tell Grandma that "so-and-so's an excellent worker" when she complains.

"He said he LIKED me, but he wasn't IN LIKE with me!" -King of the Hill
KittenMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 5:23 PM   #48
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art_Critic View Post
We had one girl show up for an interview here and she had her BF wait in the lobby while she was interviewing..
He was awful.. unbathed and a mess.. smelled like cig smoke.. what a bad mistake that was.. she was okay but having her BF there looking like that didn't win her any smart points..
Oh cmon, this is WAY worse than a piercing.
Old 13th November 2007, 5:25 PM   #49
Established Member

Journal Entries: 2
Quote:
How true.. the other thing people miss is the email addy that they put on their resumes.. HotFoxyMoma69@noemailjustalink.com gets the resume thrown in the trash..
With free email available to everyone there is no reason for a juvenile email addy.

We had one girl show up for an interview here and she had her BF wait in the lobby while she was interviewing..
He was awful.. unbathed and a mess.. smelled like cig smoke.. what a bad mistake that was.. she was okay but having her BF there looking like that didn't win her any smart points..
Hahaha...I've never seen an email address quite that juvenile, although there was one girl who included a pic of herself modeling lingerie.

Common sense FTW!!
Trialbyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 5:26 PM   #50
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenMoon View Post
If someone seems great except for a little piercing, I say take a chance, and tell Grandma that "so-and-so's an excellent worker" when she complains.
Economics.. The customers makes the rules.. We do those things because it is good for business..

Telling Grandma So and So anything or even giving her a reason to complain means she speaks by taking her All Mighty Dollar to your competitor..
Old 13th November 2007, 5:29 PM   #51
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trialbyfire View Post
Hahaha...I've never seen an email address quite that juvenile, although there was one girl who included a pic of herself modeling lingerie.
I saw a resume once where a girl spelled out her name alphanumerically. Like "N8T" or something like that.

And she had "cute" section titles, like instead of "Education" and listing her colleges, she called it "Where I partied".

She was making copies at a shop on our campus where my friend worked- he snagged a copy and put it up in our dorm hallway.

Now THAT"S worthy of not hiring someone.
Old 13th November 2007, 5:32 PM   #52
Established Member

Quote:
Telling Grandma So and So anything or even giving her a reason to complain means she speaks by taking her All Mighty Dollar to your competitor..
I believe in accomodating a customer, but only so far- I know this isn't the way we like to do business in this country, but sometimes I think the customer's "sense of entitlement" to get anything, anyways, anytime could use a good smackdown.
Old 13th November 2007, 5:35 PM   #53
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blind_otter View Post
This was her second interview with the managing partner. Blah. I wonder if she knew why she was being ushered out of the office so quickly. Maybe she thinks she just blew the second interview. Too bad you can't be direct with these kinds of things.
Did she come through a placement agency? You can tell the recruiter who works with her to give her some interviewing pointers...
norajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 5:36 PM   #54
Established Member

Quote:
I believe in accomodating a customer, but only so far- I know this isn't the way we like to do business in this country, but sometimes I think the customer's "sense of entitlement" to get anything, anyways, anytime could use a good smackdown.
You can't tell them anything if they don't come back...
norajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 5:37 PM   #55
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by norajane View Post
Did she come through a placement agency? You can tell the recruiter who works with her to give her some interviewing pointers...
Nope, I think she heard of the job through acquaintances or something.
blind_otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 5:43 PM   #56
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by norajane View Post
You can't tell them anything if they don't come back...
Oh well!

I have a wonderful memory of a Spanish woman I worked for literally yelling at this lady who came in and got all huffy when she couldn't have what she asked for at the price she wanted (which was neither a standard item, and the price she wanted to pay wouldn't cover the ingredients).

She chased the rude lady out, saying she didn't need her business.

And she didn't.
Old 13th November 2007, 5:58 PM   #57
Established Member

most people expect a certain apperance for certain positions.

It is just life. You wouldn't go to an interview with ripped jeans and dirty hair.
and expect to get a job.

First impression re very important. Just as you have aperson have only seconds to make one a business has only seconds to make a good first impression and hopefull win a new customer. so details matter.
Old 13th November 2007, 9:03 PM   #58
Established Member

Quote:
God, I want to argue this- IMO, a good receptionist is worth twice that of a middle of the road CEO!
Quote:
Kitten - nobody is trying to curtail your right to hire people with tongue piercings, or to smack down your customers. I think that if you have a good business idea that can accommodate receptionists with tongue piercings and customer smackdowns, you should, by all means, start that business and prosper! Why not lead the revolution into the next generation yourself?

Employment is not an entitlement; professionalism is not a requirement; fawning over customers and good customer service is not legally mandated; producing a quality, long-lasting product isn't the only way to do business. We aren't dealing with questions of right or wrong, simply questions of what one employer thinks will make sense to its bottom line.

Go out and start a business and do things your way. You absolutely have the right to call the shots.

But, depending on the business, the clientele, etc., I can imagine some employers deciding to go on the more cautious side. Will they miss some possibly qualified employees with tongue piercings? Maybe yes. In the long run, will it hurt their company health and/or bottom line? Probably not. Do they really care about much else? Likely no.

Last edited by Trimmer; 13th November 2007 at 9:06 PM..
Trimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 11:02 PM   #59
Established Member

Quote:

....said the person standing in line at the unemployment office.......
uniqueone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 11:12 PM   #60
Established Member

Quote:

There are days I look very conservative, and days I look punk, and no matter how I'm dressed, as long as I act maturely and address people respectfully, I've never gotten so much as a dirty look.

It's one thing to dress a certain way after you've been there for awhile (considering they don't mind). It's entirely another thing to dress that way on an interviews.
It doesn't matter how much people get away with wearing on the job, for an interview you should dress conservatively and this means no tats or piercings. Tats and piercings are not conservative.

Let's say that "Joe" shows up for the job interview wearing sandals and has painted toenails. With the job he's going to be doing (receptioist), he's going to be sitting at his desk most of the time so no one will see his toes much.

Should Joe get hired too?
uniqueone is offline   Reply With Quote