LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Take out your piercings, damn it!

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Old 13th November 2007, 1:48 PM   #1
Established Member

Take out your piercings, damn it!

I'm temporarily working as a receptionist at my office because we don't have one right now. We're interviewing for them. We had one potential candidate and I was ecstatic because I hate working as a receptionist on top of the other duties I have like bookkeeping and proofreading (it's hard to proofread when you have to answer the phone all the damn time).

So one girl had her second interview today - I was really hoping that she would get the damn job. But NOOoooOOooo, she had to be an idiot and wear her tongue ring into the interview.

Ok, I'm done venting. Thanks for listening.
Old 13th November 2007, 1:51 PM   #2
Established Member

Journal Entries: 2
I couldn't agree with you more. A business thrives on returning clients and customers, therefore, if it errs, it will err on the side of being conservative.

Take out your facial piercings and cover up your tattoos. Earrings are acceptable but try to keep it to one set, tops two sets.
Trialbyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 1:51 PM   #3

Tongue ring.

Now isn't that exciting to see, first thing in the professional morning.
jerbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 1:58 PM   #4
Established Member

The thing that burns me is that this was a great candidate for the position in every other way. Her experience was spot-on and she spoke well and carried herself well. She seemed like a good choice and she had to go and ruin it with a pierced tongue wagging all about. Grrrr. I hate answering phones.
blind_otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 1:59 PM   #5
Established Member

I have to agree, even though I had my own piercings (none now for medical reasons) and have tattoos. At the very least she could have gotten one of those 'invisible' ones that are tongue colored and wore that for the interview. I'm all about freedom of personal expression, but in the business world it just doesn't fly that way. Regardless of what people believe about how it should be, it is just a fact that in certain professions if you have tattoos and piercings, they should be covered or discreet in order to send across the appropriate company message.
Old 13th November 2007, 2:22 PM   #6
Established Member

This was her second interview with the managing partner. Blah. I wonder if she knew why she was being ushered out of the office so quickly. Maybe she thinks she just blew the second interview. Too bad you can't be direct with these kinds of things.
blind_otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 2:53 PM   #7
Established Member

Oh c'mon. It's not like she had a whole forehead full of piercings- if it was in her mouth, who give's a damn?

Piercing yourself doesn't do anything to anyone else, except hold a mirror up to their conservative view about something that's totally inconsequential.

"He said he LIKED me, but he wasn't IN LIKE with me!" -King of the Hill
KittenMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 3:11 PM   #8
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenMoon View Post
Oh c'mon. It's not like she had a whole forehead full of piercings- if it was in her mouth, who give's a damn?
The guys running the company...

We have a very open atmosphere around here. ( Art Studio ).. Artists are very expressive.. some have tats and piercings here..
But I would never hire a front phone receptionist with a tongue piercing..

Company look.. would I want the first impression to customers of my company to be a woman with a tongue piercing.. No..

Sorry BO.. they will find someone.. till then can I call you and hang up a dozen times?

Last edited by Art_Critic; 13th November 2007 at 3:18 PM..
Art_Critic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 3:31 PM   #9
Established Member

Quote:
till then can I call you and hang up a dozen times?
I'll call too! We'll tag team her!

Certain piercings are offensive to look at, nose rings, eyebrow rings, big ass spacers in the ears to make the hole look bigger (yuk, to see through someone's ear hole is GROSS), tongue piercings - When you're trying to run a business, you want professional looking people.
whichwayisup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 3:59 PM   #10
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art_Critic View Post
Company look.. would I want the first impression to customers of my company to be a woman with a tongue piercing.. No..
If she dressed, spoke, and acted professionally, what's the difference?
Old 13th November 2007, 4:02 PM   #11
Established Member

Quote:
By that same token, what if someone had a full facial tattoo of Darthvader? If he/she dressed, spoke and acted professionally, would you hire them in a Money Management firm, for your reception desk?

While it would be nice to always have personal freedoms, people are hired by the employer, then paid by the employer whereby the employee manual should govern appropriate office attire and professional look.
Old 13th November 2007, 4:04 PM   #12
Established Member

Quote:
I get what you are saying, but unfortunately the business world does see a difference. They know that a good deal of people have preconceived notions about people with tattoos and piercings and do not want those notions associated with their company.
LucreziaBorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 4:09 PM   #13
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trialbyfire View Post
By that same token, what if someone had a full facial tattoo of Darthvader? If he/she dressed, spoke and acted professionally, would you hire them in a Money Management firm, for your reception desk?
Ok, keep things in perspective- a full facial tattoo is very different from a small piercing that isn't visible most of the time.

But how about this- what if they had lots of facial tattoos because of a tribal lifestyle, then moved to the Western world, got educated, and went looking for a job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucreziaBorgia View Post
I get what you are saying, but unfortunately the business world does see a difference. They know that a good deal of people have preconceived notions about people with tattoos and piercings and do not want those notions associated with their company.
No offense meant to you at all, but this way of thinking is just stupid. It's discrimination on a lesser scale.
Old 13th November 2007, 4:12 PM   #14
Established Member

Quote:
Ok, keep things in perspective- a full facial tattoo is very different from a small piercing that isn't visible most of the time.

But how about this- what if they had lots of facial tattoos because of a tribal lifestyle, then moved to the Western world, got educated, and went looking for a job?
It's because you find this acceptable whereby an 80 year-old grandmother or grandfather would not.

The nature of business is to find the least offensive and professional look, hence erring on the side of conservative.

I wouldn't hire anyone with any facial tattoos, even if it's within the back office, nevermind the front desk. If people want to have tattoos, cover them up.
Old 13th November 2007, 4:19 PM   #15
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trialbyfire View Post
It's because you find this acceptable whereby an 80 year-old grandmother or grandfather would not.

The nature of business is to find the least offensive and professional look, hence erring on the side of conservative.

I wouldn't hire anyone with any facial tattoos, even if it's within the back office, nevermind the front desk. If people want to have tattoos, cover them up.
Well, there are a lot of 80-year olds that are still taken aback by seeing a black person in anything other than a subservient occupation.

Professionalism is one thing, but it seems like we're SOOOOOO paranoid about the smallest offenses that the line of "acceptable" takes forever to inch forward. And it enforces the idea that there's something off about people who choose to look ever the slightest bit different.

There are days I look very conservative, and days I look punk, and no matter how I'm dressed, as long as I act maturely and address people respectfully, I've never gotten so much as a dirty look.