Yet another incident my company pulls that makes me sick

I'm always ranting and raving in here but this one takes the cake now. I overheard my snake boss once again whispering. What about this time? Well, I have a coworker who has been out on disability for a few months now. Why? Because she has cancer. Has had operations and is now suffering through kemo therapy. And from what I remember was well liked and a good worker. I remember my boss complaining how she wasn't working and he had at least thought she could put in a couple hours of work from home each day:rolleyes: I almost wanted to punch him. Someone has a life threatning disease, had to uproot their whole life and you think putting in a few hrs of work for you is remotely near their brain. Disgusting. And of couse the only reason he was worried was to protect his own as#. So I overheard him on the phone with hr saying that they want to fire her within the next 60 days bc the moral of the company is down..right. And the topper...he said "I would rather not do this so if hr can handle this directly it would great". Talk about spineless. And right before the holidays. This gives me even that much more incentive to continue on my job search, taking my sick days and realizing that I owe this company 0 in return.

Wow. Unbelievable how some people can be so uncaring and thoughtless! Good thing you're leaving! Doesn't anyone else know what an ar$e he is?

• Author
Wow. Unbelievable how some people can be so uncaring and thoughtless! Good thing you're leaving! Doesn't anyone else know what an ar$e he is?

I'm not leaving yet, unfortunately. Still looking. And apparently no one else, besides me, knows what an ahole he is or maybe they do...

I'm not leaving yet, unfortunately. Still job hunting. No, I'm the only one who sits by him and gets to hear it all.

Same here. I'm leaving because the increment I got is nothing compared to the amount of hours I have been putting for the past 12 months!!

Oh well, I hope someone else will realise what an ar$e he is!

So I overheard him on the phone with hr saying that they want to fire her within the next 60 days bc the moral of the company is down..right.

Hoo boy... If he thinks morale is bad now, just wait until the company dumps someone in the middle of a cancer fight/chemo, etc.... Boy, no matter what reason they give, there will be no way the company can spin that one to avoid internal damage. The "real story" will spread like a black plague. How clueless can he be? Maybe someone in HR will have some sense and talk him out of it...

RecordProducer
Hoo boy... If he thinks morale is bad now, just wait until the company dumps someone in the middle of a cancer fight/chemo, etc.... Boy, no matter what reason they give, there will be no way the company can spin that one to avoid internal damage. The "real story" will spread like a black plague. How clueless can he be? Maybe someone in HR will have some sense and talk him out of it...

I know a person who was fired after a car accident. He was not at fault and his back got hurt so badly that he couldn't go to work. I don't know how long it took them to lay him off (I think about 12-18 months). The guy declared bankrupcy and lost his house. In addition, his wife dumped him and took their daughters. He is 38, MBA degree, worked as a financial analysts or something like that in Chicago. He is going to have a back surgery soon.

I don't think the firing due to illness practice is so unusual. Speaking of morale, when a big company can afford to help out a loyal employee, it would be nice of them. But if we're talking about a small company that's struggling financially, paying someone tens of thousands plus hiring someone else and paying them to do the job might be too much to expect. I am very compassionate toward people who experience misfortune, but after all, it's THEIR misfortune and they get disability/social help.

The morale is probably somewhere in the middle between what's fair for both sides. Neither the employee should suffer severe hardship nor the employeer should spend a lot of money straight from his pocket. There are many variables involved and some of them are: the period the employee has worked for the company, her salary, her personal financial situation, age, number of minor children, etc. After all, it's more the government's field of work than private companies' if you ask me.

I don't for a minute expect a company to keep paying an employee's salary who is on disability leave - I agree with you that this is an unreasonable burden. But a lot of companies will at least "keep the door open", so you have a place to go when you get back. That doesn't cost much at all, and sure creates a lot of goodwill...

Anyway, my post was not addressing the justifiability of letting her go. My only point is that if the boss thinks that morale is down because she is still employed there, and that letting her go will help improve the morale situation among the employees, he is very likely to be mistaken.

Yeap that is true, Trimmer. A company should keep the door open. I don't know how the staff is going to survive now. No job and is having a life threatening desease.

• Author
I know a person who was fired after a car accident. He was not at fault and his back got hurt so badly that he couldn't go to work. I don't know how long it took them to lay him off (I think about 12-18 months). The guy declared bankrupcy and lost his house. In addition, his wife dumped him and took their daughters. He is 38, MBA degree, worked as a financial analysts or something like that in Chicago. He is going to have a back surgery soon.

I don't think the firing due to illness practice is so unusual. Speaking of morale, when a big company can afford to help out a loyal employee, it would be nice of them. But if we're talking about a small company that's struggling financially, paying someone tens of thousands plus hiring someone else and paying them to do the job might be too much to expect. I am very compassionate toward people who experience misfortune, but after all, it's THEIR misfortune and they get disability/social help.

The morale is probably somewhere in the middle between what's fair for both sides. Neither the employee should suffer severe hardship nor the employeer should spend a lot of money straight from his pocket. There are many variables involved and some of them are: the period the employee has worked for the company, her salary, her personal financial situation, age, number of minor children, etc. After all, it's more the government's field of work than private companies' if you ask me.

The company I work for is huge and international, the furthest thing from small.

RecordProducer
Anyway, my post was not addressing the justifiability of letting her go. My only point is that if the boss thinks that morale is down because she is still employed there, and that letting her go will help improve the morale situation among the employees, he is very likely to be mistaken.
I garee with you that he sounded like a moron.

I just want to add that I by no means think that this world should be so cruel and everyone should only care about his or her own ass. I admire the Native American triebs' mentality of sharing and dividing all assets with all memebers of the community. I've been an idealist my whole life and I am learning to be a realist for a change.

I am acquainted with the mindset of the capital owners and I don't appreciate it much. In casual language: everything is business to them. If they make millions or billions a year, but they can make $500 extra - it's business to them. They feel good about piling up pennies just like they feel about their millions. They also have the attitude "I owe them nothing" and "Everyone should look after themselves."

The person I described who lost his job, house, family, and declared bankrupcy was my husband's brother whom I've never met. My husband said he should learn to be responsible for himself and "How come it didn't happen to me?" when the guy borrowed money from his parents. I reminded him that his brother had a car accident and it could have happened to anyone! It wasn't even his fault.

He feels the same about me and our divorced: he is sooooooo pissed that he has to give me $125k according to our postnup and this amount is nothing to him. But he "owes me nothing" and I should be thankful what what he has done for me and he is not resaponsible for me or my children.

Sure, legally speaking, these people have a right to kcik you out in the street regardless of whether you are an ex-spouse with two kids, no money, job, family or friends around or an ex-employee with cancer. But this world sucks and some people suck. But guess what: it sucks mostly for THEM. It must be a very lonely life to be responsible JUST for yourself and owe nothing to anyone. I guess if he ever gets cancer (God forbid!), I should remind him that I owe HIM nothing and he should look after himself. :cool::mad: