LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Attorney didn't pay for my per-job project; reasonable time?

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Old 3rd November 2007, 12:05 AM   #1
Established Member

Attorney didn't pay for my per-job project; reasonable time?

Hi,

I'm a work-from-home paralegal. I offer a per-job arrangement: you send me the issue, I'll send you the work and bill you for my time. I advertise online. An attorney contacted me, we talked on the phone, he explained the situation in depth and I performed the work - rush project, and I did it in a day.

I called a few hours after emailing him the work and told him it was done. He sounded excited that I got the work in quickly. I billed him over email at the same time that I sent the project. I don't know if he checked his email (But he obviously knew it was done).

When is it reasonable for him to pay? What should I do if I don't get a payment by Monday?

Sunblast
Sunblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2007, 12:15 AM   #2
Established Member

Did you discuss billing and payment with this attorney in addition to the work?
underpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2007, 12:43 AM   #3
Established Member

My ad said my terms: payment on delivery. I said it orally, too.
Sunblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2007, 12:49 AM   #4
Established Member

Oh,

So I suppose there is a wire transfer type arrangement.

If I were you I might follow up on Monday with a call and have a confirmation also emailed to you.

If the work was turned in today then they might also need time to proof it and make sure they have all that they need.
underpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2007, 3:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunblast View Post
It seems like a stupid question, and maybe it is -- after all, most lawyers are completely overworked. Having been through law school and in the working world a little bit, I should know.
Having been through "law school" (!) you should know the answer to this question.
Star Gazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2007, 3:27 PM   #6
Established Member

Journal Entries: 2
Common sense dictates that he will either pay or not, within whatever time frame works best for him. If he never pays, you know what to do, don't you?
Trialbyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2007, 4:16 PM   #7
Established Member

My attorney just sends me the bill, which is nothing but a paper stating the service and the amount I owe him with his signature (I am the client). Then I send him a check. Can you do this? Mail the bill to his address? That's what attorneys do so they are used to it. I wouldn't worry about him NOT paying you. He will, just call him and ask him if he wants you to mail it to him.

Sharing laughs and good times doesn't make up for a solid foundation - Fluorescent
RecordProducer is offline   Reply With Quote