Unemployed and no end in sight

Being unemployed is the most depressing thing I have ever gone through. The worst part is that had that boss not been a psycho I would still be at my original job where at least I was making okay money. Now I have been forced to pick up a part time job while I look making 3 bucks less an hour than I was before.

I don't know what I am doing wrong!! I graduated top of my class, I apply for just about everything half decent. Granted my resume only consists of one job but I was there 6 years. I thought stability was a good thing. I thought after I graduated college that I would find a job pretty quick. Does anyone have any advice on job hunting. Or just some way to cheer up while going through this. I feel like I am moving backwards instead of forward. I guess I just need some words of encouragement or some people that understand what I'm going through.

Sweetcheripie

I'm sorry - I know this is a hard time. First thing, have you contacted any recruiters. Have them look at your resume and make sure that it is accentuating all your excellent features - I would definitely state that you were top in your class, etc.

As a part time job, have you considered waitressing? Usually you work at nights and weekends so gives you flexibility to keep interviewing and looking during the week and with tips provides a nice little income to keep the wolves from the door.

Where do you live? Would it be better to move to an area where there are more jobs?

i'm not sure how much i can encourage, but i have been umemployed for almost two months, no one is hiring in my industry right now...only ones that may be hiring are out of my town so i have been pondering the ole career change (just tried this morning to apply for a truck driving deal...i like to drive and the pay is good, but my computer crashed after filling out forms). the only problem with it is that i could be away from home a lot.

and i have a wife and soon-to-be two year old to support. his birthday is coming up and i can't afford to buy him anything so he is getting some hand me downs (raided my parents attic yesterday---YES, somehow, they still have some toys from my childhood there). and then there is Christmas on the horizon.

we are selling both cars, too...drive something cheaper.

sorry, none of this helps i'm sure. all i can say is that i know that both of us will find what we want and need, to make us happy, enjoy going to work and that is good paying. the job market is very tough right now, in my area and my industry....but we both need to have faith.

I've been unemployed before and it sucks. Maybe you should get some friends/family to review your resume to see if you can fluff it up a little bit. Or use this time to do volunteer work. That always looks good on a resume.

I'm sorry - I know this is a hard time. First thing, have you contacted any recruiters. Have them look at your resume and make sure that it is accentuating all your excellent features - I would definitely state that you were top in your class, etc.

As a part time job, have you considered waitressing? Usually you work at nights and weekends so gives you flexibility to keep interviewing and looking during the week and with tips provides a nice little income to keep the wolves from the door.

Where do you live? Would it be better to move to an area where there are more jobs?

well said....this is more encouraging and helpful than my depressing ass.

chin up, sarah!

• Author

Thanks for the kind words everyone, it's just a kick in the a$$ to work so hard and end up like this. Maybe I should fluff up my resume......the other problem is that my degree seems worthless. Not only did I love my major and now I don't know what I was thinking (tuition well spent) but the fact that everyone wants work experience. I have a lot of things I would like to do but I don't have any experience in them. The vicious cycle is that if no one gives me a shot how will I ever GET experience in them? The whole thing is frustrating. So many people who are hard workers and are just looking for an opportunity. Ugh it just feels good to say all the stuff that is whirling around my head all day.:mad:

Not any advice here, just wanted to tell you I know how ya feel, I am in the exact same position, felt like I was reading my own words actually, lol.

And this is not directed at the PP who said it, but the advice of 'move away to find a job' drives me nuts! I know sometimes it is an option, and works for some people, but some people say it in the same way they say to tweak your resume. It's not that easy to move! Especially when you are unemployed and have no money to do so. And all your family lives here, and friends, and so moving away would do what? ONLY find you a job? I know it's important, and we need jobs, but jeez, it can't be the only thing in life.

I am not saying it is bad advice, but I hear it all the time, and people make it sound like it's so easy to do, and like, why don't you have the moving truck packed already??

Sorry, just needed to vent about that one. And sorry to the PP who mentioned it, wasn't your fault it set me off, lol. :o

Being unemployed is the most depressing thing I have ever gone through. The worst part is that had that boss not been a psycho I would still be at my original job where at least I was making okay money. Now I have been forced to pick up a part time job while I look making 3 bucks less an hour than I was before.

I don't know what I am doing wrong!! I graduated top of my class, I apply for just about everything half decent. Granted my resume only consists of one job but I was there 6 years. I thought stability was a good thing. I thought after I graduated college that I would find a job pretty quick. Does anyone have any advice on job hunting. Or just some way to cheer up while going through this. I feel like I am moving backwards instead of forward. I guess I just need some words of encouragement or some people that understand what I'm going through.

Sarah--

Massachusetts has great career centers where you can network, re-work your resume, and have schooling paid for.

You might want to make an appointment with them--Greenfield, Northampton, and Pittsfield have career centers. I am not sure what is available if you are further south.

I was laid off from my job 6 years ago and I took a lot of computer and accounting courses. It was all free and the classes were held at UMASS.

Looking back, being laid off was the best thing that happened to me, it literally changed my life.

Good luck--the job situation is tough right now.

• Author

Kasan, your advice is greatly appreciated. I am definitley going to look into that. At this point I am want to explore every option. Thanks again for the tip. It sounds like it would be a HUGE help for me. Abandoned, lets try to stay positive, something will come along. Obviously I feel pretty down too but patience isn't a virtue because it's easy ;)

with_out_a_safteynet

Sarah, Keep your head up... I notice alot in this world that ppl just care to get there degrees and think its smooth sailing from there but thats far from the truth. Make sure what ever your doing in life, gets you in path that your gonna have a drive for, a passion for and most importantly love what your doing. Once you start that path everything else will fall into place. Just stay focus and have perseverance you will be ok.:bunny:

Obviously I feel pretty down too but patience isn't a virtue because it's easy ;)

So true! :laugh:

Yes, something will come along for us, it just gets a litte discouraging along the way, but it's great to find support from those who get it!

AriaIncognito

Are you making sure to consider options that are beyond what you'd typically do, distance wise?

I used to commute 5 minutes to work every day and i was laid off back in 2003. I took a job that's 45 miles away (about 45-50 minutes with no traffic, in traffic about 90). I've been at that job for 4 years now almost, and while the commute does suck, it's a job.

Anyway just wanted to make sure you were considering options within a large-ish mileage radius, if you can drive.

www.monster.com

You can find not only jobs but employment agencies on there. I am where I am because of that website. Give it a shot! Best of luck my dear :bunny:

I have my current job, in part, because a recruiter found my resume online, I think at Monster. When I was out of work, my resume was plastered all over the place. (Reminder: If you post it somewhere like craigslist, don't include your name or address. Even consider removing your phone number and requesting that interested parties contact you via email. Don't want any kooks find you.)

As far as just having one job, consider putting your resume into a skill-based, responsibility-based format. This highlights all of the great experience you gained, your skills and all of the impressive things you did at your last job.

I'm sure you can find examples online and at Monster, and in a resume book from the bookstore.

In CA, you can post your resume with the state employment board. Look for that in MA, as well.

Good luck!

I was laid off from my job 6 years ago and I took a lot of computer and accounting courses. It was all free and the classes were held at UMASS.

Looking back, being laid off was the best thing that happened to me, it literally changed my life.

I was laid off from my job over 2 1/2 years ago; a job I loved. I was out of work for 4 of the 6 months that I was entitled to unemployment before I realized that this was my golden opportunity to move to a place that I'd always wanted to live.

Unemployment is state-based so I could go anywhere in the state and still collect my unemployment.

I now live and work in my dream location.

Moving isn't always the answer...unless it's something you want to do anyway.

And sometimes it IS the answer if you really live in a place where there just aren't any jobs.

Anyway, try to find the silver lining in your situation, hon.