Not able to talk during work

IhavenoFREAKINclue

Let me ask all you 9-5ers out there.

At my job, We get in trouble for having conversations at work.

We cannot get coffee during the work day (only on breaks and before 9)

If we are caught in conversation, the slick and sly, Uh I see that there are 15 orders here that have to be done. Sort of a shut up and work work work!

So the other day I get in trouble for having a cig, now we get 15 min a day besides our hour. So I said but I still have my 15 min and she goes yes but its busy season..hinting no i dont have my 15 during these months. So I asked would I get reimbursed for the 15 that I'm not taking and of course she said no....so eff her...I'm taking it!

So there are no water cooler conversations and we must work for 7 hours and 45 min.

Does this seem a little like 4th grade

Our employees here are like soldiers. Terrified of the commander and in sync with the daily tasks.

Anyone have a work place like this?

I'm really about ready to flip and tell my boss she'd have happier employees if it wasn't so tense around here. We would probably work better too if we were allowed to share our weekend with our co-workers.

The employees are miserable (but the $ is awesome)

Any easy way to deal with this?

Some places are just like that. And in some businesses, certain depts. are like that and others aren't. Where I work, there are some depts. like that. Those depts. consist of the lower on the totem pole employees. Other depts. (such as mine) are the total opposite. We yell to each other from each others offices occasionally, we joke around, etc.... Our boss doesn't care as long as the work gets done.

It's all where you choose to work and I'm sure you had an idea of this from the start, right? I don't think I'd tell management about how they'd have happier employees if it wasn't so tense there. It's obvious that the management where you work doesn't care about employee happiness. Not all places do.

For those who end up in a place like that, their only alternative is to leave and go elsewhere.

Regarding your break....that's mandated by law so technically they can't deny you that. However, many do and get away with it because, if you don't do what they say, they can always find a way to get rid of you for some obscure reason.

I once worked in fast food, it was the same work conditions as you are posting about. The are some industries that are like that, and some people like that type of work enviroment. You have to weigh the good with the bad and make a choice on staying or going...sucks, but sorry

I've never worked in an environment like that. And I think that if you're working a full, 8 hour day, they're legally required to give you a certain number of breaks. Well, in Cali, anyway. I don't know where you are. They might actually be breaking the law by limiting your breaks that much.

I wouldn't last 5 minutes in a working environment like that. I don't care how much money they were paying me, there's no way I'd put up with that crap!

Start looking for something else, even if it isn't as much money. Mental health and happiness is much more important!

I wouldn't last 5 minutes in a working environment like that. I don't care how much money they were paying me, there's no way I'd put up with that crap!

Start looking for something else, even if it isn't as much money. Mental health and happiness is much more important!

I know a place where the manager times their bathroom breaks!

AriaIncognito

I believe the rule is one 15 minute break for every 4 hours of work. Not sure how it works if you take a lunch. My employer isn't strict. We have conversations with eachother. We joke around and even have fun at times. It's not fun to work somewhere that people are always heads down. It's unhealthy really.

My coworker said his former employer was like that. He said it was like working in a library and he didn't really like it.

Anyway, if i were in your situation, I would start looking elsewhere.

It's just so weird the different environments there are.

In one of the depts. that has strict management, the manager moved the employees to different desks a few weeks ago (which caused a big headache for me!)

I asked the employees why their manager did that and no one knew (and they were too afraid to ask).

If MY manager did that in my dept. (and he would never just move us without warning), I would have no hesitation in asking him why.

Boy, sweatshops still exist, don't they? I thought I was working in a place like that, but it turned out it was mostly for show. I noticed the old salts and their ways of skirting the rules. It comes from experience sometimes. That and you get to the point where you essentially dare them to get rid of you. Oddly enough, if you work hard they just tolerate your insubordination sometimes. But you must prepare for the chop if you go down that road.