noforgiveness

I have a friend that I no longer speak with. We work for the same company but in different branches. He got fired (ha still loving it).

So today the VP from my branch asked me about him and his work. I told him he has great ideas and is intelligent, but he is a huge jerk and nobody gets along with him, co-workers or customers (he was going to offer him a position until I offered my opinion)

Thought I'd share. lol

Now though I am feeling a little guilty because he has a wife and kids and he will have a very hard time finding a new job in his field but his wife is just lazy. She has a degree and all and doesn't work and sits on her butt all day.

I did not want to work with this person so I did what was best for me.

1.) I didn’t get the man fired; he was fired for something he did on his own, him and nobody else.

2.) When the man was fired, he called me, because he needed support, and I am his friend.

3.) When I heard of the minuscule thing that he was fired for, I told my VP and others about the insane reason given for letting him go, and for the fact that we all do it on a day to day basis.

4.) After I told VP about the reason, VP thought it over for weeks, and came back to me.

5.) He asked my opinion because he was ready to go over my friend’s boss’s head and hire him for his group; this revelation came about for two reasons. – I expressed how I didn’t understand how our company could fire a brilliant, hard working man and – the reason he was fired was absolutely absurd. However, because my VP is a professional he also knows some people get fired for different reasons then actually said. And in this case that was the reason

My revenge was this, I could have withheld the real reason (which I found out about after the fog had been lifted) he was fired (his on going problems with personal relationships ) and been a true friend, giving him a job. I posted the thread because after I made the decision not to sugar coat my x-friends issues I felt guilty, but I also think that maybe I need to look out for my well being at my job, since I am the one that didn’t get fired. I needed some opinions on if I was acting in the correct way, because I am mature enough to know that I do have a personal investment in this. However, I didn’t intend for my post to be re-written by a BS in a matter that reflected me destroying a man’s career because I was a bitter OW. Now that everyone knows the real story, I am open to hear what everyone thinks of my actions, and if something needs clarification I am open to give.

KenzieAbsolutely

i think it's pretty sad that this board is being used by a member to "prove a point" about someone else's problems. i'd start a thread about it, but really, how many fake, useless threads should be allowed to crowd up the forum?

1.) I posted the thread because after I made the decision not to sugar coat my x-friends issues I felt guilty, but I also think that maybe I need to look out for my well being at my job, since I am the one that didn’t get fired. I needed some opinions on if I was acting in the correct way, because I am mature enough to know that I do have a personal investment in this.....

So I think I see the answer here, but I feel like I'm still having to parse and read between the lines. Can you tell me straight out - did you give your company VP your final, honest, objective-as-possible evaluation of whether the guy would have been a beneficial hire to the company?

In your discussion with your VP, did you give enough information to allow him to reconcile what sounds like your change of heart between the time you gave him this opinion:

I told my VP and others about the insane reason given for letting him go... I expressed how I didn’t understand how our company could fire a brilliant, hard working man and – the reason he was fired was absolutely absurd.

and this:

I told him he is smart and great ideas, but he is a huge jerk and nobody gets along with him, co-workers or customers (he was going to offer him a job until I said that)

From your telling, it sounds like you were instrumental in bringing the VP around towards hiring the guy with your original effusive praise ("how our company could fire a brilliant, hard working man..."), but then, once he was nearly committed, you were then instrumental in talking him out of it. Did it all come off as making sense to him in the end?

It is generally wrong to cause damage when you know that you are causing it. It is normal to feel bad about it but since you did it you can't un-do it. Can you? if you can do something positive to help him out, I think you should. That is the way I see it.

I have a friend that I no longer speak with. We work for the same company but in different branches. He got fired (ha still loving it).

So today the VP from my branch asked me about him and his work. I told him he has great ideas and is intelligent, but he is a huge jerk and nobody gets along with him, co-workers or customers (he was going to offer him a position until I offered my opinion)

Thought I'd share. lol

Now though I am feeling a little guilty because he has a wife and kids and he will have a very hard time finding a new job in his field but his wife is just lazy. She has a degree and all and doesn't work and sits on her butt all day.

I did not want to work with this person so I did what was best for me.

In a business sense it came off as me being upset that a a man I worked with could be fired for the reason he did, and after I calmed down and let the other "factors" come into play, my final opinion was the truth hands down.

The only thing that didn't make sense, if they really wanted to dig in is why a women like me, who doesn't get close to anyone, would care enough to stick her neck out for someone that didn't deserve it. That is what they are wondering. What I did now, was not wrong, what I did in the begining (when we were friends, was non of my business and I should not have said anything) This would make more sense if I could tell what the thing was, but I can't, it would greatly limit who I was if someone wanted to.

If this is true...

...my final opinion was the truth hands down.

... and if you didn't twist it based on your personal feelings, and you really believe that he would not have made a good hire, then you (in the end) gave your company the information they needed to make a good hiring decision.

Do you owe your company the loyalty to tell them the truth when they ask about a potential hire? I think yes.

Did you owe this man any superceding loyalty to lie, omit, or alter the truth to help him get a position, when you were asked by your company? I think no.

If you truly believed he wasn't the right guy for the job, and you said so, then it's just another day at the office.

This would make more sense if I could tell what the thing was, but I can't, it would greatly limit who I was if someone wanted to.

Well, then naturally it limits the sense that we will be able to make out of the big picture, but you are right to consider maintaining your anonymity your first priority...

i think it's pretty sad that this board is being used by a member to "prove a point" about someone else's problems. i'd start a thread about it, but really, how many fake, useless threads should be allowed to crowd up the forum?

Indeed. I find it beyond ironic that a thread purporting to be about workplace ethics is riddled with such unethical practices, breaking numerous LS guidelines, including:

Stealing someone else's thread, and reposting under one's own name elsewhere. No links, no credits, nothing. Plagiarism is what it's called.

Trying to create a second, fake, board name to do it under, presumably because the poster knows it's wrong.

A glorified threadjack... "to prove a point".

It's proven a point, but I don't think it was the point the plagiarist intended.

I hope everyone who's similary unimpressed has used the "alert us" button to notify the mods of this abuse.