Working with women

I've been at my current job a little less than a year and it's mainly women. I'd always smile to and usually say hi to people that I'd pass in the halls.

There's this one woman who works in a department of a friend of mine and I'd smile and say hi to her and she'd say hi back. After awhile I'd notice that if she'd see me coming down the hall, she'd stop somewhere to look at something or find some excuse to look the other way.

After this happened I number of times, I got the hint and when I'd pass her, I no longer smiled at her. I don't even look at her when I pass by now.

I'll see her be real friendly with some other women though so she's not like this with everyone.

I asked the guy in her department about it but he just shrugged (some guys are so clueless about the interactions between women......lol). His response was "What's not to like about you?"

Anyway, I pay no attention to it but when it happens now, sometimes the thought crosses my mind about why women have to act this way.

Guys don't act this way. Did you ever see men turning their nose up at other men they pass in the halls at work? [shakes head] Nooooo you don't.

This just makes women look stupid and immature.

What makes women act so differently than men? (Yes, I'm a woman, but I can't answer that for myself because I tend to act more like a guy in this respect.)

• Author
uniqueone

She is probably jealous. You must be one hot babe.

LOL...you're funny.

Actually, she IS the type who's rough around the edges and I'm not so she might see me as too different from herself maybe. Then there's the fact that I'm friends with her boss and he always flirts with me.

Like that's my fault though? Why do women always put the fault on the women and never the guy?

She just notices that you get attention from the boss and she doesn`t. She will be out to nail him to the wall over some issue. You just watch. Remember Linda Tripp?

Yeah, so don`t you be a part of it:lmao:

• Author
She just notices that you get attention from the boss and she doesn`t. She will be out to nail him to the wall over some issue. You just watch. Remember Linda Tripp?

Yeah, so don`t you be a part of it:lmao:

He's her boss but not my boss. I have nothing to do with their department. She's friends with him --well as far as the fact that she's always sending him email jokes anyway.

She must secretly hold something against you, and it could be anything. She might have made a bad judgment about your character based on hearsay and is too chickensheet to let actual interactions with either confirm or dispell it. In any case, to Heck with her! Oops. I meant h-e-double hockey sticks.

I'm a gay male. I know the same may not apply in your situation, but:

There is another attractive gay male I work with who avoids eye contact or any friendliness to me directly; including situations like walking past eachother in the halls; he is however extremely outgoing and friendly with everyone else. He'll look at the floor or to his right all the way up until we walk past eachother and that is when he'll pick his head up really fast with dilated pupils then he turns his head to the side again. He'll try to say "hello," but it comes out really weak like he's scared. It's funny 'cause he generally has a really loud and strong voice that carries throughout the office.

At first I thought he didn't like me or was just shy, but then I realized he was only shy and coy around me. His awkwardness is actually kind of cute to watch. I do catch him staring at me when he thinks I'm not looking and he tries to stand really close to me while mingling around other coworkers.

Maybe this woman is a little bit attracted to you and her awkwardness stems from a lack of self esteem (if she's unattractive physically) or some other reason. Or maybe you just make her feel insecure because you may be physically more attractive than she is?

I disagree with Loverboy69... I think that if that was the case, she would not have changed.. she would have been cold from the beginning...

She used to say hi...now she doesn't ... maybe she heard something about you that she didn't like... and that made her changed her attitude towards you... maybe she just finds you insignificant... and has no reason to talk to you anymore... who knows what others think of us...

I have no problem like that with the women I work with... but if something like that would happen... I would just go my way..and ignore her... simple.

• Author

Maybe this woman is a little bit attracted to you and her awkwardness stems from a lack of self esteem (if she's unattractive physically) or some other reason. Or maybe you just make her feel insecure because you may be physically more attractive than she is?

No, I don't think that it's because she's attracted to me. I think some women just resent some women for who knows what reason.

For instance, if a woman is built nice and wears attractive outfits, there are women who will say to their friends "Oh look at little-Miss-thinks-she's-hot." I have no idea if that's what she thinks. I DO know, however that women have said that about other women whom they didn't even know.

They do this not knowing the woman at all. The thing is, they don't get to know the person and find out that that other woman can be just like they are. They want to knock the other woman down to make themselves feel better.

But I don't see men doing this to each other.

• Author
I disagree with Loverboy69... I think that if that was the case, she would not have changed.. she would have been cold from the beginning...

She used to say hi...now she doesn't ... maybe she heard something about you that she didn't like... and that made her changed her attitude towards you... maybe she just finds you insignificant... and has no reason to talk to you anymore... who knows what others think of us...

I have no problem like that with the women I work with... but if something like that would happen... I would just go my way..and ignore her... simple.

I don't know if it's because she changed. I think she just said hi at first because I was saying it to her...plus I was friends with her boss. Then later she found a way to avoid saying it. When she USED to say it, I don't think it was genuine anyway....sort of a forced smile.

I've also noticed she looks down on a woman who works in her department (and talks about her behind her back). The woman she looks down on actually DOES act like a princess. And that woman is a bit more girly as well. So this woman may assume that any woman who shows some interest in how they look must be a princess type.

That definately is a stereotype that's out there.

I'm sure if I dressed down like she did and went out on the patio and smoked a cigarette with the group of smokers and talked about going out and having a beer, she'd give me her approval.

Don't think I'll be doing that anytime soon though.......

Don't think I'll be doing that anytime soon though.......

Fridge her. You defentially look better then her. Her jealousy comes out in the way she acts towards you. I deal with the same crap at my job which is weird bc I never experienced this at any of my jobs that I had in college. At my present job there are these 3 unattractive, nerdy, spinsters who are always whispering, or giving me the evil eye. From the day I started they were cold to me and the most conversation we have had was maybe about the weather lol. I'm attractive and dress nice and will continue to do so. Therefor, since they don't know me and I've never done anything to them, they have no reason not to like me. I'll force myself to say hello, just to be civil if I pass them in the hall and I get this half smile. So now that's what they get from me. I'm not going to kiss their behind bc they've been there longer then me or hold higher positions. Of course all the guys I work with are friendly with me and I have no problems with them. So it's defentially a female thing. I mean I don't spend my day giving other females the once over or dirty looks. Guess bc I'm not intimidated by other women.

They want to knock the other woman down to make themselves feel better.

But I don't see men doing this to each other.

No, I don't either. Men will make fun of other men, but rarely will they belittle them behind their backs like women appear to relish doing at times. Then women appear to be a lot more competitive with their appearance, where as men will not be as cut throat.

Heavenly, working with old spinster women is the pits for everyone. If I ever end up at a place like that again, I'm going to run screaming for the door.

betterthandead
No, I don't either. Men will make fun of other men, but rarely will they belittle them behind their backs like women appear to relish doing at times. Then women appear to be a lot more competitive with their appearance, where as men will not be as cut throat.

Heavenly, working with old spinster women is the pits for everyone. If I ever end up at a place like that again, I'm going to run screaming for the door.

Women "claim" they are better communicators. They are worse communicators than men. If a guy's gotta do something, HE WILL DO IT. He will say it. And men that sulk in the corner and act passive, they're not men, they're mama boys who never grew up. I've worked in an environment filled with women, man it's pretty nasty out there.

Like what you said, working with OLD women..especially OLD SINGLE UGLY BITTER LESBO DYKEY WOMEN is the worse.

There's this one woman who works in a department of a friend of mine and I'd smile and say hi to her and she'd say hi back. After awhile I'd notice that if she'd see me coming down the hall, she'd stop somewhere to look at something or find some excuse to look the other way.

I don't know if it's because she changed. I think she just said hi at first because I was saying it to her...plus I was friends with her boss. Then later she found a way to avoid saying it. When she USED to say it, I don't think it was genuine anyway....sort of a forced smile.

This reminds me of a Seinfeld episode, where Elaine was introduced to some guy in her building, so after that they would stop and chat, and then eventually it turned into just saying hello, and then just nodding their heads when they'd see each other, and then he stopped nodding, and finally they walk past each other with this animosity, like they hate each other and it's based on NOTHING.

I think there was also a Seinfeld episode where Jerry gets tired of always having to be nice and say hello to his neighbors in his building lobby because he doesn't really know them and doesn't care to be polite, so then, of course, they all turn on him and hate him.

I think you and this woman don't even know each other, and don't work together, and she didn't care enough to continue being 'politically correct' and polite. And now you're reading WAY TOO MUCH into it.

• Author
Fridge her. You defentially look better then her. Her jealousy comes out in the way she acts towards you. I deal with the same crap at my job which is weird bc I never experienced this at any of my jobs that I had in college. At my present job there are these 3 unattractive, nerdy, spinsters who are always whispering, or giving me the evil eye. From the day I started they were cold to me and the most conversation we have had was maybe about the weather lol. I'm attractive and dress nice and will continue to do so. Therefor, since they don't know me and I've never done anything to them, they have no reason not to like me. I'll force myself to say hello, just to be civil if I pass them in the hall and I get this half smile. So now that's what they get from me. I'm not going to kiss their behind bc they've been there longer then me or hold higher positions. Of course all the guys I work with are friendly with me and I have no problems with them. So it's defentially a female thing. I mean I don't spend my day giving other females the once over or dirty looks. Guess bc I'm not intimidated by other women.

Right on!

In this case, she's just a pion so it doesn't create any problems. It's just that it reminded me of how women do this and makes me wonder "WHY?"

• Author

Men make fun of other men to their face and that's entirely different. There's no deception. With women, there's deception. They can smile to your face one minute and trash you the next minute, without even blinking an eye.

• Author

Like what you said, working with OLD women..especially OLD SINGLE UGLY BITTER LESBO DYKEY WOMEN is the worse.

I don't agree with the older, single women part.....especially since I'm an older, single woman......:laugh:

I've seen it happen with all ranges of women.....young...old..single...married....attractive....unattractive....you name it.

Know what's embarrassing? When some of the guys I work with refer to some of these women as a bunch of hens.

One of them is my manager friend ("HER" manager). He supervises her and some other women and he calls them (the women in his dept.) hens because they act like hens!) He doesn't call them this to their face, btw....he's said it to me though.

Another one who has used that term is a close coworker of mine who goes out on smoke breaks with a lot of these women. He calls them hens beause they're out there b!tching about things.

It's embarrassing to me for my gender. Thankfully, the men don't think of me this way.

they're not old..they're in their 30s but I like the expression. I hear their extremely loud conversations every day whining about how they have to leave places early to take care of their cats and dogs, or whining how they can't get a date.