materialistic careers

Does anyone actually do for a living what they would choose if money wasn't an issue? Though I like my job I sure don't. There is nothing wrong with this or my past job, but if I didn't need money I wouldn't be here.

I would prefer to work at a bookstore, I think i would love that, especially Green Apple in San Francisco. Technically I suppose I could but I'm too greedy and money hungry to live on a bookstore wage. It's sort of pathetic.

Also I would love to be able to do construction. I want to learn how to build a house from the ground up. I'd like to be skilled with my hands and to be able to create something like a home.

Another thing I would love to do is go to school for my masters in something like art or theater, not even for the degree of a career in theater but just for fun.

Does anyone get restless like that? Am I just a typical corporate douche that will forever do bs meaningless worth because I want nice things and money?

• Author
I don't. If money were not an issue I'd play music for a living. Or tour the countryside reviewing karaoke bars. :D

I think you should create a site that rates karaoke bars, kind of like the burrito eater of karaoke :bunny:

I think you should create a site that rates karaoke bars, kind of like the burrito eater of karaoke :bunny:

I've thought about that, actually. :D I do, however, have a list on Yelp.

• Author
I've thought about that, actually. :D I do, however, have a list on Yelp.

I think you should do it. Yelp is great as well but I depend on it way too much.

Me too! I love my job.

If I could go back... I always wanted to be a doctor.

Good for you. Life's too short to continue grinding through something that you dislike, 40+ hours a week.

• Author
Me too! I love my job.

If I could go back... I always wanted to be a doctor.

You and TBF are lucky. I really can't complain and I do like my job but it wouldn't be my choice.

I think a lot of it has to do with the kind of person I am. Maybe it's just that I don't want an actual job. I want an advanced degree in something artsy, I think theater and a law degree, then after I finish those I want to focus on sea kayaking and work at a book store part time. I know it's not practical at all but if I could I think that's what I'd do, oh and the building a house thing.

Ok seeing all this written down makes me feel crazy :laugh::o

Not crazy, but it reminds me of that one scene in Fight Club:

"Gentlemen, what will you have wished you'd done before you died?"

"Build a house!"

"Paint a self portrait!"

:D

You and TBF are lucky. I really can't complain and I do like my job but it wouldn't be my choice.

I think a lot of it has to do with the kind of person I am. Maybe it's just that I don't want an actual job. I want an advanced degree in something artsy, I think theater and a law degree, then after I finish those I want to focus on sea kayaking and work at a book store part time. I know it's not practical at all but if I could I think that's what I'd do, oh and the building a house thing.

Well Its such an odd thing, because technically my job should really suck! I'm essentially middle management in a high pressure field. However, my direct manager is on the other side of the continent... and super cool to boot. My pay is awesome and the job is consistently challeging, and I'm really good at it.

I think thats the crux though! I enjoy my job so much because I am so good at it.

It's not luck allina. You have your opportunities work for you. Having said that, it helped to have a leg up to start and some excellent business mentors.

*raises hand*

I got incredibly lucky when I fell into this job 13 years ago. The pay is minimal but the benefits far outweigh the money part and my two immediate co-workers are pretty much my "family" of choice.

what amazes me is that when i was going to J-school, this was never touted as an option, only careers with metropolitan newspapers or writing ad copy for large, urban firms … the goal they promoted was prestige and fame on a grand scale, not satisfaction with knowing what you do actually made a difference in the lives of people within a small community ...

It's not luck allina. You have your opportunities work for you. Having said that, it helped to have a leg up to start and some excellent business mentors.

Wow, my englich, not good.

"You have to make your opportunites work for you."

• Author
*raises hand*

I got incredibly lucky when I fell into this job 13 years ago. The pay is minimal but the benefits far outweigh the money part and my two immediate co-workers are pretty much my "family" of choice.

what amazes me is that when i was going to J-school, this was never touted as an option, only careers with metropolitan newspapers or writing ad copy for large, urban firms … the goal they promoted was prestige and fame on a grand scale, not satisfaction with knowing what you do actually made a difference in the lives of people within a small community ...

That's awesome :) From what I remember you write for a Christian paper yes? Or am totally off?

"You have to make your opportunites work for you."

Well yes of course, but this isn't a situation where I lack opportunity or feel stuck in a job I hate.

I wrote out by desired life plan out above. I'm not unhappy where I am but if I could follow what I wrote I wanted to do I would be thrilled. Reality is I can't do those things, it's not practical or rational.

I suppose I could go work at a bookstore, I know I'd love it but it's impossible to support yourself on that.

My job is okay. There are good parts and frustrating parts. I would imagine most jobs are like this.

As far as longing to do something creative. All you need to do is to ...well...do it. You don't need an advanced degree to embark on an art project. Get some supplies and have at it. Chances are you have some things around the house that could be used.

I think fear prevents people from learning something new. Fear of not being ...good at it. The more you do the better you become. I am a fairly good artist. I know more about construction then I ever thought I would want to. It is a trail and error kind of thing. Believe me, I screw up alot.

Habitat for humanity would be a way to learn some simple construction and help out at the same time.

Local theaters would love volunteers (no money) to help out or be background characters.

Please post your pasta self portrait when complete.:D

I do have to say I don't know how many careers involve law and theater. Sounds like a law and order spin off.:laugh:

If you test out some areas of creativity that you like you will find what appeals to you on the most levels. If you decide to invest in an advanced degree you would have done the proper research. Or maybe, like me, you may prefer to keep your passions joyful and not stress about them having to be the only source of income.

my englich, not good.

duuuuddddeeee, you're in 'Merica now ... it's "engleesh" :laugh::laugh:

That's awesome From what I remember you write for a Christian paper yes?

yep, for a Catholic diocesan newspaper. Circulation of 13 thousand going out to homes in 33 counties in NE Texas, which is part of the "Bible Belt."

I guess for me, since journalism doesn't historically pay well for peon reporters, it wasn't that much of an adjustment in pay going from a secular to a religious employer, though the benefits are vastly improved than what I got in the secular world. And it's a VERY family-oriented job, which was an important factor in my staying so long.

don't give up your dream of working in a bookstore, just keep it in reach for a time when you *are* able to make that transition because you've got a nest egg or came into money unexpectedly. It's a fantastic (not to mention totally cool) goal to work toward ... books are wonderful!

(a quick aside: Have you read any of Jasper Fforde's stuff? His characters deal with the literary world in a quirky kind of way)

• Author

yep, for a Catholic diocesan newspaper. Circulation of 13 thousand going out to homes in 33 counties in NE Texas, which is part of the "Bible Belt."

I guess for me, since journalism doesn't historically pay well for peon reporters, it wasn't that much of an adjustment in pay going from a secular to a religious employer, though the benefits are vastly improved than what I got in the secular world. And it's a VERY family-oriented job, which was an important factor in my staying so long.

don't give up your dream of working in a bookstore, just keep it in reach for a time when you *are* able to make that transition because you've got a nest egg or came into money unexpectedly. It's a fantastic (not to mention totally cool) goal to work toward ... books are wonderful!

(a quick aside: Have you read any of Jasper Fforde's stuff? His characters deal with the literary world in a quirky kind of way)

Awesome, I think journalism is a great career.

I have not read anything by Jasper Fforde, I googled him and I think I'll check him out.

I think I'm too interested in too many things and I want to know how to do everything, or maybe I just don't want a real job :laugh:

You just blew my mind.

Thanks. I've been accused of that once every blue moon. ;)

duuuuddddeeee, you're in 'Merica now ... it's "engleesh" :laugh::laugh:

Fo' sho'. Ahm reppin' da streets. Gots ma homies and ma little baby's mama...

Does anyone actually do for a living what they would choose if money wasn't an issue? Though I like my job I sure don't. There is nothing wrong with this or my past job, but if I didn't need money I wouldn't be here.

I would prefer to work at a bookstore, I think i would love that, especially Green Apple in San Francisco. Technically I suppose I could but I'm too greedy and money hungry to live on a bookstore wage. It's sort of pathetic.

Also I would love to be able to do construction. I want to learn how to build a house from the ground up. I'd like to be skilled with my hands and to be able to create something like a home.

Another thing I would love to do is go to school for my masters in something like art or theater, not even for the degree of a career in theater but just for fun.

Does anyone get restless like that? Am I just a typical corporate douche that will forever do bs meaningless worth because I want nice things and money?

Snap.

I feel exactly like you Allina. I like my job, and I think I am quite good at it, but I feel like I limited my options, as there is nothing else I am qualified to do, and to do anything else would mean taking a major paycut.

Now that I have my lovelife sorted out, I think about this more and more.

The thought of doing this till I retire terrifies me, but the thought of starting again for no money is just as scary.

There are lots of other things I would rather do- present a travel show on TV, be a chef, write music for films, design jewellery, etc etc.

The great thing about my job I guess is that I can finance these kind of things (well cooking and night classes, maybe not a TV career) as hobbies.

However, I need to get off my butt and enrol, I did a craft class a while back, and loved it. And one day I plan to have a large vegetable garden.

I think I'm too interested in too many things and I want to know how to do everything, or maybe I just don't want a real job :laugh:

This can be a good thing. Expressing interest in many areas is great. Taking it to the next level an persuing an interest can be daunting.

I suggest with so many varied interest that you give each a month. Sounds like a fun project to undertake.

I should devote a month to photography. I have always had an interest.