questionable hiring parctice?

laRubiaBonita

I am not for sure, but I think there are some questionable things going on where I work.

One of the guys in my department is leaving, so his positions will need to be filled. I know that the job description is being worked on, but what I think is going on is this…..

the other chic I work along with, who is favored, she told me her husband- who works in a different department and location, but the same company, well he is going to apply for the job. She told me she had asked my boss, who would be his boss, and she also asked my bosses boss… and said that they both said they would not have a problem with the couple working together. I do not have a problem with them both working in the same office space either.

My suspicion is since she is favored, and it’s obvious, and her husband’s father is also a longtime employee for the company, I think that her husband will get hired for this position. I also think she is assisting my boss on updating the job description…. And that should be something I would do, seeing as how I am his secretary, not her.

But I am not for certain….. but I know how this company works, so it is not hard to see happening.

If it does happen that he gets hired for this position, and let say that the wife was involved with some parts of updating the description… if not more.

would this be something that is wrong? I would think there is to much insider knowledge for it to be a fair hiring practice.

nittygritty
I am not for sure, but I think there are some questionable things going on where I work.

One of the guys in my department is leaving, so his positions will need to be filled. I know that the job description is being worked on, but what I think is going on is this…..

the other chic I work along with, who is favored, she told me her husband- who works in a different department and location, but the same company, well he is going to apply for the job. She told me she had asked my boss, who would be his boss, and she also asked my bosses boss… and said that they both said they would not have a problem with the couple working together. I do not have a problem with them both working in the same office space either.

My suspicion is since she is favored, and it’s obvious, and her husband’s father is also a longtime employee for the company, I think that her husband will get hired for this position. I also think she is assisting my boss on updating the job description…. And that should be something I would do, seeing as how I am his secretary, not her.

But I am not for certain….. but I know how this company works, so it is not hard to see happening.

If it does happen that he gets hired for this position, and let say that the wife was involved with some parts of updating the description… if not more.

would this be something that is wrong? I would think there is to much insider knowledge for it to be a fair hiring practice.

It isn't a good hiring practice for the company. The company would likely lose both the husband and the wife if for whatever reason one of them were fired or left the company on bad terms.

Is either your boss? It sounds like the situation is creating a hostile work environment.

• Author
laRubiaBonita
I don't see anything unlawful occurring here given the facts you've presented.

but isn't it unethical?

we, as employees, are required to attend ethics class once a year, as well as sign ethical statements..... so it seems pretty hypocritical if my company, which is a municipality.

It definitely seems to be on the sly. But not much that can be done unless the company is unionized or under government jurisdiction which mandates that all available positions must first be advertised. Private companies will often hire from within or even create new positions for those they wish to employ. As a former co-owner of a private business, that’s what we did. And the majority of our staff were either related or married to each other.

Don’t know if you’re in the US, but you could always do an online check to see if this violates any federal or state employment laws. Of course, filing a grievance or complaint against the company could create more headache than it’s worth.

well LRB unless you're directly involved in the decision making process then there nothing you can do...just keep quiet.

That's how the world works lady.

Ever heard the phrase, "It's not what you know, it's who you know." ?

Exactamundo.

And if the place you work is real bad, the phrase is "Its not who you know, its who you blow."

Exactly..there's nothing unethical about this..this is how the job force works. People much rather hire someone they know or someone that's a friend of someone they know who comes with a good recommendation then any joe schmoe off the street. And as far as a the job description...they mean nothing bc 90% of jobs once you start they give you work that was never described to you during the interview.

People much rather hire someone they know or someone that's a friend of someone they know who comes with a good recommendation then any joe schmoe off the street.

exactly H55...its all about reducing risk.

And as far as a the job description...they mean nothing bc 90% of jobs once you start they give you work that was never described to you during the interview.

so true

love necessity

This is so true.

I got the job where I work now, because the executive director is related to my bf. I didn't even go through an interview. He called me one day and asked if I could fill a position. He knew I needed a job of course, but that's just it. It's all about who you know. I also started off at a fairly decent amount. Can't attend family affairs without the funds to do so, right? LOL

I would just stay out of it. Especially if you don't want to end up searching your local newspaper for another job anytime soon. If the situation does seem suspicious, leave it be, you don't want to get involved. "Don't burn a bridge before you cross" it is what my grandma always told. Unless the actions of these people are physically or emotionally harming you, stay out of the mix. That's all I got

so it seems pretty hypocritical if my company, which is a municipality.

Can you expand on this comment? Are you employed by a company in the public sector, or are you an employee of a government entity?

To me, it sounds like he's just using really efficient networking skills, honestly, if I had connections like that, I'd use them. As far as losing both if one leaves for any reason...that will happen if they are in different departments too.

nittygritty
To me, it sounds like he's just using really efficient networking skills, honestly, if I had connections like that, I'd use them. As far as losing both if one leaves for any reason...that will happen if they are in different departments too.

Some Government agencies do not allow nepotism. Checking the company policies or local laws or codes to see if a particular government agency does not allow the hiring of married or first, second, third degree relatives or people related by consanguinity which means a shared ancestry.

Many large companies do not allow nepotism for many reasons. For instance if a husband and wife or close relatives are placed in positions where one is in charge of disbursing company funds and the other has a job position that bills or is reimbursed by the company they could easily conspire to defraud the company.

As I mentioned before the company might have to replace two or more employees if for whatever reason one family member left the company on bad terms and the other family members needed to go too.

It is a poor hiring practice. It leaves a company potentially vulnerable and it can create a hostile work environment for the perceived favoritism by the other employees. It is not a smart business practice.