I would really appreciate any advice anyone could give me right now. I'm in a very miserable situation, and I honestly feel like nobody else can possibly understand what I'm going through. I feel like nobody can relate to everything I have going on. I'm truly starting to hate my life.

Now on to my problem. I have worked as a lifeguard at a local pool for the past 3 years. I think it's fun, and it makes me feel good about myself. I love it so much, I would do it without pay. My boss and manager has told me on several occasions that they would never have an employee as loyal as I am. I would always work when I was asked to, even on my days off. I was working there about 30 hours a week, on top of my primary job that I work 40 hours a week. I really enjoyed in there, and I never in a million years imagined myself not working their. The pool isn't opened year round, so there is usually a period of 4 months where I'm not working. They usually contact me to double check that I'm planning on returning, and this year I didn't get a phone call. I called them, and was told that they would contact me when they were ready for me to work. I haven't heard from them, and I'm scared to death that I'm not going to. I know a lot of people are probably thinking what's the big deal..but I SERIOUSLY loved working their more than anything on the face of this earth. There aren't enough words to explain the way I feel about it.

I have no idea what to do. I'm not sure why I'm not working there, and I want to find out about what's going on, before I go completely insane. I know there are other pools in the area, but I wouldn't want to work for anyone else. I love this place, and I'd do anything for my job.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do?

Maybe you are just letting goofy things get to your head -- I'm not calling you crazy, so please don't be offended.

You are never alone..there is always someone out there that has it worse than you do..and there is always someone out there going through similiar situations as you. Don't feel alone. I experienced something very similar to this..and when I just gave up and said I wasn't going to worry about it, what do you know -- I got a phone call and was re hired at my job!

What my point is..I think you should keep moving on with your life. Be happy and don't let someone else get you down. Maybe they will call you, maybe they won't -- either way it doesen't help to hate your life and spend every second of it dwelling on the fact that you aren't working their yet.

Don't lose hope...hope is all you got :-)

• 2 weeks later...
Je Ne Regrette Rien

Force their hand. Ring them and ask if there is or if there isnt a job available and if there's not, ask the reasons why. It could be that they dont have funds to employ you again. If so, ask if you could perhaps volunteer for them for a certain length of time.

If they also refuse this, I'm afraid it is time to move on. Take all of your experience and happy memories and put it into another job which satisfies you. They are out there.

Good luck

You said: "They usually contact me to double check that I'm planning on returning, and this year I didn't get a phone call. I called them, and was told that they would contact me when they were ready for me to work."

Who did you talk to; was it the personnel people or some other administrative staff? If it was, then I wouldn't see anything wrong with doing a little "networking" and trying to make a direct contact with your boss/manager, just to "touch base" and see how things are going. I'm assuming you are young (compared to me, anyway! :D ) and this is often how things are done in the world of business... Yes, you have to work all the 'official' stuff through the proper channels in personnel, but the real relationships are formed and information passed and impressions made one-on-one with the real people involved, and it's often the people who make that extra effort, and make a good impression doing it, who get the attention and who are remembered when the decision is made who to hire.

So, if you haven't yet had contact directly with your boss, I would consider trying to make contact. Make it friendly but professional, and convey the message you have here: although you know that <whoever> said they would call you, in previous years you would have heard by now. They are definitely your first choice, but you are hoping to make other plans if it isn't going to happen for some reason this year.

A lot of times, a boss in this situation, if he really wants you (which sounds likely here) can go and get the ball rolling, or at least he may have some information that may help you "Yeah, we're a month behind this year because of a late budget, but we definitely want you, and things should be happening by early next month..." Something like that.

I can't guarantee this is how your organization will run, but this is a VERY common way of doing employment stuff in companies (although not so much within governmental entities...) And this will be good exercise for employment endeavors in the future.