F****ed Again

napoleandynamite

Well, I got another job-lasted for about one month and two weeks-then they let me go. Apparently, I just wasn't cutting it there. They said they liked me and it was a tough decision, but that is what they decided to do.

This is the last admin type of job I will EVER do. I'm guessing that obviiously I'm not cut out for this type of work. Especially being this is the fourth time this happened this year. My resume is a disaster at this point.

Right now, I'm looking into entry-level social work jobs. I've always had an interest in working with people with disabilities and even wanted to go back to school for Special Ed, Sign Language, Social Work, etc. I think I'm supposed to just do something different and no matter what the pay is, I'm going to have to somehow deal with a smaller salary and maybe get a second job to make ends meat.

I know everyone here is thinking, "Oh God, this woman can't do anything right!" The truth is I tried to my best ability at alll my jobs. I either couldn't grasp something or I made persistant mistakes on tedious projects and no matter how many times I checked my work, I couldn't pick up the mistake in time before my work was submitted. Needless to say, at this last job, I wasn't even angry at them letting me go, eventhough this was a slap in the face entirely...I had no idea things weren't going well. I thought I was doing very well. I had a great attitude at work. I got along with everyone-there were no personality differences. I wasn't worried about losing my job this time around. But it happened-again for the fourth time.

The hardest thing was coming home and having to call my husband at work to tell him. This is unbelievable altogether. I doubt there is anyone else in my position-I mean someone who gets let go from a position consistantly for poor work performance.

I just felt like venting on this somehwat annonymous site. Thanks for listening to my bs!

Well, I got another job-lasted for about one month and two weeks-then they let me go. Apparently, I just wasn't cutting it there. They said they liked me and it was a tough decision, but that is what they decided to do.

This is the last admin type of job I will EVER do. I'm guessing that obviiously I'm not cut out for this type of work. Especially being this is the fourth time this happened this year. My resume is a disaster at this point.

Right now, I'm looking into entry-level social work jobs. I've always had an interest in working with people with disabilities and even wanted to go back to school for Special Ed, Sign Language, Social Work, etc. I think I'm supposed to just do something different and no matter what the pay is, I'm going to have to somehow deal with a smaller salary and maybe get a second job to make ends meat.

I know everyone here is thinking, "Oh God, this woman can't do anything right!" The truth is I tried to my best ability at alll my jobs. I either couldn't grasp something or I made persistant mistakes on tedious projects and no matter how many times I checked my work, I couldn't pick up the mistake in time before my work was submitted. Needless to say, at this last job, I wasn't even angry at them letting me go, eventhough this was a slap in the face entirely...I had no idea things weren't going well. I thought I was doing very well. I had a great attitude at work. I got along with everyone-there were no personality differences. I wasn't worried about losing my job this time around. But it happened-again for the fourth time.

The hardest thing was coming home and having to call my husband at work to tell him. This is unbelievable altogether. I doubt there is anyone else in my position-I mean someone who gets let go from a position consistantly for poor work performance.

I just felt like venting on this somehwat annonymous site. Thanks for listening to my bs!

You need to compose yourself. I know it's easier said than done, but go out and get a menial job to bring in some income and then just buy yourself some time to do some soul searching. I would NOT seek out another administrative job again, as it is clearly not the kind of environment that matches your personality and skill set. And to be honest, I think you've known this for a long time, but there's something inside of you that makes you think that this is what you should be doing, so you keep applying for these jobs.

I have noticed sometimes that, in a lot of people, there is often a disconnect between what people feel that they should be doing, and what they really ought to be doing based on what their true talents and interests are. One of the biggest problems I see now, both in myself and others, is that people often don't go far enough in finding out what kind of interests they have outside of work. I think people compartmentalize their work life and their fun life, which is a mistake in my view. Marry your interests with your career, and work will never be the same again.

You need to address the question of what kind of person you are before you can decide what kind of work you want. Administrators are special types of people. They are grounded and well-organized, they are procedure-oriented people, and they like to be in control of things. They aren't necessarily imaginative like strategic planners, but can be, and they are detail-oriented. They also work well under pressure and don't mind deadlines. Don't take offense, but I get the impression that this isn't 100 percent you - and you know something, there's no shame in admitting that. I am not that way, either, which is probably why I would never be a good office manager or something of the like.

Maybe take a retail job somewhere and do some volunteering or even part-time counseling on the side on the weekends. I think you might find what you're looking for that way. Find out what you're good at and take it from there. But continuing down this road is not going to get you anywhere.

Good luck, and don't beat yourself up.

Don't feel bad, Napoleon. I'm in the same boat you are, and to be honest, AJ is right....the problem comes from not knowing yourself. At least for me it has. I'm not cut out to work in administrative jobs, but those are the ones I have work experience in so I end up doing that kind of work even though it absolutely bores me to tears and I make mistakes all the time.

Perhaps we should start a support group. :laugh: No really, I understand exactly where you're coming from.

I started a parallel career doing freelance writing for peanuts. It doesn't pay the bills, so I'm stuck with an admin job for now.

• Author
napoleandynamite

Amerikajin:

I'm in no way offended by what you stated above. After I got let go from this position, I realized someone is trying to tell me I'm supposed to be doing something else. It is now crystal clear participating in an administrative role in the office is NOT for me-at least for a while.

I am looking into becoming a counselor/instructer with developmentally disabled people. It's a different path, fits my interests better, and hey, it may be a low paying job, but it's different from what I've been doing. This may be the best thing for me at this point and time.

I'm doing my best not to "beat myself up". Or maybe it hasn't quite hit me just yet. Although it's clear this type of job is not for me, don't forget, it's an awful lot to consume.

I'm hoping something works out for me eventually. Close friends and family are just as shocked as I am. I guess I understand what is going on here, but I'm still astonished that a human being can loose this many jobs in such a short period of time. It's absurd. But, either way, I obviously have to accept what it is and do something different.

Blind Otter:

I know you are in the same boat as I am. I've seen your prior posts regarding careers/employement/etc. You sound like you have the same issues I do. Perhaps you should pursue a career in the psych field. I know you mentioned you still have to stick with the admin work, but maybe you shouldn't. Take a look at me. You don't want to wind up like me here. I know the pay may not be too spectacular, but you could probably manage.

• Author
napoleandynamite

Amerikajin

BTW....I couldn't do a retail job. When I was a kid (back in the high school and college days) I was in retail. Although I managed to keep a job going for a while, I showed a lot of differences when my drawer was counted out. I never was fired, but I was always on a warning. I'm not very good with numbers and counting. And while I'm in the "firing mode", I think that could happen there too. This is why I'm looking to try counseling. Becuase it is something I have always been interested in and I used to want to pursue in in college, but thought an office job was the way to go. The truth is, I'm just not good at clerical or administrative work of any sort. I'm not good dealing with cash, data entry, maintaining accuarate files, keeping on time of calendars/schedules, or any of that stuff. I tried VERY hard to be good at these things, but hey, now the jokes on me and I'm forced to do something ENTIRELY different for a job, because this just isn't working.

Please don't think I'm being defensive in regards to your opinion either. Personally, I agree with you 100 percent. I just mean to point out that with retail, I've had a great deal of trouble with in the past, and I don't want to jump into another field that will put me in the same position as now.

Please say a prayer that something works out for me. Thanks guys! :)

It's often hard to find a job with a good fit and many people have been fired from jobs but 4 in one year should be a red flag to you. I'm not saying that you're doing something wrong but getting fired so much should cause you to want to evaluate yourself and what mistakes you are making. I think it's important to learn from your mistakes/problems so that when you do find a job that you really want to keep you are able to do so.

Amerikajin

BTW....I couldn't do a retail job. When I was a kid (back in the high school and college days) I was in retail. Although I managed to keep a job going for a while, I showed a lot of differences when my drawer was counted out. I never was fired, but I was always on a warning. I'm not very good with numbers and counting. And while I'm in the "firing mode", I think that could happen there too. This is why I'm looking to try counseling. Becuase it is something I have always been interested in and I used to want to pursue in in college, but thought an office job was the way to go. The truth is, I'm just not good at clerical or administrative work of any sort. I'm not good dealing with cash, data entry, maintaining accuarate files, keeping on time of calendars/schedules, or any of that stuff. I tried VERY hard to be good at these things, but hey, now the jokes on me and I'm forced to do something ENTIRELY different for a job, because this just isn't working.

Please don't think I'm being defensive in regards to your opinion either. Personally, I agree with you 100 percent. I just mean to point out that with retail, I've had a great deal of trouble with in the past, and I don't want to jump into another field that will put me in the same position as now.

Please say a prayer that something works out for me. Thanks guys! :)

You could be a sales clerk and just ask that you not have the responsibility of counting the drawer. Some stores need you to count the cash, but others don't. I guess they would need someone to handle change and transactions, though...could you handle that?

• Author
napoleandynamite

Hi Ameri:

In the area I live in, everyone has responsibility of the register. Stores can get extremely busy and there is often not enough staff to cover the lines, so even people who work on the floor have to help out.

Also, often (though not always) a Sales Clerk works on commission and the base pay is low. These jobs are very cut-throat, maybe more than an office job. That's probably why I see a different Sales Clerk in some of the stores I go to every month! LOL!:laugh: At least where I live, this is how things are.

If I were to do this, I would do it on the side of a regular full-time job. My hubby's job only does single benefits and for him to add me on to his policy is WAY too expensive. Right now, I'm focusing on entry-level jobs in the Social Service aspect of Healthcare-this is probably better suited towards my personal strengths and talents and it's worth at least a shot to see how it goes at this point. I received a call while I was out earlier for an Instructor/Counselor position working with disabled individuals. Also, I'm planning on applying to other places for similiar positions. After I get a full-time job, I will consider getting a second job (maybe working at a libarary part-time or something), considering this position is low-paying, but perhaps a foot in the right direction for me.

We'll see how things go. In the meantime, I am taking your advice this time. NO MORE ADMIN ROLES FOR ME!:laugh:

Good for you ND - looks like you have a really great attitude about this. :) Maybe one day I can grow some balls and do the career switcharoo.

• Author
napoleandynamite

Thank, BO.

I'm doing my best to have good attitude about all of this, though it's tough at times to maintain it.