Strange Body Language

I was wondering. Does anyone know what this means when your standing next to someone and they move up just a tad to be ahead of you?

For example, two people side by side and the other person will lightly move foward. And if the other person moves up, the other people that moved will move again? One is always ahead of the other and never equal.

Is that like some dominance or I'm superior thing?

probably....but I've never seen this in practice. I've known people that always liked to walk a bit ahead of their partner but thats it.

What it means will vary from person to person and the situation that the behavior is observed in.

It could be dominance or superiority OR it could just as easily be a protective gesture or an indication of that person's insecurity, etc.

• Author
What it means will vary from person to person and the situation that the behavior is observed in.

It could be dominance or superiority OR it could just as easily be a protective gesture or an indication of that person's insecurity, etc.

Thanks for replying. Oh yeah I agree it would depend on the situation.

I personally think that it's dominance insecurity thing. That's what it seemed like when it happend. I guess I put some people on the edge. :laugh:

What it means will vary from person to person and the situation that the behavior is observed in..

mmm...not really. the meaning of certain body language is pretty static from person to person and situation to situation.

I'm having trouble picturing this but maybe one person had really bad breath, or the other person was trying to observe something that the other was blocking. Or, one person was really wanting to walk away.

• Author

Nope nothing like that.

Just picture two people side by side looking around. One moves foward and then the other one moves further then the first person that moved.

mmm...not really. the meaning of certain body language is pretty static from person to person and situation to situation.

So what you are saying is that humans share some similar body language in specific situations? :)

What I am saying is that you can't read too much into someones body language without first knowing a little about them and the situation the body language is observed in.

Possible reasons that when your standing next to someone they move up just a tad to be ahead of you?

1. You have bad breath.
  2. They have bad breath.
  3. They don't want to be seen with you.
  4. They feel superior to you.
  5. They are playing mind games with you.
  6. They don't really move forward, you unconsciously move backwards.
  7. They don't really move forward, but turn only slightly away thus adjusting where "forward" is.
  8. They think they have a great ass and want you to notice.
  9. They think they have a great profile and want you to notice.
  10. They have a small birthmark under their hair on the front side of their forehead that they are self conscious about and have developed a habit of making it harder for people to see that mark by moving forward a bit.
  11. When they were younger their older siblings had a habit of tickling them aggressively and now they are always on guard subconsciously and so move forward and away a little bit.
  12. Etc.

• Author
So what you are saying is that humans share some similar body language in specific situations? :)

What I am saying is that you can't read too much into someones body language without first knowing a little about them and the situation the body language is observed in.

Possible reasons that when your standing next to someone they move up just a tad to be ahead of you?

1. You have bad breath.
  2. They have bad breath.
  3. They don't want to be seen with you.
  4. They feel superior to you.
  5. They are playing mind games with you.
  6. They don't really move forward, you unconsciously move backwards.
  7. They don't really move forward, but turn only slightly away thus adjusting where "forward" is.
  8. They think they have a great ass and want you to notice.
  9. They think they have a great profile and want you to notice.
  10. They have a small birthmark under their hair on the front side of their forehead that they are self conscious about and have developed a habit of making it harder for people to see that mark by moving forward a bit.
  11. When they were younger their older siblings had a habit of tickling them aggressively and now they are always on guard subconsciously and so move forward and away a little bit.
  12. Etc.

:laugh: I sure hope not.