Teacher's Pet

This week, they laid off 11 people at my job.

My boss, the training manager, another sales manager, and 8 reps from MY department got canned.

They merged the 2 "sales teams" in my department into 1, and the other team's manager is now my boss.

It really hurt.

My boss is a GREAT guy, a wealth of knowledge, both business-related and otherwise, and just an overall fun guy to know. The reps that got laid off were basically friends of mine.

We were all pretty upset when the news came down, because we really built our team into a "family", and the company just came in and wiped us out.

I got to keep my job because apparently, I make money for the company, but so did some of the others who got laid off! Meanwhile, we have another sales division that has a MUCH higher overhead, and brings in LOWER profits, and all they do is pump MORE money into THAT failure.

I really work for a backwards-assed company.

Monster.com, here I come.

-tp

take this job and shove it (up your ass!)

I got to keep my job because apparently' date=' I make money for the company,[/quote']

I know, it's crazy logic. You need to get into technology - perhaps biotechnology. The more red ink those companies bleed, the more hyped-up their stock becomes. Maybe it's time to make your fortune on rumours.

Well, at least you still have options that the other 11 don't anymore. It was two layoffs in a row that propelled me back into government service and while you won't get rich that way, nor do you have to watch CEOs getting millions on top of more millions in bonuses while the people who do the real work are laid off, lose benefrits or have stagnant wages.

Our entire economy is turning upside-down and there's little or no loyalty left in the workplace, either up or down the ladder to success.

We were all pretty upset when the news came down' date=' because we really built our team into a "family", and the company just came in and wiped us out.[/quote']

Is this just another reason a lot of people try to keep their personal and professional "lives" separate? Sad, isn't it.

and there's little or no loyalty left in the workplace,

I wonder if the only real loyalty is to the almighty greenback?

I hope it gets better soon, tp. Meanwhile, have some subsidised alcohol.

• Author
Teacher's Pet

I've always thought about getting a government job, but what the hell can I do? :)

I mean, I'd love to hunt terrorists or something like that. :) I have no military training, but it would be fun to off some bad guys. :)

I'm a great Halo player, I'm sure that counts for something. :)

Seriously, being a sales rep is a good thing though. It's a skill that EVERY company needs. I just need to find a stronger company that offers more longterm potential.

I can pretty much sell anything (I've done everything from door-to-door sales to wholesale computer equipment), I just need the right opportunity. :)

I have good sales techniques, and I know when to go in for the kill with a potential client. :) I just seem to always settle for less than the best when it comes to jobs.

Apparently, relationships too. :)

-tp

buy this tv, or we'll shoot this puppy

Well, my company just went bust and didnt tell us untill the final day. we should have known when a month ago, they laid off about 20 guys. luckily, I've had a couple of good interviews and I got offered a job in a better position..!

why would you need a "sales team" at a bar? don't people come in looking for a drink or two? do you mean the girls in skimpy outfits selling jello shots and shooters?

travellingman

Our entire economy is turning upside-down and there's little or no loyalty left in the workplace, either up or down the ladder to success.

But there's greater opportunity than ever, because the crumbling of the 1950s corporation has opened up the doors for creative entrepreneur.

And it doesn't matter who you are - I grew up in a working class town and went to a poorly regarded state school, and I've done OK.

And it doesn't matter who you are - I grew up in a working class town and went to a poorly regarded state school, and I've done OK.

maybe...but the chances of you becoming a Senator or CEO are highly unlikely cause you don't have the connections and pedigree.

• Author
Teacher's Pet
why would you need a "sales team" at a bar? don't people come in looking for a drink or two? do you mean the girls in skimpy outfits selling jello shots and shooters?

LOL The bartending is just my p/t weekend job..

I'm an account rep for a large marketing company. :)

-tp

marketing whiz

LOL The bartending is just my p/t weekend job..

I'm an account rep for a large marketing company. :)

oh ok, got it :)

maybe...but the chances of you becoming a Senator or CEO are highly unlikely cause you don't have the connections and pedigree.

Even if the connections and pedigree exists, one might not have the charisma, the merit, the money, or even the right photogenic.

Layoffs are a part of life now. Problem is many companies milk till they finish. I dislike C' level personnel doing the wrong thing or being "pigs". Look at chainsaw Al, Al Dunlap, slashed and cut costs to a point the company isn't viable. Sometimes there is a right sizing on an uptick; there are reasons for that.

Even if the connections and pedigree exists, one might not have the charisma, the merit, the money, or even the right photogenic..

exactly! but the first two are definitely prerequisites.

• 1 month later...
  • Author
Teacher's Pet

As of 1:30PM today, I am officially among the "casualties" of my employer.

Me.

Unemployed.

*dances around*

You have no idea how HAPPY I am to be out of that MISERABLE company! :) :)

Financially, I'll be ok for a little while, so I'm going to take some time and focus on ME, and then figure out my next move...

But for now..... it's reruns, poker games, Warcraft, and LoveShack! :)

-tp

take this job and SHOVE IT!

It still sucks tp. We just layed off 8 people. But since I am the only one who can do my job and they can't eliminate my job.

It still sucks tp.

Yeah.. Ditto TP

Times are tough in some industries.. like hotgurl my company has been slow that last couple of months and we are tightening our belts and doing cost cutting where we can..

Sorry :(