Contracting - to perm ?

I am contracting at the moment. I was "promised" when i took on the role that I would be made perm in the new year. I have been there 3 weeks. I want to know what is happening with the perm role.

AS far as they know they now have the approvals, or should get them very soon ( new year, new budget). Is it reasonable for me to ask my boss about being made perm. or should i wait longer?

I moved from a permanent role to this ( better company) and they know this. I have bills to pay and i have found a place to live, but all this is no good until i get made permanent ( for the mortgage).

How much of this can i mention to my boss? Should i mention the mortgage? Should i hint or ask straight out about the perm role?

Do not mention your personal life - mortgage, bills - to your employer.

Go to your boss and say something like this: With the start of the new year, I'd like to open discussions regarding hiring me for this role. During the 3 weeks I've been here, I have completed X project (or organized X, or begun X - any accomplishment or work subject can fill in here), I have established relationships with X, Y, and Z (the key people you work with), and I have a good feel for the role and the company.

I believe this position will fit well with my long term career goals, and that I would be an asset to your company. Will you be ready to put the paperwork through to hire me full time within the next two weeks?