Did I screw up on the interview?

I cant recall how many times I've been honest on an interview. But today i realized i may be shooting myself in the foot by doing so.

Out of all my interviews so far a few interviewers have hit me with this question: "Where do you see yourself in the future?"

Usually their company is more of a corporate environment. However my answer is slightly off/different from that kind of environment. But my work experience covers several environments, including theirs.

If i was the interviewer i wouldnt consider hiring someone that wouldnt be devoted or interested in staying with the company long-term. But even if I am honest it doesnt mean i wont consider staying with them long term if the pay's good and i like the job.

In situations like these, is dishonesty the best policy? Lie to them by telling them what they want to hear?

napoleandynamite

yes, of course you have to lie! These are called white lies in the business world. Seldom are employees devoted to their companies because they know their employers can be quite unfaithful in many ways. It sort of goes both ways.

On your interviews, tell them, you want to be with the company for a long time, yada, yada, yada. They wont hire you if you tell them you don't plan on working there very long.

Remember, they tell you what you want to hear but don't necessarily mean it.

• Author

Yeah people always do that, the business world is so pretentious. The way i see it, a cover letter is just a page of BS.

I suppose i should have told a white lie, but what i told them were long-term goals. wont make the same mistake twice.

Well guess ill have to wait till tomorrow and see what happens.

RecordProducer

You say what they want to hear in order to employ you, lie or not... unless if they can catch you in it or if it's inhumane by nature (e.g if you're applying for a doctor's position and you lie about your experience). But questions such as:

"Are you a good team worker?

"Yes."

"Are you focused and have multi-task abilities?"

"Yes."

"Do you believe in God?"

"Yes"

"Oh... but our employer is an atheist."

"I was joking, I don't believe in that BS."

:laugh:

OMG LIE LIE LIE. Interviews are last places to be honest. I even completly lie on the personality tests - I know they say they can see if you are lying but that's complete BS. With the last job offer, I lied on every single personality question - I just thought what type of person they want and answered accordingly. I got the offer too :cool:

Think of interviews as small acting roles. Research the company well and turn into the exact person they need. You are screwed otherwise.

• Author

thanks for all the responses !

i probably didnt get the job since i havent heard from my staffing agency since the last time we spoke.

Although my agency kind of hinted it was because that company didnt want work to interfere with school....my ass, i know they were afraid my night student status would interfere with work; such as walking in late on mornings or being unproductive at work.

It kind of blows that both sides have to go through the middle-man, dont know exactly what happened, nor do i have the chance to explain/prove myself. although i have the company's direct # i could always call...but doubt it would achieve anything

I would have at least liked it if they gave me a trial period to prove myself...cant expect much from employers these days. Oh well, maybe it was for the better since their closing hours conflict with my night class hours (which i did not tell them).

RecordProducer
I would have at least liked it if they gave me a trial period to prove myself...cant expect much from employers these days.
Call them and tell them that! Your approach assumes that THEY hold the power in their hands. But YOU have it, too. You can change things. They are just people, for god's sake.