hi iv'e been doing temp work an agency for 2 months, i enjoyed my job weekly 1-1 with my team leader and she was impressed with hard work. until this afternoon when the head of department manager and my team leader called me into a meeting, the meeting was about me putting customers on hold, i explained my reason, which was cause "i priotise my work before taking the next call so i don;t get confused and credit/order the wrong customer". i take 60-70 calls a day and yes i do sometimes put the customer on hold so i can clear my screens so i can concerntrate on the nxt customer.

they said that it was misconduct and dismasal on the spot NO warning. they can't do that surely?. the thing that frustrates me is why didnt my team leader bring that up in a 1-1 :mad: :mad: :mad:

Where are you based Dave? UK or US, as that will change things?

How long were they on hold for?

If you are UK, I'd say you had grounds for unfair dismissal. Instant dismissal is usually saved for major things such as fraud, stealing from the company etc.

Something like that - even if viewed as misconduct - should have been given a warning about. Usually the practice is two verbal and one written warning before dismissal.

If your team leader was aware that you were putting customers on hold she should have talked to you about this. Were you at anytime warned this was not proper conduct with this particular company?

i take 60-70 calls a day and yes i do sometimes put the customer on hold so i can clear my screens so i can concerntrate on the nxt customer.

they said that it was misconduct and dismasal on the spot NO warning. they can't do that surely?

It certainly sounds ridiculous. Since you're on as a temp, it seems like just an excuse to make a cutback.

Hard work is often not rewarded. There are no shortage of people that surf LS on work time... that's much more of a crime than anything you have done. (Not that I think you have done ANYTHING the least bit questionable!)

Life isn't fair, and nobody ever said that it was.

I know you liked your job, but you still have your integrity. That's a lot.

Where are you based Dave? UK or US, as that will change things?

How long were they on hold for?

If you are UK, I'd say you had grounds for unfair dismissal. Instant dismissal is usually saved for major things such as fraud, stealing from the company etc.

Something like that - even if viewed as misconduct - should have been given a warning about. Usually the practice is two verbal and one written warning before dismissal.

Um, not if it's temporary work, or even in the probation period of a permanent position...

If your team leader was aware that you were putting customers on hold she should have talked to you about this. Were you at anytime warned this was not proper conduct with this particular company?

And that's the key.

Um, not if it's temporary work, or even in the probation period of a permanent position....

Good point Ripples! One I failed to notice!! :o:)

I guess he really has very little comeback as a temp. I still say it was unfair though!

Yeah, absolutely, LK. Temping is hard enough as it is, without this sort of thing.

Actually, on that point, normally the company would contact the temping agency about any issues with the temp and the agency would remove the temp, themselves. At least, in my experience.

• Author

thank you for support guys, well i spoke to the agency and they are investigating

cause what the company said to them was "that they had a report", when the agency asked the company what they were going to do, they didn't answer, i recon it was an excuse as it's coming nearer xmas as the business quiten down.

i also asked the agency to ask my team leader why she didn't mention this before as i have been there for 2 months it's not professional at all and im noticing that more campanies are getting like this and the fact is England has the biggest unemployment rate, making it harder to stay in a job. :mad: :mad:

Good luck Dave.

Um, when you say England has the biggest unemployment rate, what exactly do you mean? Biggest in the world, Europe, what are we talking here?

• Author

sorry i meant just out of the whole of the uk, people get sacked for stupid things and there is a rational reason for it companies nowadays make it harder to even get a job. and you get tought different ways to do things and you try and use ur own common sense which makes you make more mistakes.

lol. ah well always light at the end of a tunnel.

It's dark now, isn't it? Must be the headlights of an oncoming train.