How to deal of uncertainety of possibly losing a job?

My situation is that I pretty much have nothing but work going for me in my life. Now, due to recent management change it's possible that project I have been working on will fall apart - and I will be let go. I would say there is about 50/50 of this happening. I'm freaking out, it's not that easy to find work I like, and yet I will have to wait till after new years to find out. I CANT STAND waiting. I would rather know now. I guess my question is how do you deal with something that's outside your control without driving yourself crazy with worry?

I guess my question is how do you deal with something that's outside your control without driving yourself crazy with worry?

You can assume the worst, and plan your contingency. Or bury your head in the sand, and pretend it's not happening. Because worry is interest paid - on trouble before it becomes due!!

Maybe you should go backpacking. Somewhere. Just a thought.

I like the "denial" approach. Don't worry, be happy. Everything will be just great. Happy New Year!

• Author

Oh and look I messed up the title and can't fix it now.

Thanks MagicHands. I'm thinking of taking a trip somewhere. I can't bear to look for another job just yet.

Hope that you are well.

AriaIncognito

I had to live that way for a while with my old employer. The best I can tell you is, if you think it's coming for sure, well, start getting your ducks in a row. Get your resume together. Check on your finances, see what you have, how long you could live on unemployment, etc.

I ended up losing my job in October of 2003, but I was able to find a job within a few months, even though I was convinced nobody would ever hire me because my degree wasn't in my career field. I've been at the new employer ever since.

Sometimes, honestly, losing a job can be a blessing. It was for me. I am very grateful for losing mine those years ago. Not that it's fun to deal with, but you just never know what the one door closing will do for you.

Good luck to you, and if you have any specific questions about what i experienced, feel free to msg.

For me, the stress of knowing that layoffs were coming was too much for me to handle. Of course, the fact that my boss hated me made it worse. As a single mom with two kids, I have to have a job. I got my resume in order and actually paid someone to help me with it (tax deductible in the states) and started looking for jobs before the axe fell. I ended up getting a job that pays me double what I was making with no stress. I'm so much more at ease now. It certainly won't hurt to start looking at what is out there.

Would you get a severage package? (spelled wrong..oops)

AriaIncognito

Being a single mom would have definitely put a lot more stress on my situation, but luckily I was only supporting myself. Though it was scary to think that my only income was me, and I was losing that income, i found that unemployment and my savings would have been adequate for a certain period of time before I really had to get nervous. I think a lot of handling this kind of situation, is what you can do mentally and financially, to prepare for it. I for example, refinanced my mortage a few months before the layoff, to get a better interest rate. Luckily it was at a time where interest rates were low. Else it could be something as simple as eliminating things that are comfort things until you know for sure, in order to save what you'd spend on those items. probably sounds miniscule, but it definitely can help ease the blow.

already been thru that 3 times in my life - survived each time. its not the end of the world - if u did it before u can do it again. don't let something like that distract you from doing what is important first - everything else will work out after that.