The disadvantages of being at the bottom of the food chain...

lovestruck234

Since I'm not really in the TOP position here at work...I often get off loaded all the sh*tty jobs.

Yesterday, example, I was heading down the hallway, to my office when a girl I work with jumps out at me with "Tess! (the receptionist) called in sick today, I was meant to cover her for the day but I am just TOO DAMN BUSY. *Giggles*, so you wouldn't mind sitting at the desk for the day would you? I mean, you're not THAT busy, right?"

Yeah, no...you're right. I am not that busy. I have files and files of invoicing and document control to get through, but no...I'm not that busy. I will give up a day of my time for YOU, who is meant to be doing the job anyway, who has not really got any authority over me (she works in the same department as me), but sure. I'll do that.

And she adds..."Oh and by the way, I've got to meet up with my fiance for lunch today so I ca't relieve you on you're lunch break either. You'll just have to...have lunch at you're desk." Then she gives me some perky smile and trots off to her lovely desk, puts her bag down then ushers me out to the front desk where I am stuck for the rest of the day. It is the end of the year and ALL OF US are busy wrapping up loose ends, not just her!!

Grrrr. She alays does this to me. Really discreetly too. Without anyone noticing. HER boss will give her a job, she'll unbutton her top button with a "SURE THING!" then scurry over to me and get me to do the sh*t jobs she's been aligned for.

Anyway, probably should have put this in the rant section. Being at the bottom sucks. One day I'm going to manage something, and I'm going to hire her to title in "Doing everyone's else's dirty work"....

You just have to learn to use a word that every 14 year old girl needs to

know....NO

Always learn to come up with your own lame excuse too and defend it vociferously:)

• Author
lovestruck234
You just have to learn to use a word that every 14 year old girl needs to

know....NO

Always learn to come up with your own lame excuse too and defend it vociferously:)

:confused: 14 yr old?....I'm 17. Lol

Sometimes I try but she'll be like "Awww, now. What are work mates for? to give each other a hand. Come on, I need you to help me out..."

What am I meant to say to that? "No b*tch, do it yourself!!"

Lol. Geeez, I give in waaaaay too easily.

Lovestruck, the thing about the 14 year girl is just a joke from way back. Not meant personally. What it means is that if a 14 year old girl does not learn to say no (to boys or young men, whatever) she will spend most of her time parallel to the ground as they say.

It`s just a joke to emphasize the importance of anyone learning how to say no and stick to it.

In your case, you just have to learn to be assertive. It is very difficult for some people. But it is like I said. Say no, have a lame excuse ready (always) and stick to it.

Geeez, I give in waaaaay too easily.

Yep you do! ;)

I would have simply said: 'Sorry, it's end of year and I have a large work load right now. I can not spare the time to help you with the task you were given'.

If you don't learn to say no Tess, you're going to end up being walked all over for the rest of your life. Easy target...! :(