Temp to Perm Jobs-A Realistic Approach?

napoleandynamite

After serious consideration in the career area, I have been considering taking a "temp to perm" job/s as an option. The reason I considered this is because I figure I can try different types of jobs with different companies and see where I fit and where I don't. Although it may take a while, this could be worth it in the end if I find a permanant position that I know works, versus taking permanant jobs that seem to not work out for me.

Is this a good idea? Friends of mine suggested this is a bad idea and I will just wind up bouncing from one job to another.

Please share your opinions. Feel free to read my prior posts if necessary.

Thanks for your help!

I think I've advised you to do that in the past..not sure. Maybe it was someone else. Remember me? I used to manage a temp service and was a temp myself in the past.

I highly recommend you go this route. And your friends aren't right. Yes, you go from job to job until the fit is right but you STILL work for the temp service and the temp service only. See what I'm saying? Your resume will read AMCO Temp Service..not Company A then Company B, etc. etc. You will have ONE employer though. Is that their concern?

I don't see it as "bouncing fom job to job." It's the BEST way to see where you would fit in best without REALLY ruining your work history and being hired and fired or quitting.

Try it. You have nothing really to lose and lots to gain.

• Author
napoleandynamite

Yes, I remember you. Certain you advised temping or "intiated" it somehow.

I agree with you 100% to try temp to perm positions. The "resume" history is what concerns me as well. I posted it on LS, feel free to view it yourself if you like. As of now, it's "OK", but I thinking temping may work for two big reasons:

1. To see what environment I fit into as far as my skills and personality are concerned.

2. At this point, I admit, if I get hired tomorrow for a perm position, I would walk into that office with an attitude of "OMG, what if this doesn't work out and they let me go two months from now."

Touche: Have you ever seen anyone in the position I am in during your career as a Temp Manager? If I try a temp to perm position and it works-great! I'm happy. If it doesn't, would the agency "drop" me?

Well first of all you AND the COMPANY that you're doing the assignment for will know well before they ask you to come on board whether you're right for the job. Usually you work temp for 60 to 90 days. Do you think you'd know by then? The company surely will. So don't worry about that. Once you're hired, you're passed their test and they've passed yours if you agree to take the job. Do you see what I'm saying? At that point all your anxiety should be gone.

And if it should happen that you get hired on and then you're dropped, depending on the reasons, yes you can still be hired back on at the temp service. I've seen that happen lots of times. It just depends on the reasons.

Your situtation is not as unusual as you think. I myself have been there. Just keep putting yourself out there. The confidence will come and you will figure out what's right for you. Remember, just because a company asks to hire you on does not mean you HAVE to accept. You may decline and ask for a new assignment.

I'd love to hear how this all goes for you so keep posting, ok?

i think its a superb idea....as long as you're good at what you do and can make a good impression. good help is always hard to find.

• Author
napoleandynamite

... I will keep posting! Probably driving everybody nuts as well when they see a new post! LOL!

I sent my resume to a temp agency today actually. The jobs they advertise are in my field of communications. As I stated, I do want to return to school for my Master's, but in the meantime, I need to work to pay rent, bills, etc. Also, many have suggested to me to go into retail type of jobs (Walbaums, Macy's, Burger King, etc) but I don't fee like that is the best solution to my problem-especially since it pay minimum wage and that salary will NOT pay my bills. I am going to send out more to other temp agencies as well. Guess something will "stick" eventually. Wouldn't statistics prove that? lol!

I will keep you posted, Touche. BTW...do you come on LS often? I thought I'd never hear from you again :( Your advice is good. I truly appreciate your help! Thanks!

Thank you Napolean. I'm happy to help. Yes, I'm on here pretty often...way more than I should be probably!:laugh: So I'll watch for you.

I'm sorry I haven't looked at your resume but I'll see if I can find it. Also, YES send your resume out to as many temp agencies as you can and follow up with a call. The people who used to "bug" me the most by calling were the ones that I remembered and tried to find work for. But more than likely you will have to go in and register with them first. Call them up first to find out. It just depends. Some will tell you to come in with your resume and others will tell you to go ahead and send it.

Yes, keep at it. Something WILL pan out for you eventually. You just have to be aggressive about it and not give up. I'll make it a point to look for your posts if you have any questions or just want to vent or whatever, ok?

Good luck! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

• Author
napoleandynamite

Thanks!

My resume is in the "Business and Professional" area of LS. It was posted fairly recently, so you will see it when you view the forums.

I will keep sending resumes to agencies and do my best to have a better attitude.

Again, thanks! :)

I dont know what kind of field you're in, but whatever the case jumping from job to job with the help of a temp agency is great for building your resume and work-experience.

My field is commonly known for freelancing, so ideally it works well for me and the agency. The better I do at the job, the better the temp agency looks, and the better the temp agency will help find me jobs. I'm still young so it works well to taste the different aspects of my field until i find something more solid (perm) as i get older.

The drawbacks of temping is it's not common for the agency to provide health benefits package plans (401k). And that's where a permanent job comes into play. In addition a temp agency is like any other employer, when they have jobs for you...great, if not you're like a sitting duck. I would advise you to sign up with multiple temp agencies (2 or 3, which is what I do) to increase your opportunities. however if your current agency is providing you with more than enough work I would advise sticking with them as it helps establish your reputation with them.

good luck