Question about job offers

I got hired for a new job last week. It is just a part time position I took with the intention that I'd do it until I could find something a little more suitable. They had me come in yesterday to do some orientation paperwork, and I start Monday morning. Yesterday evening, I got a job offer from another employer. This position is in the career field that I went to school for - it doesn't pay much more than the part-time job, but it's full-time hours with room for advancement within the company. They also want me to start Monday morning. I formally accepted this job, and plan to call the other

employer this morning to let him know (I know it's Saturday, but I'm pretty sure he's there, and I want him to know ASAP). I want to know if it's appropriate (and how to word it if it is) to ask if it's possible that I could use this as sort of a fallback job if for some reason the new job didn't work out.

The part-time job is just retail, but it's the kind of work I'm used to doing. It actually only pays slightly less than the full-time job, and has opportunities to grow. I started having regrets about going into legal assisting midway through school, but I stuck with it because I felt it was too late. It's not that I hate it, but I'm unsure if it's the right environment for me. Even though this is just an entry-level position, it sounds pretty intense, and I have a quiet, reserved personality. The legal assistant actually isn't a people-centric position, but I'm starting out as a receptionist who will gradually take on more substantive work. I got the degree, I figure I need to give it a shot. I'm not sure how to decline the part-time job and ask if they'd still be interested if for some reason the other job wouldn't work out. I may be able to do it on weekends since the legal job is 8-5, M-F, but that would be an exhausting week. What do you think?

Of course you go for the job that is better suited for you. Let the one that you are turning down know ASAP. However, I would phrase it in such a way to leave the door open.

"Hey, as you know I was really excited about working with you, but at the last minute an offer came in that was more directly related to my field/interests, and I feel that in order to better myself, I will need to take that position. But, once I am settled in there, if you are willing, I would like to talk to you about possibly working part time for you."

This tells him you are still interested. He can say no screw you, but he obvioulsy knows you are looking for a job you interviewed after all, and it is naive of him to think that he is the only one.

• Author

Well, the employer sounded really peeved, so I didn't even get to bring it up. I told him that I received a job offer yesterday evening, and that I want to take it because it's full-time, in a law office. He goes, "ok," sounding really irritated. I told him I appreciated his help, and he goes "alright," and hangs up on me. I guess that's that!

He goes, "ok," sounding really irritated. I told him I appreciated his help, and he goes "alright," and hangs up on me. I guess that's that!

well yeah, employers spend a lot of time and money interviewing and finding a suitable match. its just like dating when you finally find someone you really like and they blow you off...

• Author
well yeah, employers spend a lot of time and money interviewing and finding a suitable match. its just like dating when you finally find someone you really like and they blow you off...

Well, this is a part-time retail job - it's not like it's a corporate exec position. There were people coming in looking for work during my orientation process, so I'm sure they won't have trouble finding someone else. Plus, I wasn't expecting to get this other job when I accepted the retail one. I was polite and let them know right away, so I don't feel badly about it.

Well, the employer sounded really peeved, so I didn't even get to bring it up. I told him that I received a job offer yesterday evening, and that I want to take it because it's full-time, in a law office. He goes, "ok," sounding really irritated. I told him I appreciated his help, and he goes "alright," and hangs up on me. I guess that's that!

He is just mad because he invested all that time and effort into interviewing and hiring you. Now he has to do that all over again. He will get over it. You have to do what is best for you, so don't even sweat it.

you cant expect him to be happy about it but you did the right thing taking the better job, In the future though especialy if this new job is in ur carreer field I would attempt to give a little more notice to your old employer if possible because you have burned this bridge most likely at least at the one particular retail location as long as that person you dealt with is still in the posistion of hiring people. all in all you did the right thing taking the better job

if the employer wasn't prepared to listen to you on the phone why not write a quick note thanking them for the opportunity of the job and that you know it was a difficult situation for you to put him in, that the other job came up after you had accepted the first positon but its in the field you are looking for.

Also put in that that you would be prepared/interested/offering to work on a part time basis on weekends if he would consider it.

He can only say no, but then at least you've stated your case and put yourself back in a good position/standing with the company.