How important is punctuality in your job?

It's not really an issue with my boss. I beat him into the office every day, I get my work done, I work as late as he needs me, and he's never said anything to me about being late (15 minutes MAX, I promise!! :o ).

Today he called me into his office and informed me that there were some "discrepancies" on my timesheet and that HR is now comparing when we swipe our keycards against what we put on our timesheets. I was spared the wrath of HR because my boss is the "big boss" of our office. He rolled his eyes when telling me this and assured me I wasn't the only one with discrepancies, that he has no problem with when I come into the office, the office manager has no problem, he didn't want it to go on my "record" and that he just wanted me to be aware. :rolleyes:

Of course because I love making mountains out of a molehills, I marched myself into the OM's office and asked him what the hell is the deal with all the nitpicky bureaucracy, etc. [Nicely, of course] He yammered for about 20 minutes, mainly repeating that he doesn't believe for a second I'm trying to screw the company out of $, etc. That made me feel a little better, I guess.

I don't know. My whole issue is with HR getting involved in a situation that has only to do with me and my boss. If my boss had a real problem with my lateness, I'm sure he'd say something.

HR needs to butt out. Yes, it sounds immature to say this but I HATE "company policy." :p

Anyway, that's a bit of a rant I guess. Anyway, anyone else been in a similar situation?

It looks like it does bother *someone* that you are tardy on a regular basis. They may be blaming it on HR, but believe me, it's been noticed and it is now being documented.

How about this? Show up on time for work? I just do not get how people cannot get to their work on time....I mean, get up earlier if this is such an issue for you. A company has set operating hours, how do you think the clients would feel if everyday they tried to contact your company, and no one was there, even though they had posted their regular business hours? They would go somewhere else.

Word of advice, show up at least 10 minutes early every day and you will keep your job. Continue on as you are, lose your job. It depends on what it is worth to you. If you can't get it together enough to get to work ON TIME, then find another job that starts later. But, I've seen this happen enough, even with later hours, the person still can't get it together enough to make it into work on time.

Now that HR is involved, and you've been officially 'talked to' (it was a verbal warning--I'm just letting you know--this is in your employee file and will be utilized when time to terminate comes, and then be utilized during the unemployment claim process. just sayin!) you need to get it together and show up on time already! get a better alarm clock, go to bed earlier, don't stop for Starbucks or McDonalds--just get there.

Rocket science, it is not.

If my boss had a real problem with my lateness, I'm sure he'd say something.

not if you wore a tight sweater, mini-skirt and stiletos every day...:p

I work as a supervisor for call monitoring at a large bank...if my employees expect me to be on time than I sure expect them to be. It's very simple...if they're in at 8 AM I expect them to be at their phones monitoring customer service and collection calls at 8 AM. In other words...they don't need to be getting coffee at that time...be at their desks. If they walk in the door at 8 AM, in my mind they're late.

I'd be careful. Your boss has one view, company policy another. Beating your boss to work on time doesn't mean you are on time, just that you got there before him. You should adhere to your schedule - especially since someone somewhere in your company is making an issue out of something. It sounds like you can clear this up easily enough by simply getting there when you should (or a little early) and leaving when you should. It could be about other things other than simply trying to "screw" the company out of $$

Hope that helps.

Of course because I love making mountains out of a molehills, I marched myself into the OM's office and asked him what the hell is the deal with all the nitpicky bureaucracy, etc. [Nicely, of course] He yammered for about 20 minutes, mainly repeating that he doesn't believe for a second I'm trying to screw the company out of $, etc.

Somebody complained about you to HR and you've been given a offical warning. Your boss doesn't want to come across as the big bad boss, so he lets HR deal with problems. Continuing to come late gives your company a reason to terminate you.

• Author

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thanks anyway. I was hoping for a tad bit of sympathy, or at least an "HR departments are crap!" tirade from a fellow worker bee but I see I'll get none of that here. In the grand scheme of things, given the fact I get glowing reviews every year, and my boss is always loading heaps of praise on me, and I work my ass off when the chips are down, I just don't think 10 minutes is anything to freak out about. Apparently that's just me and that's why I'm not in management.

• Author
Somebody complained about you to HR and you've been given a offical warning. Your boss doesn't want to come across as the big bad boss, so he lets HR deal with problems. Continuing to come late gives your company a reason to terminate you.

Nope that wasn't the case at all. It was a sweeping review of the staff timesheets. A lot of people were talked to, not just me.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thanks anyway. I was hoping for a tad bit of sympathy, or at least an "HR departments are crap!" tirade from a fellow worker bee but I see I'll get none of that here. In the grand scheme of things, given the fact I get glowing reviews every year, and my boss is always loading heaps of praise on me, and I work my ass off when the chips are down, I just don't think 10 minutes is anything to freak out about. Apparently that's just me and that's why I'm not in management.

Speaking from personal experience, HR does suck a big one. Unfortunately, you will run into the type that nitpick about a minute or two, or three being late. Does HR have any power to fire you? If not, screw them. You go to the office day after day and do your job. I really don't think that a few minutes here and there will make a difference. Are you happy now pussycat?:p

Speaking from personal experience, HR does suck a big one.

What does HR stand for again??!!

Hot Rolling?? Human Relations??

• Author
Speaking from personal experience, HR does suck a big one. Unfortunately, you will run into the type that nitpick about a minute or two, or three being late. Does HR have any power to fire you? If not, screw them. You go to the office day after day and do your job. I really don't think that a few minutes here and there will make a difference. Are you happy now pussycat?:p

:p:laugh: Yes, thank you Riddler. HR has the power to fire anyone but only if a "boss" complains. Generally no one gets fired where I work. You'd have to come to work with a firearm and threaten to shoot someone to get canned. :rolleyes:

:p:laugh: Yes, thank you Riddler. HR has the power to fire anyone but only if a "boss" complains. Generally no one gets fired where I work. You'd have to come to work with a firearm and threaten to shoot someone to get canned. :rolleyes:

Alright then. Screw HR. Until your boss complains to you, make your own starting time.:laugh:

You'd have to come to work with a firearm and threaten to shoot someone to get canned. :rolleyes:

Maybe after they've disarmed you.

Alright then. Screw HR. Until your boss complains to you, make your own starting time.:laugh:

That's the problem - she already does.

But her boss hasn't threatened her employment at the company.

She already works there...of her own free will.

Perhaps it is not just the issue of being late but of not recording your hours properly. If you are 15 minutes late on a regular basis but work half an hour later 3 days a week, maybe that is what should be on your time sheet. It sounds like you are likely an hourly employee and they think you are being paid for time you aren't there.

If I were you, I would want this resolved with your boss and HR present because the way it sounds now, you have been given your first verbal warning.

• Author

As far as I'm concerned I have one person to keep happy at work - my boss. He says he's a happy camper, so that's all I need to know. He's an important guy at my company and easily trumps the administrative BS.

I guess it's just the principle of HR butting in and trying to cause problems where there are no problems. It's almost as if it's a power trip for them.

As far as I'm concerned I have one person to keep happy at work - my boss.

That's fine as long as you come as a pair. But it still doesn't give you carte blanche to lie on your timesheet.

If you work less time than you claim for, then ask for a commensurate raise.

• Author

Who said anything about lying? I fill in my timesheets the day they're due. I eyeball it. Everyone does. However the anal retentive regime has taken over so from henceforth I will record the exact minute I sit at my desk and the exact minute I log off.

Who said anything about lying?

I stand corrected. I quite liked the idea of you being horizontal, though.

I fill in my timesheets the day they're due. I eyeball it. Everyone does.

I come from a crazy paper world where we document things when they happen. Weird, huh.

• Author
I come from a crazy paper world where we document things when they happen. Weird, huh.

Such is the life of a mad paper pusher, I guess.

Such is the life of a mad paper pusher, I guess.

Are you making fun of me? Are you saying I'm mad?? Madder than Mad Jack McMad, winner of last year's Mr Madman competition??!!