Star Wars vs. Scientology

Admiral Thrawn

Well, it seems that anyone who is fascinated into the space opera and Science fantasy of Star Wars, such as myself, may actually be subtly indoctrinated with concepts from the church of Scientology.

I'm doing reserach into it, but what is regarded as fiction within the Star Wars franchise is actually doctrine in the Scientology doctrines - as stated by Hubbard. This has freaked the heck out of me, as I have a fascination of Star Wars fictional expanded universe, and it makes me feel wierd to hear that being actually endorced by this religion, because it seems like I'm sucking into a heritical doctrine.

The Scientology doctrine teaches about inter-galactic tyrants, past alien civilisations in galaxies far far away, where some humans may have persisted, and I've also read that Hubbard - a main proponent of Scientology was paid

$ 666 million for his scrip in the Star Wars franchise.

Oh my gosh - I just love the Star Wars expanded universe and all that - while all along, it's a stunt to popularise a doctrine from the scientology church to the public. Wow.

Oh my gosh - I just love the Star Wars expanded universe and all that - while all along, it's a stunt to popularise a doctrine from the scientology church to the public. Wow.

Interesting theory.......

I see Star Wars as entertainment only.

But the character Yoda was used to push the yoga industry IMHO. As was Jobba, which was used by those diet programs to leave subliminal messages in the minds of viewers to sign up to groups such as Weight Watchers and Jenny Craig.

Now are you being serious? :confused:

As was Jobba, which was used by those diet programs to leave subliminal messages in the minds of viewers to sign up to groups such as Weight Watchers and Jenny Craig.

no A4a...that was actuallly Pizza the Hut. He was involved in subliminal covert marketing to boost sales at the national pizza chain :laugh:

Actually, I've mostly seen people claim that Star Wars has Christian overtones so to affiliate it with Hubbard's clan is a stretch.

You could, of course, decide that all of sci fi is Scientology. I'd prefer to take the view that Hubbard liked Sci Fi so much he decided to turn it into religion.

• Author
Admiral Thrawn
Interesting theory.......

I see Star Wars as entertainment only.

That's what the church of scientology, or what ever is behind the secret 'religious' messages would like you to believe.

But the character Yoda was used to push the yoga industry IMHO. As was Jobba, which was used by those diet programs to leave subliminal messages in the minds of viewers to sign up to groups such as Weight Watchers and Jenny Craig.

That's interesting. Well, at the very least, it seems Star Wars seems to be rife with various religious themes.

For example, a Christian Messiah form is portrayed by Anakin Skywalker, 'the Chosen One', who gives up his life to destroy the Empire and save the universe (except his conversion to the dark side) - seems more like 'Sampson' though in the OT.

The concept of the 'Force' seems like some mysticism from Eastern religions, including Ying/Yan, Buddist, etc.... - Sith/Jedi - bring balance to the force, it would even appear to have devil-cullts being represented by 'siths' which makes the movie franchise even more scary.

So, in a sence, it may not be the case that Star Wars is exclusively a scientology concept, but it appears to be rife with religious themes.

Scientology is diabolical, as Hubbard, founder was mentored by a satanist, and this is the same guy who wrote or inspired Star Wars things. He had some contract with the Star Wars franchise was was paid $ 666 Million (666?). I can show you the links on the internet I got this from, but one of those links are reputable - wikipedia.

Now are you being serious? :confused:

This is a DEAD serious thread. Admiral Thrawn is a fictional Imperial Star Wars character in Timothy Zhan's expanded universe novels - Heir to the Empire, Dark force rising, and Last command books. I would hate to know that one of my favourite series is potentially occultic and dangerous.

ohhh........... AT it could be occultic.

I would imagine that what is his name blinky jar jar or whatever was part of something from Eygptian mythology.... I am just guessing at that from his appearance of course.

Hummmm......

I am reading Curious George and the Missing Puzzle Piece right now....

It does have some undertones of Voo Doo in it.

My point is you can read anything into anything if you try hard enough.

How do you feel about fortune cookies?

Actually, I've mostly seen people claim that Star Wars has Christian overtones so to affiliate it with Hubbard's clan is a stretch.

I don't know....I was always under the impression that Darth Vader was Moslem :laugh:

• Author
Admiral Thrawn

Here are some links that go into more detail about scientology and space opera/ galactic empires, etc...

1) http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenu

2) http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xim_the_Despot

3) http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_opera_in_Scientology_doctrine

These show that the fantasy universe of Star Wars is very analogos to how someone in the higher ranks of scientology would believe about the universe as a cannonical doctrine.

Considering the Star Wars franchise is almost 30 years old and is one of the most-seen sets of film in all history and considering that Scientology did not exactly see a swell in membership because of it, I think your worry that humans are so feeble-minded that Star Wars can turn them into Hubbardites is unfounded.

More people have explored Scientology because of the stars who have publicly adhered themselves to Hubbardism than through Star Wars.

So try to un-knot your knickers. The sky is not falling.

I don't know....I was always under the impression that Darth Vader was Moslem :laugh:

I thought he was Amish???

Would explain the drab attire?

• Author
Admiral Thrawn

George Lucas has described himself as a Buddist-Methodist, so it's likely that there are going to be aspects of both faiths in his films. But, it's just wierd to see a religion that's based on science fantasy - that's really far out.

George Lucas has described himself as a Buddist-Methodist, so it's likely that there are going to be aspects of both faiths in his films. But, it's just wierd to see a religion that's based on science fantasy - that's really far out.

In my view the SCI way in believing that aliens space ships etc is no stranger than what any other religion states as their truth.

To all religion is far fetched. May as well try to convince me that Apollo is carrying the sun around our planet at this very moment. :lmao:

George Lucas has described himself as a Buddist-Methodist,

I don't know if I would trust a man who's a multi-millionaire but hasn't had a date in years...

He was married for a long time. Got his heart broken by some woman. Sound familiar? :p

Maybe Lucas should donate all his money to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and then live as a pauper :laugh:

WT* is Bill doing with that skank he calls his wife anyways...:p

HokeyReligions

LOL!

Well -- may the farce be with you then! Uh, I mean 'force' :lmao:

WT* is Bill doing with that skank he calls his wife anyways

? 'Skank'? Oh, I get it. Intellect and kindness doesn't cut it unless you look like JLO, right? :rolleyes:

? 'Skank'? Oh, I get it. Intellect and kindness doesn't cut it unless you look like JLO, right? :rolleyes:

There are a number of very attractive, kind, and intelligent women in the world. Unfortunately, most of them don't reside in the USA. :p

westernxer

George Lucas based his characters on the writings of Joseph Campbell, a well known scholar on comparative religion and mythology. Rumor has it Lucas even met with Campbell before writing the script, or something like that.

That's my understanding.

Having read some of Campbell's works, I can see where the religious aspect would play a role in Star Wars. He's an excellent source on the symbolic importance of religion in culture and society.

reservoirdog1

Hey, I've been an ardent Star Wars fan for almost thirty years, and even I know it's just entertainment.

Only for the weak-willed could it possibly serve as a gateway to "stronger drugs" like Scientology.

Only for the weak-willed could it possibly serve as a gateway to "stronger drugs" like Scientology.

Were not they associating the Lord of the Rings with devil worship or Satanism?

There's people that associate any form of fantasy with either good or bad religious overtones. They badly need lives. Like saying Harry Potter's anti-Christian :rolleyes:

I'm doing reserach into it

Go to a good library to do research.

There's some crazy bullcrap on the internet, and you seem to be falling in the way of it recently?

This has freaked the heck out of me, as I have a fascination of Star Wars fictional expanded universe, and it makes me feel wierd to hear that being actually endorced by this religion, because it seems like I'm sucking into a heritical doctrine.

Why don't you treat Scientology and Star Wars the same way? You're not a Scientologist. Why not regard both Hubbard and Lucas as interesting fiction raconteurs?

I've also read that Hubbard - a main proponent of Scientology was paid

$ 666 million for his scrip in the Star Wars franchise.

L. Ron Hubbard was not paid $666 million.

The film itself grossed about a third of that, max.

while all along, it's a stunt to popularise a doctrine from the scientology church to the public.

If it were, wouldn't more people know about the connection? Much more of a big deal has been made about the parallels between Christianity and Star Wars.

Well, at the very least, it seems Star Wars seems to be rife with various religious themes.

That's one way of looking at it.

I think that religion, especially ones based on scripturalized oral traditions, incorporates a lot of elements of myth and storytelling into their total package. Whether it's the great flood or Jesus Christ or Dianetics, a good story is told the same way, and mythical archetypes transcend that packaging.

I think you should look into Joseph Campbell, the leading figure in mythology, if this stuff interests you. It's all the insight without the crazy conspiracy theorist edge.