Curious to know why.....

I recently moved to the South and am often approached by people that believe in their religion and seem to find the need to convert me, or dish out warnings of my after death demise.....

I am quite content with my own belief, I do not ask their opinions or desire to hear their opinions. Why is it that so many seem to want to convert, or chastise me for not wanting their belief shoved down my throat? I am not looking for the "there is a god there is not a god debate"....... just want to know why this happens.

a4a

Just out of curiosity, what is the faith of those who approach you the most or is it pretty much a mixed bag?

I think some of those sects are pretty strong on converting all the heathen as part of their requirements. You should learn the lingo and fend them off that way. Something like 'I have been saved, Praise Jesus' with eyes rolled heavenward ought to do the job nicely :laugh:

interestingly enough, I asked that same question to the priest who wandered in back here yesterday. And he said to reply, "I have been saved, and I am in the process of being saved, because every time I receive Communion, I receive Christ." Not bad for a newby priest, eh? ;)

I think the folks here in the Bible Belt feel that to evangelize, or to bring Christ to others, doing so in an aggressive manner is perfectly fine. However, most of us hold our spiritual beliefs very close to us, and while we don't mind sharing it's still done in a private, respectful way. At least, this is what I've found among my fellow Catholics.

best thing I've found is to simply thank them for the good work they're doing and send them on their way. Once in awhile, you get lucky though, and meet someone who is willing to share his or her beliefs about your common faith, and you learn something from each other ...

Admiral Thrawn

Well, if your house was on fire, you would want someone to tell you right?

If they told you, you would call the fire department, and water the fire down.

Would you resent them for telling you, or would you rather have seen your home go down in ashes while nobody said a word, and you cant do anything about it once you found out. Would you thank your neighbours for not doing anything about it?

You have very caring neighbours down south. They dont want you to burn in hell, because once you are there, it is too late. The Bible says, now, or today is the acceptable time for salvation. If you reject or neglect Jesus, the Son of God, and creator of the Universe's Sacrifice for your sin, and in stead choose to meet God by your own righteousness, you are doomed.

Think about it. You are alive. You can still be saved before its too late.

If you reject or neglect Jesus, the Son of God, and creator of the Universe's Sacrifice for your sin, and in stead choose to meet God by your own righteousness, you are doomed.

Oh good grief...

she asked about why southerners preach the Gospel to her and that is how you answer.. more preaching..

Admiral Thrawn
Oh good grief...

she asked about why southerners preach the Gospel to her and that is how you answer.. more preaching..

Tell that to God on Judgement day and see where that is going to take you.

You have a future court date set, and everything in your life is going to be judged.

I wouldn't flaunt this if I were you.

There's your answer a4a. They're so brainwashed into the cults that they are convinced that it's their mission in life to 'save' everyone. You can't call 'fire' in a crowded theatre, and nor should you be entitled to pick people up and drag them out against their wishes because you think you smell fire even when there isn't one.

You have a future court date set, and everything in your life is going to be judged.

Thank you for your concern :lmao:

I think I can take care of myself and I also can take care of my own religious beliefs..

There are many views and many religions...

Please remember that when posting

Hell and damnation do not save people and your scare tactics do neither. God is love and you do not brow beat people into believing. You show concern and LOVE.

• Like 1
BlacknessOfSleep

Weird...I live in Mississippi and don't have that problem. I'm a pagan, but people perceive me to be just a normal person walking around and don't bother me. Unless you're just screaming that you're not of a certain religion, I don't see why people would be harrassing you. Now, I do know that a lot of people use bible references or praise god or thank the lord, etc, but don't mistake that for pushing religion on you. Just smile and say that you already have a faith, thank you and don't wish to discuss it. Southern people aren't stupid for the most part, they'll leave you alone. I swear.

This is what I like to say to evangelical's that try to convert me....

"Sorry but I follow the teachings of the dark lord, thats right I'm a devil worshipping satanist." Then give them a big smile and walk away.

• Like 1
Admiral Thrawn
There's your answer a4a. They're so brainwashed into the cults that they are convinced that it's their mission in life to 'save' everyone. You can't call 'fire' in a crowded theatre, and nor should you be entitled to pick people up and drag them out against their wishes because you think you smell fire even when there isn't one.

But there is one.

Admiral Thrawn
Thank you for your concern :lmao:

I think I can take care of myself and I also can take care of my own religious beliefs..

There are many views and many religions...

Please remember that when posting

But there is only one way to heaven. Jesus Himself said, that "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life, and no man cometh to the father, but by Me".

It's God's way or the highway. And the Bible says, Broad is the way that leadeth to destruction, but narrow is the way that leadeth to life, and few that be that find it.

The book of Proverbs says, "There is a way that seemeth right unto men, but the end thereof is death."

So, what you are saying is completely true and in line with the Bible - you are in the broad highway like most people are.

Let God be true, and every man a liar. Seek the Lord while He may be found.

Jesus said: He that asketh receiveth. He that seeketh findeth. He that knocketh it shall be opened.

Call upon the Lord while He is near.

If you want me to provide direct references to where I got these verses I'll re-post, but I have a good memory and these verses should be accurate.

• Like 1
Admiral Thrawn
Hell and damnation do not save people and your scare tactics do neither. God is love and you do not brow beat people into believing. You show concern and LOVE.

Hell and damnation is the consequence of sin. To deny its existance serves no purpose.

If you love someone, you tell the truth, you dont sugar coat the message, and then when you find out a week later, your friend died without Christ, you are not going to be in a nasty guilt-trip, right - at least you tried?

Now, that I've said that, I've got to get back serious into this. I concede, I have slacked off Ministering to people out there. I tell you what, I'll order some tracts and give them out next week.

Thanks for this inspiration!

Admiral Thrawn
So this is really all about you.

Well gee, I dont know. I guess if you saw someone about to kill themselves, you wouldn't try to pursuade them otherwise, right, maybe encourage them to follow their beliefs - after all, everyone is right, right?

Well gee, I dont know. I guess if you saw someone about to kill themselves, you wouldn't try to pursuade them otherwise, right, maybe encourage them to follow their beliefs - after all, everyone is right, right?

Nope!

My imaginary friend is better than your imaginary friend.

• Like 1
Admiral Thrawn
Nope!

My imaginary friend is better than your imaginary friend.

Right, and you are imaginary too right? Saying a person doesn't exist because you have not seen them or have a relationship with them does not give you the right to jump to such conclusions, as I can make the same arguement about you. I cant see you. Suppose you are a computer generated personality?

Just because you dont see something does not mean it is imaginary.

• Author

Well I live my life probably in more of a "christ like pattern" then most christians do.

However I do not believe in god or jesus or any other myth. I in my view would be just as well off in the worship of Apollo and praising him for moving the sun around the earth in his glorious chariot.

And Admiral what you are doing here right now is exactly what I am speaking about....... fire and brimstone.....:rolleyes:

I do not declare my non belief..... it will be brought up in normal conversation by others looking to convert... "what church do you go to? Are you open on Sunday?" ect.

Let me ask you this Admiral ..... How would you feel if I pushed the worship of Apollo on you.... told you that you were condemned and a lesser person for not thinking the way I did? If my belief caused you not to be able to be open for business on certain days of the week ( heathen blue laws), or effected your life in other ways?

I do not understand the need to save people through bashing them or attacking them with unwanted preaching. Your fear of hell and need for salvation is your issue...... not mine.

(I do not believe in hell but if there were such a thing I am sure I would easily get a job in a management position). :)

Can your god not see that a person is good and would deserve to be in heaven if they have spent their entire life doing good deeds.......or is this god only willing to take in those that have been sprinkled or dunked in water and attended church and proclaimed such an entity as their savior?

Is it not my business if I choose to worship Apollo or a stick for that matter? Why is it so difficult to get through to people like yourself that we don't want to hear your preaching..... to us it means nothing. Actually I find it a bit disrespectful in a sense, and highly annoying. You may as well being trying to sell me Amway products.

Leave us alone........ if I wanted to worship with you... a church is just around the corner. All I want is freedom from religion. :)

a4a

• Like 1
Admiral Thrawn
:

Let me ask you this Admiral ..... How would you feel if I pushed the worship of Apollo on you.... told you that you were condemned and a lesser person for not thinking the way I did? If my belief caused you not to be able to be open for business on certain days of the week ( heathen blue laws), or effected your life in other ways?

Apollo is an idol. People reject the true God and serve the creature more than the creator. Most idols out there is really an abstract diefication of nature, passions and desires apart from the Holy true God.

What do you know about 'apollo' - he would likely be a diefication of one of these aspects I've mentioned. I encourage this discussion.

No religion has people dying at the mouths of lions for their faith. Certainly not pagan culture. In the end, the Pagan culture is what supported Nero, Pharoah, and totalitarian systems. Christianity - was always against slavery, and in fact, was instrumental in dismantling slavery of Black people when people realised, masters and slaves alike would be judged under the same God. All Christian societies are democratic and progressive.

I do not understand the need to save people through bashing them or attacking them with unwanted preaching. Your fear of hell and need for salvation is your issue...... not mine.

(I do not believe in hell but if there were such a thing I am sure I would easily get a job in a management position). :)

God respects free-will. The fact this is bothering you so much shows that you know this is true, and it is much more than just harassment. You are trying to run away from God, doing things in your own way, but the void, restlessness and emptiness is still there. The Lord is knocking on your door even today, if you will let Him in.

He said, behold, He standeth at the door and knocketh, if any man openeth the door, He will come inside, and have supper with you, and you will eat with him today.

Can your god not see that a person is good and would deserve to be in heaven if they have spent their entire life doing good deeds.......or is this god only willing to take in those that have been sprinkled or dunked in water and attended church and proclaimed such an entity as their savior?

The Bible says that John 3:16 "God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life".

God loves this world so much that He sacrificed His Son for your sin. It is not about attending church or deeds of righteousness, since all our righteousness is like "filthy rags". That is why, God sent His Son to die on the Cross, and to raise from the dead.

Is it not my business if I choose to worship Apollo or a stick for that matter? Why is it so difficult to get through to people like yourself that we don't want to hear your preaching..... to us it means nothing. Actually I find it a bit disrespectful in a sense, and highly annoying. You may as well being trying to sell me Amway products.

The carnal mind can not accept the things of God, nor can it understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Leave us alone........ if I wanted to worship with you... a church is just around the corner. All I want is freedom from religion. :)

The Lord says, Come unto Me, all ye that are weak and heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

You may want to stay away from God, but you can not run from yourself.

You will never experience freedom from yourself and the tyranny of your passions and of your self. Your sin will follow you wherever you go. The invitation is still there.

I know you dont like this, but think about it. There is a better way.

You will thank us all later.

You realize, a4a, that you'll never win this one, right? People with blinders on simply are unable to see that they're wearing blinders. And there's not a single thing you can do for them.

BTW, I'm a Christian; Catholic in fact but there's no way in hell I believe what this dude does. Nor do I cram my beliefs down people's throats.

• Like 1
slubberdegullion

Proselytizing is the work of darkness. It denigrates the pluralistic love epitomized by Jesus during his ministry because it remains exclusive. It says "believe this or you're going to hell without an electric fan."

Love is inclusive, not exclusive. Forces of darkness - and make no mistake, they're absolutely real - guise themselves in "feelings" of religious fervour and sway otherwise-rational believers into working for dark aims instead of reaching out in humility and love.

Proselytizing is, in a very real sense, the work of the devil.

You realize, a4a, that you'll never win this one, right? People with blinders on simply are unable to see that they're wearing blinders. And there's not a single thing you can do for them.

BTW, I'm a Christian; Catholic in fact but there's no way in hell I believe what this dude does. Nor do I cram my beliefs down people's throats.

I second this and say a loud AMEN!to Slubber's post.

It is this kind of behavior, Admiral, that makes Christianity UNattractive to people, which, unless you are of the Enemy, is exactly what you don't want, right?

Matthew 7:1. Leave the judging to God. Yamaha got it spot on as well: