My Chinese fiancé doesn't celebrate Christmas

mysterious14355

Due to my fiancé’s religion and belief, she doesn’t celebrate Christmas.

I’ve been looking forward to the holidays and my vacation is also based on this Christian holiday but it becomes a bit tedious due to the fact that it doesn’t go well with her belief.

I met my loving fiancé through a singles tour in China. It was love at first sight and I’m really happy and contented with her. I am open to the fact that she stays true to her beliefs and religious practices. Christmas has become a holiday which allows me to relax from months of nonstop work, overtime and deadlines.

I’ve always wanted to celebrate Christmas properly for a change; like a gift exchange, great dinner… an excuse to spend for a luxurious dinner. Although I think we can just do it for fun it’s still different since she knows it’s the Christmas Eve. She’s also very peculiar when it comes to expenses and just sees it as some sort of a waste of money.

I’ve talked to her about it and have given her silly scenarios just to make her at least see it in a different perspective that could be acceptable in her beliefs.

I need advice on how I should approach this issue with her again… or if you have any thoughts for alternatives to do during those vacation days? Thanks in advance!

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator

I don't understand why you would purposefully go and look for someone of a different culture to date when you seem to know nothing about that culture and don't appear to be willing to learn/compromise (and the same goes for her as well, really).

Do you do the entire Chinese New Year celebration with her?

• Like 2
I’ve always wanted to celebrate Christmas properly for a change; like a gift exchange, great dinner… an excuse to spend for a luxurious dinner.

mysterious14355, what you've described there is only just a nice Valentine's Day or birthday celebration; it has nothing to do with a proper (spiritual or religious) celebration of what Christmas represents to Christians.

So, it's quite possible that you and your fiancé are really on the same page about Christmas, after all.

There is nothing wrong with taking off the last week of the calendar year to reflect on the past twelve months and make plans for the upcoming year; dinners and gifts can be part of such personal tradition. Thus, you two can create something that is unique and meaningful to both of you.

• 2 weeks later...

Many Chinese celebrate Christmas too, just not so seriously as americans do.

Your girlfriend seems to be a devoted Buddhist, so she is against Christianity in every way.

u may try to tell her Christmas is just a festival, it is no longer a religious event.

just like the Chinese spring festival, it is a cultural tradition, a social event.

the Chinese must celebrate the spring festival/new year with their family, buy gifts etc, since it is important social event.

so its same with Christmas event for western countries.

• Like 2
u may try to tell her Christmas is just a festival, it is no longer a religious event. ...a cultural tradition, a social event.

...its same with Christmas event for western countries.

unit1,

You gave a very apt description for how most, even practicing Christians, see and treat Christmas! I do agree with you that it's devolved to where the 'spiritualness' is no longer the most important part.

• 1 month later...

I’m a Christian and I do celebrate Christmas for the gift giving. I’ll even take the day off as its a national holiday. But Christmas in itself is a pagan holiday. Nowhere in the bible is Jesus birthday given nor is it stated to celebrate Christmas in remebrance of him.

I’m not trying to be a party pooper. I understand many Christians celebrate Christmas with a good heart and intentions. Just be aware that if its not in the text of the bible then its not truth. Don’t be decieved by the world.