Anyone met a spiritual guru \ saint ?

Justanaverageguy

Interested to hear peoples experiences if they have encountered or met a spiritual guru or "saint". If they got anything out of the experience - if they felt anything.

I've previously spent time staying in Ashrams and attending a variety of spiritual events. I've met a variety of different people - some just other seekers, some performers and some self declared gurus with their own followers. Often I would get a bit of a feeling from some of these people but nothing really too out of the ordinary. Normally just I could feel that they were very calm, peaceful souls.

Last week I visisted a Darshan event held by Amma. She is often referred to as the hugging saint. Shes an indian woman with a massive following who travels the world providing darshan - which is simply to hold events where she hugs people. A friend invited me and I didn't really know what to expect I had heard of her in passing but didn't know too much about her specifically.

I was rather shocked to turn up at the event and find a line of literally thousands of people queuing in order to get a ticket to receive a hug (they are free - ticket just required to keep things orderly). The line was so ridiculously long that I contemplated going home but my friend encouraged me to stay so I did.

After a ceremony and blessing the hugging began. I honestly wasn't expecting that much and couldn't really see what the fuss was about to hug an old lady. The queue is so large that the hugging takes about 12 hours to get through everyone - as such we were waiting around for a while and got asked to go in and help in the kitchen with cleaning up for the event - which we did. There I spoke to a bunch of people who raved about how Amma had changed their lives and they now follow her on her tours through Europe and the USA to volunteer and help in anyway they can. The guy I was cleaning beside me kept chuckling and saying your in for something if this is your first time.

My interest was now a little peaked ..... we actually over stayed our time in the kitchen and missed our call for Darshan but they let us in line when we finally left the kitchen. When I stepped on the stage - booom. It was like hit a wall of energy. That woman has an something you can really feel. The whole stage was crammed with people in any space they could fit sitting and meditating and trying to get as close as possible to her for as long as possible. They had people politely asking people to leave to make room for others it was so overcrowded. I had an intense and indeed almost painful feeling in my head in the area between my eyes which moved down to the heart. I was ushered to the front by an assistant for a hug and after that I spent a good hour on the stage with everyone else just absorbing what ever it was that was going on there.

The whole week since - I've been buzzing and in an amazing mood. Just feel lighter - like a load was lifted off me. Also had some weird intense experiences while meditating and going to sleep at night.

Anyone else had an experience like this ? Also highly recommend giving her a visit if she happens to come through your area.

Edited by Justanaverageguy
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Justanaverageguy.

I have had a similar experience, but not with someone who identified as a spiritual teacher or healer. The same 'boom-wow-tingling' kind of feeling, though.

My seeking after that experience - especially for some kind of explanation that would make sense to my outer mind - was somewhat answered by some of the articles on the following lists: list 1 and list 2. (I'm not sure what will speak to you, so leaving it to you to use your own intuition as to which one to check.)

What did become extremely obvious to me was the importance for spiritual seekers and students to always, always, always invoke proper and comprehensive spiritual protection. Especially after such an intense experience, where your consciousness and Energy field are now wide open, you can be inadvertently and unwillingly exposed to the unsavoury elements dwelling in the Astral planes.

Do you practice dream/sleep yoga? (Since you mention experiences at night, it got me to wondering.)

• Like 1
todreaminblue

personally havent met a saint or guru i have however met some great spiritual leaders who dont claim perfection.......a lot of them are still in school and wear sneakers that become untied....the biggest spirits i have met are in children......their innocence is inspiring.....i aspire to be just like them to reach and touch the very child heart of me........trusting and full of wonder.....

i find mother theresa inspiring and the leaders in my church are great leaders .....soldiers who give and give and give again to edify those they teach.....i have met many great spirits who lead with integrity their lives as an example of great spiritual clarity......who live their lives with god at the helm.....

as far as gurus go......never met one that i know.....but i once was told....actually quite a few times to always open my door for the needy and the travellers.......because you never know of one of them may be an angel in disguise.....so if i were going to hug peoples.......ill make sure.....some of them will be the homeless that arrive on my doorstep....

i think theres a fine line between guru and cult and dvd sales.....and im not into that...spirituality for profit.......deb

• Like 1
  • Author
Justanaverageguy

i think theres a fine line between guru and cult and dvd sales.....and im not into that...spirituality for profit.......deb

This is how I have previously felt. Its easy to understand why there is many false "gurus" because it basically puts you in a position of power. People worship you and you get to live a privileged life as a result - which kind of turns the whole service paradigm on its head. I always found the guru worship weird as like you said it seemed to be a lot about making money. I've gone to some ashrams before and met spiritual teachers but never really had any sort of powerful feeling from them nor did I really expect to.

This one though when I walked on the stage I felt like I was going to fall over. There was a palpable energy which others could feel as well. The ushers were trying to stop the stage over crowding and people were begging to be allowed to stay there longer just to be near her. Never seen anything like it. Could also be the effect of the group but whatever it was it was real.

She definitely still cashes in on her popularity but the money goes towards a good cause helping the poor in India so its hard to dismiss it as wrong. I think however it would be very easy for people on a nobel path to come completely unstuck when they begin to ascend up to these levels where people literally treat you as a god. I mean even mother teresa was made a saint - and she had loads of money donated towards her to facilitate the work she did. Seems to be the ones who can make the money and get the power - but not have it change them or their purpose.

• Like 1
  • Author
Justanaverageguy

What did become extremely obvious to me was the importance for spiritual seekers and students to always, always, always invoke proper and comprehensive spiritual protection. Especially after such an intense experience, where your consciousness and Energy field are now wide open, you can be inadvertently and unwillingly exposed to the unsavoury elements dwelling in the Astral planes.

Do you practice dream/sleep yoga? (Since you mention experiences at night, it got me to wondering.)

What exactly is dream / sleep yoga ? Haven’t heard of that before. The night experiences after mostly seemed to be positive. Felt more like a release - with kind of an intense feeling that would rise up and pass and then leave me feeling very calm and peaceful.

todreaminblue
This is how I have previously felt. Its easy to understand why there is many false "gurus" because it basically puts you in a position of power. People worship you and you get to live a privileged life as a result - which kind of turns the whole service paradigm on its head. I always found the guru worship weird as like you said it seemed to be a lot about making money. I've gone to some ashrams before and met spiritual teachers but never really had any sort of powerful feeling from them nor did I really expect to.

This one though when I walked on the stage I felt like I was going to fall over. There was a palpable energy which others could feel as well. The ushers were trying to stop the stage over crowding and people were begging to be allowed to stay there longer just to be near her. Never seen anything like it. Could also be the effect of the group but whatever it was it was real.

She definitely still cashes in on her popularity but the money goes towards a good cause helping the poor in India so its hard to dismiss it as wrong. I think however it would be very easy for people on a nobel path to come completely unstuck when they begin to ascend up to these levels where people literally treat you as a god. I mean even mother teresa was made a saint - and she had loads of money donated towards her to facilitate the work she did. Seems to be the ones who can make the money and get the power - but not have it change them or their purpose.

good points....thankyou for sharing

i have a problem with the worship thing.which sort of hangs around gurus and other like minded souls.....they develop within themselves feelings of superiority

.mother teresa would not have wanted people to worship her as she would then be a false idol.....if they were to worship with the idea in mind that everything done by these said gurus or saints was done only with god enabling..in the service of god.....blessings received are of god...then i wouldnt have a problem....when i think of mother teresa i think of a god fearing woman who did her work unnoticed mostly....she was devoted always....and left her family to never see them again when she became a missionary

throughout history saints are often plagued with spiritual, emotional and physical upheaval......i think that really does typify saints...also a reason that saints are often beatified and recognised posthumously ..their work is not often in the public eye and done very humbly......deb

What exactly is dream / sleep yoga ? Haven’t heard of that before. The night experiences after mostly seemed to be positive. Felt more like a release - with kind of an intense feeling that would rise up and pass and then leave me feeling very calm and peaceful.

Actually, I've just come across dream yoga recently; so far I've just got book-knowledge:

(1) The Tibetan Yogas of Dream and Sleep. (2) In 'The Six Yogas of Naropa', it's covered in Section 2. (3) Secret Teachings of Padmasambhava: Essential Instructions on Mastering the Energies of Life. This one, along with (4) The Metaphysics of the Upanishads, is, I think (some of) what Jesus knew. :).

I managed to find all of those for free PDF download. If you have any difficulties, feel free to PM me.

• Like 1
todreaminblue

jesus i believe with my whole heart was and is the greatest spiritual leader on earth every blessing every good deed everything wonderful right and just was done in and for the service of god....jesus never collected money for good ...he simply did good because he could and god wanted him too..... for the son wanted to glorify his father above and eh wanted to show love that god and his own unconditional love they both have for all man.........to give hope to those who needed hope to heal those that were sick and hopeless....and even if gurus or saints collected money on blessings given to donate to charity even though it is a wonderful thing to do...they then are in the service of man...and cash

if a person can bless someone or heal someone he/she is already doing a good work to bless and serve fellow men what about people who cant afford to give any money ....they then go without hope because of an empty wallet..........i believe that blessings should be cashless to be true and right to do....deb

Edited by todreaminblue
  • Like 1
  • Author
Justanaverageguy
jesus i believe with my whole heart was and is the greatest spiritual leader on earth every blessing every good deed everything wonderful right and just was done in and for the service of god....jesus never collected money for good ...he simply did good because he could and god wanted him too.....

Yes I agree :) but in saying that Jesus could also manifest money out of thin air which he did on a number of occasions and also feed the hungry by turning a few loaves and fishes into enough food to feed thousands. So his greatness gave him somewhat of an advantage when it came to helping the needy :D He didn't need to ask others for their support for a good cause. Lets agree that currently no person or spiritual leader on earth can come close to his powers - how then do we\they feed the poor and help the needy ?

I kind of feel like everything in the bible including Jesus own life is also a metaphor - including multiplying the loaves and fishes. Ask and you shall receive. If you're supporting a good cause and have put your own money towards it but need more - ask. The lord shall multiply what you have in order for you to achieve that goal. Rather then manifesting out of thin air - often it may come from donations and support from others (which does often shock you at how quickly and abundantly it appears). Jesus championed against love of material wealth - but not putting what we have earned to good use for a higher purpose.

if a person can bless someone or heal someone he/she is already doing a good work to bless and serve fellow men what about people who cant afford to give any money ....they then go without hope because of an empty wallet..........i believe that blessings should be cashless to be true and right to do

Yes I totally agree on that. The lady I saw Amma offers her blessing for free. There is no charges or anything like that. She ran 3 day event where everything was 100% free aside from the food - which was very cheap.

But as she has grown and people began to follow her there is obviously a desire to know more about her so they had a stand with books and cds and pictures and other things people can buy and they also ask for donations to support her foundation Amma org - but there is no obligation to buy or donate anything. The event was 100% free as are all of her blessings. The whole tour she did through Europe was mostly powered by volunteers. Like I mentioned all the cooks, ushers, assistants, organizers were volunteers some of whom I talked to in the kitchen - were Europeans who claimed having received her blessing and have it transform their lives they now take time off work and follow her every year on her European tour to volunteer and donate their time and help run her service. Kind of inspiring :)

• Like 1
  • Author
Justanaverageguy
Actually, I've just come across dream yoga recently; so far I've just got book-knowledge:

(1) The Tibetan Yogas of Dream and Sleep. (2) In 'The Six Yogas of Naropa', it's covered in Section 2. (3) Secret Teachings of Padmasambhava: Essential Instructions on Mastering the Energies of Life. This one, along with (4) The Metaphysics of the Upanishads, is, I think (some of) what Jesus knew. :).

I managed to find all of those for free PDF download. If you have any difficulties, feel free to PM me.

Ok great thanks - I'll look into them and let you know if I have any trouble finding them. :)

todreaminblue
Yes I agree :) but in saying that Jesus could also manifest money out of thin air which he did on a number of occasions and also feed the hungry by turning a few loaves and fishes into enough food to feed thousands. So his greatness gave him somewhat of an advantage when it came to helping the needy :D He didn't need to ask others for their support for a good cause. Lets agree that currently no person or spiritual leader on earth can come close to his powers - how then do we\they feed the poor and help the needy ?

I kind of feel like everything in the bible including Jesus own life is also a metaphor - including multiplying the loaves and fishes. Ask and you shall receive. If you're supporting a good cause and have put your own money towards it but need more - ask. The lord shall multiply what you have in order for you to achieve that goal. Rather then manifesting out of thin air - often it may come from donations and support from others (which does often shock you at how quickly and abundantly it appears). Jesus championed against love of material wealth - but not putting what we have earned to good use for a higher purpose.

Yes I totally agree on that. The lady I saw Amma offers her blessing for free. There is no charges or anything like that. She ran 3 day event where everything was 100% free aside from the food - which was very cheap.

But as she has grown and people began to follow her there is obviously a desire to know more about her so they had a stand with books and cds and pictures and other things people can buy and they also ask for donations to support her foundation Amma org - but there is no obligation to buy or donate anything. The event was 100% free as are all of her blessings. The whole tour she did through Europe was mostly powered by volunteers. Like I mentioned all the cooks, ushers, assistants, organizers were volunteers some of whom I talked to in the kitchen - were Europeans who claimed having received her blessing and have it transform their lives they now take time off work and follow her every year on her European tour to volunteer and donate their time and help run her service. Kind of inspiring :)

thanks for writing more about amma i am glad to read her blessings are free..what you have written is inspiring about her....

.i feel it is so wrong when only the rich ....are privy to something that should be given freely.....hope should never have a price tag...and wealth/money can so easily twist a persons heart to ugliness.......you have posted thoughtfully and i have enjoyed reading your posts here ...

your posts gave me smiles....and its something i need to do more often .smile that is......so thanks ....heres one for you...:0)....deb

• Like 1
  • Author
Justanaverageguy
thanks for writing more about amma i am glad to read her blessings are free..what you have written is inspiring about her....

.i feel it is so wrong when only the rich ....are privy to something that should be given freely.....hope should never have a price tag...and wealth/money can so easily twist a persons heart to ugliness.......you have posted thoughtfully and i have enjoyed reading your posts here ...

your posts gave me smiles....and its something i need to do more often .smile that is......so thanks ....heres one for you...:0)....deb

Oh wow - and now you have made me smile :D Its contagious :D:D Definitely something we all need to do more. Also totally agree with your sentiments!

• Like 1
When I stepped on the stage - booom. It was like hit a wall of energy. ... absorbing what ever it was that was going on there. ... I've been buzzing

Kind of like tuning forks and wireless energy transfer - when 2 tuning forks frequency match the energy from one can be passed to the other. He was "in tune" with God - the universal divine energy

Thanks for that link (from your other post.) Given that, in this thread, you’ve introduced experiencing the frequencies of vibrations of Divine Energy, I thought it best to bring this portion of our conversation over here and not potentially highjack BC1980’s thread.

I’m also very interested in learning more about sound vibration – particularly the principles behind how Sacred Mantras actually act upon Matter. In one of the esoteric Bhuddist texts, it talks about a group of monks chanting and thus being able to levitate huge boulders or concrete blocks, possibly to build a temple on a mountain ledge or outcrop. (The specifics escape me, but that’s the gist of it: sound vibrations to levitate.) And then there’s also the Biblical account of sound being used to take down the walls of Jericho. So, then one also has to reconsider how the pyramids were built – I used to believe inter-planetary travel, but I no longer believe that to be a reality for Earth. (NOW look at what you’ve started! :))

Last weekend I had a different type of experience of being affected by Higher Energies. I’d spent about 6 or 8 hours listening to an audio-only recording of an Ascended Master conference that took place in June of this year, and wouldn’t you know it but I ended up feeling the same ‘buzzing-Energy high’ that lasted through to the next day – it took me a while to figure-out the source, because I wouldna thunk it could happen through just listening, and not even live. (The miracles of sound vibration!)

Then, in another recording, one of the Masters mentioned about new scientific research into ‘the zero-point field’ which I’d never even heard about before, but which greatly fascinates the quantum physicist in me...because I just get the sense that there’s important information about how the Spiritual realm – or rather, how the Energies and vibrations of the Spiritual-Divine realms interact with those of the material world of form. Which, I think, is how we can have the kinds of Energy-experiences that we’re talking about. I get that our chakras act as ‘antennae’ to both ‘receive’ and ‘broadcast/transmit’...but that’s about all I know right now. :).

And don’t even get me started on how to transcend time, as Jesus did, to effect instant healing, instant multiplying, etc. Or, do we need to transcend time and space simultaneously??? :confused: :confused: :confused:.