LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Spirituality & Religious Beliefs

Agnostic Anyone?

Spirituality & Religious Beliefs Contemplate your place and purpose in the universe.

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th July 2017, 9:08 AM   #31

Quote:
Agnosticism does not mean 'I'm fifty-fifty on whether or not there's a god'.
To say 'I am agnostic (to the existence of a god)' is to say 'No one can know (whether or not there's a god)'.
This is what I meant. You said it much better. Honestly, none of us can know for sure there is a god...or that there ISN'T a god. So to say "I am 100% certain there is no god" is actually the same as saying "I am 100% certain there is a god". philosophically speaking.

Illogical is probably the wrong word.
knabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2017, 12:14 PM   #32
Established Member

I'm an agnostic in a state that is very conservative and religious. I operate under "bar rules" with people; I don't discuss religion or politics with most people. Yes, I get annoyed with certain current social aspects of organized religion but I keep those opinions to myself and avoid those folks that rant and rave about it. I quietly walked out of a room last week because someone was on a rampage about our "Godless country".

My beliefs have been questioned in the past but it is because many people don't know the difference between an agnostic and an atheist. They ask and I keep it simple; "I believe in something greater than myself." That is good enough for most folks as they assume that I am referring to "God". Only the super religious get turned off by it but I avoid contact with them anyway.

My beliefs have rarely been an issue for me but that is because actions speak louder than words. I treat people with respect, take a selfless approach to life, and help people out whenever I can. I'm a teacher and a coach and volunteer much of my extra time for kids and community events. That goes a long way towards keeping the religious right at bay around here.
OatsAndHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2017, 12:57 PM   #33
Established Member

I was raised in France, which is a proudly secular country, and I'm a happy agnostic. I have friends from various religious backgrounds but I've found that the people I get on the most with are fellow agnostic, or at least people who question their faiths and are open-minded about other faiths too.

I try to reference it quickly when I meet new people because I don't tend to get along with those who have entrenched views on religion, especially those who are prejudiced against religions that aren't their own.
littleblackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2017, 8:48 PM   #34
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knabe View Post
So to say "I am 100% certain there is no god" is actually the same as saying "I am 100% certain there is a god". philosophically speaking.
I disagree. Do you believe that the two scenarios
  1. There is a god
  2. There is no god

are equally likely? The way I see it from the problem of evil alone we can be certain that at the very least all the abrahamitic religions got it wrong.

If we're talking about a deistic worldview, which states that there's some sort of god but after creation he basically left, then I guess we could be fifty-fifty about it. It's like saying we live in a matrix or in a simulation. It's not a claim that can be falsified.

Saying "There is no god" makes no assumption on the world. We haven't encountered anything that needs a god to explain it. A god could explain certain things, a devil could explain even more things.
Old 28th July 2017, 9:01 PM   #35
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umirano View Post
Most people misuse the word 'agnostic'.

Agnosticism does not mean 'I'm fifty-fifty on whether or not there's a god'.
To say 'I am agnostic (to the existence of a god)' is to say 'No one can know (whether or not there's a god)'.
This for me I usually say agnostic instead of atheist.

I do not subscribe to the notion that there is a "god".

But I do acknowledge that at this point of human understanding there are unexplainable things... So perhaps there is a power, an another dimension, SOMETHING which us humans do not yet understand

I don't believe in a "god" but to quote Rumsfeld, "there are known unknowns".

Until those unknowns are explained through EVIDENCE, I will be an agnostic rather than an atheist.
RecentChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2017, 3:35 AM   #36
Established Member

Atheists are agnostic. Show me one atheist who says he knows there's no god. I'm probably the most gnostic atheist. I am sure that the abrahamitic religions have no bearing on reality. Atheists (obviously) don't claim to be able to prove the universal non-existence of every god that humanity came up with so far, which would be the equivalent of saying god's non-existence can be known.

So it seems that you are an agnostic theist. Unsurprisingly most people - most believers - are agnostic in the true sense of the word.

I also acknowledge that there are things we don't understand yet. I don't, however, jump to the conclusion that a god, or even some abstract super natural force, must be the explanation for them. I see no problem with saying 'I don't know '.
umirano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2017, 11:48 AM   #37
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umirano View Post
I see no problem with saying 'I don't know '.
I'll go one further. I have no problem saying 'I don't care'; that's what the definition of an agnostic is, for me.

There may be a god, there may be 12 of them, there may not be, I don't really care. I may find out on my deathbed, by which point it'll be too late and I don't want to waste the time I have in the one life I have to worry about things that may or may not be there.

I try to treat others as I want to be treated; that's my religion.
littleblackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2017, 12:31 PM   #38

Is god willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him god?

- Epicurus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBsA2ETp7JA
Bastile is offline   Reply With Quote