LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Spirituality & Religious Beliefs

Being selfish

Spirituality & Religious Beliefs Contemplate your place and purpose in the universe.

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th June 2017, 9:33 AM   #46
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by todreaminblue View Post
you know when i have a really bad time i wonder why i am copping so many knocks .....thinking i am cursed ......thinking just kill me already or let me kill myself.....i can not take all this...at once...spread it out a little.....god help me......
and i go down deep to search for hope and strength....because i try so hard to be good.....i try to be more forgiving more gentle more lenient to those who hurt me...i try to help those who would step all over me...... and i just keep copping it.....so that luke verse ..among others...confuses me a little....

and then i stop....and i try to center myself.go deeper..and i get a warm feeling that radiates from my chest(actually my chest)..its also where i feel emotional pain...and i know ...i am doing my best by god and by others...i am keeping convenants no matter how hard they are to keep........no matter how hellish my life gets..and it is often hellish..its not god punishing me.....at all......i cant believe that....i will not believe that..deb
So not all things in life are "punishment" we reap what we sow applies to more then just sin. Our thoughts create our reality and this is where in my humble opinion the Christian faith falls short of teaching it's followers.

Its very true that of you do bad to others - it will eventually come back to you ..... But our energy, thoughts and behaviours manifests everything. It's not actually enough just to be nice - you must have faith to call forth those things that are not as though they were. Belief not just in a heavenly power - but your own power to recreate your life in a positive way. To feel worthy of happiness, to feel that you are blessed and highly favored - that good things flow to you.

The Christian faith is good at creating a moral character but unfortunately doesn't offer many tools to cultivate this positive abundant mindset. It tends to cultivate guilt and a feeling of unworthyness which runs counter to a happy life
Justanaverageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2017, 9:49 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by major_merrick View Post
Take this with a grain of salt, since I'm not the most religious person around....

If you are of the Christian persuasion, I remember this verse from Romans 6... "What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? By no means! We are those who have died to sin; how can we live in it any longer?"

I also remember something from Romans 7... "For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing."

I think the point of this is that while you want to do right, you also want to do wrong. It's like you have two natures. And sometimes the bad nature wins, so you have to comfort yourself with the knowledge that you are already forgiven and can try again. But if you have the will (or the help) to avoid doing the wrong thing, you ought to choose the right thing to do. But being forgiven isn't ever a good reason to do the wrong thing, just because you can.
Wow, for someone who is not very religious, you have a better grasp of this than a lot of Christians I know. You really do
knabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2017, 9:54 AM   #48

I think the idea of if/then and sin/punishment can be taken too far.

I had cancer. Did God make me have cancer, did he punish me with cancer, or did he grow me and mold me through cancer?

I might not know the definitive answer, but I know I have some control in which answer I choose. I could have said, "God is mean and not real" and decided he made me sick and grow in that direction. Or I could have said, "I'm not sure why God allowed this, but I am going to lean on Him and grow from this in to a stronger, better, more colmpassionate person...and if I don't survive it, I'll be with Him."

I chose the latter. Now mind you, I wasn;t perfect. I still whined plenty to God There's a passage in the Bible where the disciples and Jesus encounter a blind man. They ask Him, "Whose sin caused this man to be blind, his or his parents?" Jesus said neither. God allowed it so that He might be glorified and they might believe.

I have 2 friends. Both of them have grown kids who developed a life threatening heart problem as a child. Both of them were Christians at the time. One person cried out to God for help and strength, will tell you that God helped their family through it, and give God the glory for using the doctors and surgeons to help their son, and they thank God that their son is alive today and thriving as a young professional. The other friend is an atheist because God made his son sick.

Perspective can be everything.

How does this realte? Well, just like we cannot assume that "God will forgive us" is an excuse to sin, we cannot assume that every bad thing is BECAUSE we sinned. Both ideas are very simplistic.
knabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2017, 6:14 PM   #49
Established Member

Journal Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanaverageguy View Post
So not all things in life are "punishment" we reap what we sow applies to more then just sin. Our thoughts create our reality and this is where in my humble opinion the Christian faith falls short of teaching it's followers.

Its very true that of you do bad to others - it will eventually come back to you ..... But our energy, thoughts and behaviours manifests everything. It's not actually enough just to be nice - you must have faith to call forth those things that are not as though they were. Belief not just in a heavenly power - but your own power to recreate your life in a positive way. To feel worthy of happiness, to feel that you are blessed and highly favored - that good things flow to you.

The Christian faith is good at creating a moral character but unfortunately doesn't offer many tools to cultivate this positive abundant mindset. It tends to cultivate guilt and a feeling of unworthyness which runs counter to a happy life
its hard to feel blessed sometimes though isnt it..especially when it feels like demons have your home number on speed dial.....ready to mess up any efforts you make to climb out of the dark

.i do have a positive mindset.....when it gets working.....sometimes however it fails.....i think i need god most when it does fail it is when i am blind to see the steps forward to happiness when the dark ....is longer than i have had before....when my faith is tested the most....is not when i feel blessed......

i am tired,overwhelmed and sick, so excuse my misery posts.........i will try to put my hope and trust i have that god wants me to make it..my family to make it.......and i will keep climbing...this too shall pass.....it always does....pass.....deb

Last edited by todreaminblue; 30th June 2017 at 6:18 PM..
todreaminblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2017, 10:51 PM   #50
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knabe View Post
Wow, for someone who is not very religious, you have a better grasp of this than a lot of Christians I know. You really do
I suspect that a lot of people are "too close to the forest to see the trees."

I think that a lot of the time, God is more hands-off than many devout Christians would like to admit. Part of it is that He wants to see how things turn out, and part of it has to do with free will. Which is an entirely different discussion.

Do your best. Try to do right. But if you don't get it right.... if you are Christian then you also believe that your good works aren't how you get to heaven. Rather, your good works flow FROM the fact that you have faith in someone else getting you there. Just examine your motivations.
knabe likes this.
Old 15th July 2017, 11:53 AM   #51
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aileD View Post
God is a forgiving god. I know this

But what if you do something you know you shouldn't do, but want to do it anyway because you know God will forgive you ?

Your screwed
sorry , couldn't resist.

But nah , l think that would make you human because the saint is a sinner to remember.
Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2017, 7:22 PM   #52
Established Member

Just my two cents .. people think of repentance as just apologizing. Christians are expected to repent which is apologizing for our sins and also turning away from our sin. I'm not saying God will not forgive an intentional sin... however how can you truly be remorseful when you're sinning with such recklessness? You're sinning because you know you're forgiven… That's way worse than sinning because you don't know your actions are sins... or sinning because you had an imperfect moment… You're taking God's forgiveness for granted… That's a slippery slope I don't think I would recommend that

Also the Bible says faith without works is dead. Walking away from your sin. would be a form of works… So if you're not doing that, I would question how strong is your faith?
knabe likes this.
somuchfortheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2017, 4:04 PM   #53
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aileD View Post
God is a forgiving god. I know this

But what if you do something you know you shouldn't do, but want to do it anyway because you know God will forgive you ?
Then you shouldn't do it! Never go against GOD as GOD is always watching us all!
Age doesn't matter, but Love does matter! Which love it's the magical one "I love you" also I am in love with you" More powerful than anyone age! If you really love that person you are so interested in you would move heavens and mountains to reach them!'
coolheadal is offline   Reply With Quote