LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Spirituality & Religious Beliefs

Being selfish


Spirituality & Religious Beliefs Contemplate your place and purpose in the universe.

Like Tree32Likes
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th June 2017, 2:23 PM   #16
Established Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileD View Post
I'm not talking about me.

I know I can divorce in a second and it would be acceptable because of everything he's done.

Just wondering if God really forgives you if....for example....you know you're not supposed to steal but you say "eh. I know I'm not supposed to but I really want this shirt badly and God will forgive me anyway so I'm gonna do it..,,then I get the shirt I want (selfish) but I'll be forgiven in the long run too "

If I was God I'd be like "yeah...no"

I'm new to the Bible and following religion so forgive me if I'm being stupid
Hebrews 10:26 says that we are not to continue in intentional sin.

26 If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, 27 but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God.

From Romans 6: 1-3

What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? 2 By no means! We are those who have died to sin; how can we live in it any longer? 3 Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death?

Same chapter of Romans:

15 What then? Shall we sin because we are not under the law but under grace? By no means! 16 Don’t you know that when you offer yourselves to someone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one you obey—whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness?

2 Peter 1: (emphasis mine...we have been forgiven of our PAST SINS)

3 His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. 4 Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature, having escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.

5 For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; 6 and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; 7 and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. 8 For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 But whoever does not have them is nearsighted and blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their past sins.

This is not to say we are never forgiven of our future sins. But I've quoted these scriptures together to point out that we are not to continue to use God's grace as a license to sin over and over, because we were given it to be forgiven of our past sins, as well as to be forgiven of unintentional sin...not ongoing, deliberate sin...over and over and over.
Southern Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2017, 5:07 PM   #17
Established Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,597
Journal Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastile View Post
The more secure you become in your own belief system, the less you will attempt to belittle others.
I'm wonderful with my belief system. You did not understand my message. But that is ok. We do not need to continue a dialogue.
bluefeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2017, 9:44 AM   #18
Established Member
 
mercy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,730
AileD, what do you think about this?

Once Saved, Always Saved
__________________
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.
mercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2017, 1:43 PM   #19
Established Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,597
Journal Entries: 2
I think a question like this can go on for a long time with different opinions, because it seems like the god of that religion has gone through changes. He seemed very punishing at first, with plagues and other disasters, then later He created a son with a forgiveness system through him. And there are branches that follow certain parts of the bible almost literally, and then there are others that are more liberal with the meanings.
bluefeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2017, 8:41 PM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Sun View Post
Hebrews 10:26 says that we are not to continue in intentional sin.

26 If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, 27 but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God.

From Romans 6: 1-3

What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? 2 By no means! We are those who have died to sin; how can we live in it any longer? 3 Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death?

Same chapter of Romans:

15 What then? Shall we sin because we are not under the law but under grace? By no means! 16 Don’t you know that when you offer yourselves to someone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one you obey—whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness?

2 Peter 1: (emphasis mine...we have been forgiven of our PAST SINS)

3 His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. 4 Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature, having escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.

5 For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; 6 and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; 7 and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. 8 For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 But whoever does not have them is nearsighted and blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their past sins.

This is not to say we are never forgiven of our future sins. But I've quoted these scriptures together to point out that we are not to continue to use God's grace as a license to sin over and over, because we were given it to be forgiven of our past sins, as well as to be forgiven of unintentional sin...not ongoing, deliberate sin...over and over and over.

His is excellent. THANK YOU
aileD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2017, 8:49 PM   #21
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
AileD, what do you think about this?

Once Saved, Always Saved

Thanks for posting. This part helped me:



"A person who willingly, humbly, repents of sin and turns towards the cross, trusting Christ as their Savior, will be saved (Acts 16:31; John 6:37; John 14:6). That salvation is once and for all, eternal, and secure. Those who truly trust in Christ are saved once, and saved always."

There no humbleness in repenting sin when you intend to do that sin again.
knabe likes this.
aileD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2017, 8:58 PM   #22
Established Member
 
todreaminblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: down under
Posts: 14,081
Journal Entries: 2
I believe that god is a loving god and that he is forgiving beyond comprehension go dis forgiving.....we killed his son yet he loves us still,he gave his son knowing we would kill that son....and that needed to be done because we sin.....but....just as much as god is love god is in perfect balance with justice.....and somewhere between love and justice is mercy for the truly repentant.....its scales and i guess its up to us how we tip those scales..in the end...we choose.....what we get and what we receive......its actually up to us...if we get forgiven or not...true remorse....will do that..theres also a difference between weakness illness and sinning....gods knows hearts to every level...minds hearts body and spirit god knows us.....i find comfort in that when i fail...to live up to what i know he wants from me....he gives me...hope....always...always hope that ill do the right thing and that he will always forgive me..and has forgiven me...when i have failed...and sinned....i dont want to sin......he knows that..deb
__________________
in the ache of night,luminous prayers take fragile flight,
somewhere between battalions of warring sins,
there exists hope and love for peace begins...deb
todreaminblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2017, 9:35 PM   #23
Established Member
 
simpleNfit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Where the snow is better than in Colorado!
Posts: 2,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileD View Post
Thanks for posting. This part helped me:



"A person who willingly, humbly, repents of sin and turns towards the cross, trusting Christ as their Savior, will be saved (Acts 16:31; John 6:37; John 14:6). That salvation is once and for all, eternal, and secure. Those who truly trust in Christ are saved once, and saved always."

There no humbleness in repenting sin when you intend to do that sin again.
So, if someone is 'saved' commits intentional sin ONCE is he/she still saved? I ask as 'christians' are notorious for defining what is a sin and what is not. It becomes even more ambiguous when 'christians' place weight on different forms of sins and let's not even get started when they arbitrarily define what is and what is not sinful. The christian-right, the evangelicals here in the USA are especially notorious for this.
__________________
...love being a father!

Last edited by simpleNfit; 18th June 2017 at 9:38 PM..
simpleNfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 9:06 AM   #24
Established Member
 
mercy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileD View Post
Thanks for posting. This part helped me:



"A person who willingly, humbly, repents of sin and turns towards the cross, trusting Christ as their Savior, will be saved (Acts 16:31; John 6:37; John 14:6). That salvation is once and for all, eternal, and secure. Those who truly trust in Christ are saved once, and saved always."

There no humbleness in repenting sin when you intend to do that sin again.
Sadly, I think some pretend to be Christians.
mercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 9:14 AM   #25
Established Member
 
todreaminblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: down under
Posts: 14,081
Journal Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleNfit View Post
Love this. Sounds obvious doesn't it? You'd be hard pressed to find many 'christians' who would take any responsibility for this. "Am I my brother's keeper?" Well, yes! But so many religious compartmentalize their faith so that they separate what THEY believe is moral imperative and engage in activity or support ideas/people that are or who embrace beliefs that are in direct opposition to their 'professed beliefs.'
Quote:
so many religious compartmentalize their faith so that they separate what THEY believe is moral imperative and engage in activity or support ideas/people that are or who embrace beliefs that are in direct opposition to their 'professed beliefs.'

theres also acceptance of differences.....what might be in total opposition to your beliefs ...deosnt make that person less of a person...a person who engages in things you dont agree with or condone....or you believe is wrong in a spiritual sense.....still has a right to be respected..my youngest daughter is gay.....i dotn want her to be....she is ...

i talk to her about her love life..i meet her love interests her friends ....who call em mum too.......i am my daughters mum....she is a gorgeous stunnign young woman with a heart of gold.....she knows that i do not agree with homosexuality....but i accept now my daughter....my daughter is gay........she knows how i feel that i pushed and pushed her pleaded with her to see it as a stage....and i pray every night.....dso i support my daughter...yes i do.....i dont agree with her ...but i support and accept my daughter...as a christian mother should....it took me a while to face facts......i will nto leave her by the way.....because we dont have the same beliefs and they are direct opposite..am i disappointed...yes.....but i would not say that to her..i smile instead and tell her i love her/....every day...deb
knabe likes this.
todreaminblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 9:18 AM   #26
Established Member
 
mercy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleNfit View Post
But so many religious compartmentalize their faith so that they separate what THEY believe is moral imperative and engage in activity or support ideas/people that are or who embrace beliefs that are in direct opposition to their 'professed beliefs.'
I believe that was AileD's point. The hypocrisy of it all. Saying you're one thing and doing another.

Believer/non-believer, we all know right from wrong. It really is that simple and not that complicated at all.

If you're hurting someone, stop it.

For AileD - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt5X91ciE6Y

Last edited by mercy; 19th June 2017 at 9:27 AM..
mercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 11:26 AM   #27
Established Member
 
simpleNfit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Where the snow is better than in Colorado!
Posts: 2,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
Sadly, I think some pretend to be Christians.
I will say many...and depending on which end of the political spectrum one places themselves, this pretense is more or less.
simpleNfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 11:28 AM   #28
Established Member
 
simpleNfit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Where the snow is better than in Colorado!
Posts: 2,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
I believe that was AileD's point. The hypocrisy of it all. Saying you're one thing and doing another.

Believer/non-believer, we all know right from wrong. It really is that simple and not that complicated at all.

If you're hurting someone, stop it.

For AileD - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt5X91ciE6Y
Yup. I can't get over those believers who will claim innocence simply b/c they were not the ones DIRECTLY involved in the sinful act, but supported those they knew would be.
simpleNfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 4:56 PM   #29
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 1,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileD View Post
Thanks for posting. This part helped me:



"A person who willingly, humbly, repents of sin and turns towards the cross, trusting Christ as their Savior, will be saved (Acts 16:31; John 6:37; John 14:6). That salvation is once and for all, eternal, and secure. Those who truly trust in Christ are saved once, and saved always."

There no humbleness in repenting sin when you intend to do that sin again.
Repentance is more than being sorry. That is where most people stumble. Repentance literally mean a change of direction. A 180 degree turn. If you continue going in the same direction, you haven't repented.

I love the story of the Sunday School teacher who asked, "What does it mean to repent?"

One child answered, "To be sorry for your sins."

"How sorry?" the teacher asked.

"Sorry enough to cry," a second child replied.

"Is that all?" the teacher asked.

"Sorry enough to stop," the third child replied.

The third child was right.

When we sin thinking we'll just use our "get out of jail free" forgiveness card, we really don't get it at all, IMO.
aileD likes this.
knabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 7:17 PM   #30
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by knabe View Post
Repentance is more than being sorry. That is where most people stumble. Repentance literally mean a change of direction. A 180 degree turn. If you continue going in the same direction, you haven't repented.

I love the story of the Sunday School teacher who asked, "What does it mean to repent?"

One child answered, "To be sorry for your sins."

"How sorry?" the teacher asked.

"Sorry enough to cry," a second child replied.

"Is that all?" the teacher asked.

"Sorry enough to stop," the third child replied.

The third child was right.

When we sin thinking we'll just use our "get out of jail free" forgiveness card, we really don't get it at all, IMO.

Love that story
aileD is offline   Reply With Quote
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

 

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Boyfriend keeps calling me selfish, am I selfish? ccxc910 Dating 23 15th September 2016 12:05 PM
Am I being selfish? Lina114 General Relationship Discussion 13 4th November 2013 6:27 PM
Is she being selfish?!! mrbeantown Breaks and Breaking Up 10 17th November 2006 5:32 PM
Very selfish Guest The Other Man / Woman 33 17th November 2006 3:14 PM
Selfish Boyfriend - what is your definition of selfish? radhattr Breaks and Breaking Up 4 27th May 2005 11:18 PM

 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:36 AM.

Please note: The suggestions and advice offered on this web site are opinions only and are not to be used in the place of professional psychological counseling or medical advice. If you or someone close to you is currently in crisis or in an emergency situation, contact your local law enforcement agency or emergency number.


Copyright © 1997-2013 LoveShack.org. All Rights Reserved.