LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Spirituality & Religious Beliefs

Being selfish

Spirituality & Religious Beliefs Contemplate your place and purpose in the universe.

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th June 2017, 10:18 PM   #1

Being selfish

God is a forgiving god. I know this

But what if you do something you know you shouldn't do, but want to do it anyway because you know God will forgive you ?
aileD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 12:11 AM   #2
Established Member

I believe all sin is intentional. Our path is to move closer to God, to seek Him. Intentional continual sin does the opposite.

A couple years ago h and I did a study on intentional sin, this blog was our favorite. I love when a study has scripture to back it up.

https://theosophical.wordpress.com/2...tentional-sin/
knabe likes this.
Old 16th June 2017, 1:14 AM   #3

That's an interesting article. I'm interested in this part especially

Quote:
While we should never turn Godís grace into a license to sin (Romans 6; Jude 4), His grace is available when we repent of our sin. We are on dangerous ground if we find ourselves planning both our sin and our repentance. Something is amiss in our Christian life if we are relying on Godís grace to cover intentional sin rather than allowing His grace to lead us to greater levels of holiness (Romans 6:14; Titus 2:11-12).
Counting on gods grace as a license to sin. If you chose to do it, then are you really truly sorry? Eh.
Old 16th June 2017, 6:25 AM   #4
Established Member

Journal Entries: 2
Which god are you talking about?
bluefeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 7:33 AM   #5
Established Member

i dont know if its selfish or just stupid....consequences.....god does forgive...but he also knows our true hearts....and remorse is there or it isnt....

if it isnt....he wont be lenient.....he knows our weaknesses and all things will be justified in what he does...there is no one fairer or more understanding of all than god....also ...no being firmer than god on sin or keen for justice....he gave his son ..to show his love for sinners...we must show love for his son.....by renouncing sin.....and to be more like his son...and worthy....of gods love..feeling worthy is really hard even when i am good and doing good and being good..still dont feel worthy probably never will........probably the hardest thing to feel...

feeling remorse......easier.....for me.....i just try to do the right thing....even when i feel god hates me ...like now..maybe its my consequence because i struggle to give up smoking being an ex hooker.......i feel bad anyway...........deb
todreaminblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 8:09 AM   #6
Established Member

AD,

Quote:
and I agree....

Quote:
But what if you do something you know you shouldn't do, but want to do it anyway because you know God will forgive you ?
.....then you are being rather presumptive ...

Hebrews 10;26 (KJV) says;

Quote:
For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
The whole forgiveness of sins concet is based around a sinner being sorry and trying to do better. As long as the sinner (and that's you and me as well as the rest of humanity) owns what they did and is truly sorry then God's forgiveness is available.

So I think you're pushing the envelope a bit there.

Maybe you should talk to a minister of religion about this?
Arieswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 11:47 AM   #7
Established Member

Your title is "Being selfish." Is what you're contemplating really a sin?
Southern Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 11:51 AM   #8
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aileD View Post

You get the divorce anyway. God doesn't want you to suffer.

Do speak to your minister / priest.
d0nnivain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 12:30 PM   #9
Established Member

If it's divorce, aileD, even MY church (basically an Acts church), believes that it is acceptable for betrayed spouses of infidelity. They certainly encourage forgiveness where possible, but if there is just too much hurt, and certainly if a wayward spouse continues to act in egregious ways, you are absolved. You are doing nothing wrong. Ten commandments. And Jesus did not come to abolish the law, "but to fulfill them." Matthew 5:17.
Southern Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 9:40 PM   #10

I'm not talking about me.

I know I can divorce in a second and it would be acceptable because of everything he's done.

Just wondering if God really forgives you if....for example....you know you're not supposed to steal but you say "eh. I know I'm not supposed to but I really want this shirt badly and God will forgive me anyway so I'm gonna do it..,,then I get the shirt I want (selfish) but I'll be forgiven in the long run too "

If I was God I'd be like "yeah...no"

I'm new to the Bible and following religion so forgive me if I'm being stupid
Old 16th June 2017, 10:28 PM   #11
Established Member

That's between them and their God. It doesn't matter what you think your God should do. We are human. We aren't gods.

You can hope and believe the cost of a shirt or a loaf of bread is worthy of eternal damnation all you want.

In a perfect world someone would ask for the shirt...or loaf of bread.

And, in a perfect world, the request would be granted.

Who God forgives or doesn't has nothing to do with us..
MuddyFootprints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 10:39 PM   #12
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aileD View Post
forgive me if I'm being stupid
Ok, I forgive you.

I can see without you responding to my post, since you mentioned the bible, that you are referring to the god of Christianity. Must you be afraid of something in order to be good? If you must, I think you're doing it wrong.

Peace.
bluefeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2017, 6:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefeather View Post
Ok, I forgive you.

I can see without you responding to my post, since you mentioned the bible, that you are referring to the god of Christianity. Must you be afraid of something in order to be good? If you must, I think you're doing it wrong.

Peace.
Like I said ----NOT ME.

And Yes, Christian God. I'm sorry I didn't see your post
Old 17th June 2017, 7:35 AM   #14
Established Member

AD,

Quote:
Just wondering if God really forgives you if....for example....you know you're not supposed to steal but you say "eh. I know I'm not supposed to but I really want this shirt badly and God will forgive me anyway so I'm gonna do it..,,then I get the shirt I want (selfish) but I'll be forgiven in the long run too "
Errr, no, you won't necessarily be forgiven.

See my previous response.

I don't know what church you go to but as I understand it from my church (Traditional Anglican) God is ready to forgive all those who are truly repentant.

Just going ahead and doing whatever you want to do and assuming you'll be forgiven is, IMO, arrogant beyond words.

This is the challenge of being a Christian in a secular world. There are so many temptations. We try very hard to "do the right thing" but our nature lets us down. As long as we try and acknowledge our failings we have forgiveness.

We are told quite clearly "Thou shalt not steal". So anyone who goes against that knowingly will have to answer for their choice eventually.
knabe likes this.
Arieswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2017, 9:17 AM   #15

Quote:
Which god are you talking about?
Quote:
Ok, I forgive you.

Peace.
The more secure you become in your own belief system, the less you will attempt to belittle others.

To the topic, I'm an atheist for disclosure, but I can't see how you can be good to others if you aren't being good to yourself.

Strong boundaries are very important.

Consider the person with "nice guy syndrome" who puts everyone else's needs above their own. Would you consider that a stable healthy way to exist?
knabe likes this.
Bastile is offline   Reply With Quote