doing it for god?

I read an excuse for cheating, and it really puzzles me.

The view that was expressed was along the lines of an affair being okay because god sent the ow/om to the mm/mw.

To me, that makes zero sense. Isn't one of the biblical commandments " thous shalt not commit adultery"? How can someone believe that, yet believe god would want them to risk their eternal soul by cheating?

I think that's nonsense, but I'm agnostic so what the hell do I know?:laugh:

Isn't one of the biblical commandments " thous shalt not commit adultery"?:laugh:

Spiritual adultery falls under the Laws of God -- infidelity to God's Will and God's Laws; people have used that to create a 'law of man', that they've related to relationships between human Beings on Earth.

Different levels of meaning to almost all - if not all - religious teachings; to account for the different levels of consciousness held by individuals and in the mass consciousness.

• Like 1
I read an excuse for cheating, and it really puzzles me.

The view that was expressed was along the lines of an affair being okay because god sent the ow/om to the mm/mw.

To me, that makes zero sense. Isn't one of the biblical commandments " thous shalt not commit adultery"? How can someone believe that, yet believe god would want them to risk their eternal soul by cheating?

I think that's nonsense, but I'm agnostic so what the hell do I know?:laugh:

because god sent the ow/om to the mm/mw -- That is an attempt to rationalize and place the "blame" on God for their "sin". However, it's misplaced -- temptations like adultery are delivered by Lucifer . . .

yet believe god would want them to risk their eternal soul by cheating? -- They aren't thinking about God, their families, their spouses/girlfriends, etc. -- they are only thinking about THEMSELVES and immediate gratification. They are not allowing themselves to see beyond the here and now, dissociating themselves from what may be their reality some day.

• Like 2
  • Author
because god sent the ow/om to the mm/mw -- That is an attempt to rationalize and place the "blame" on God for their "sin". However, it's misplaced -- temptations like adultery are delivered by Lucifer . . .

yet believe god would want them to risk their eternal soul by cheating? -- They aren't thinking about God, their families, their spouses/girlfriends, etc. -- they are only thinking about THEMSELVES and immediate gratification. They are not allowing themselves to see beyond the here and now, dissociating themselves from what may be their reality some day.

Personally, I think it speaks more to humans being flawed than it does god or the devil.

Mind you, in my limited experience with religion, most have been based on common sense and have some good points to make.

OP- that's the flesh in operation. If I had a dollar for every time I swore 'it was God' I'd have a few dollars.

• Like 1

You are attempting to reconcile logic with irrational beliefs - it's a losing battle!

If someone says something happened because "God wanted it" there is no refuting it. Facts, logic, reason do not hold up to "God told them".

• Like 2

It's just an excuse or a rationalization they make for themselves to make the afffair "ok"

To be honest, we have recently found God again after this affair. Now I don't think that people who say this reallylive a religious life. Sure they might have grown up catholic, or Christian, but maybe they only go to church on holidays and for weddings. They don't really have a relationship with god anymore. **** hapoens and they feel something strong in their heart (that "affair limerence") and attribute it to this idea of God because it makes them feel justified in cheating

Becoming recently closer to God myself, there is no way someone close to God would think it's ok to cheat ot use him as an excuse. Marriage is a scared covenant

• Like 1
T-16bullseyeWompRat
What, you think all the Gods' commandments are the same? What if I worship Pan?

Ah yes the god of the wild. Certainly a worthy god to worship. I too love the wild places of the world. Remote locations with no humans other then myself within 50 miles. I'm alone with Pan and I become one with the wild. At least for a couple days and nights. Great god that Pan. I'm more of a Dionysus guy myself though. Those two actually have a good deal in common in lots of aspects. But I mean he's the wine god, so he takes first spot for me personally.

To answer the OP, think of the number of people murdered and raped and pillaged in the name of God in the history of the world. Still going on to this day. Tis the religious way of things.

• Like 1
Personally, I think it speaks more to humans being flawed than it does god or the devil.

This is it, precisely. And, as (you?) said in the other thread, it comes down to how we use our free will -- Are we making decisions and choices that support, maintain or even exacerbate our flaws, or that have every potential to help us overcome/transcend them?

When we don't want to exercise self-control and self-discipline, then it's either God's fault - or the devil's. So sad. :laugh:.

To answer the OP, think of the number of people murdered and raped and pillaged in the name of God in the history of the world. Still going on to this day.

Tis the religious way of things.

Yes, that is, indeed, the way of the falsified and impure religions of this world.

It's no wonder at all that people, in droves, have chosen material science as their god and placed all their faith and belief in it.

todreaminblue
Ah yes the god of the wild. Certainly a worthy god to worship. I too love the wild places of the world. Remote locations with no humans other then myself within 50 miles. I'm alone with Pan and I become one with the wild. At least for a couple days and nights. Great god that Pan. I'm more of a Dionysus guy myself though. Those two actually have a good deal in common in lots of aspects. But I mean he's the wine god, so he takes first spot for me personally.

To answer the OP, think of the number of people murdered and raped and pillaged in the name of God in the history of the world. Still going on to this day. Tis the religious way of things.

many things are doen in gods name by men or women supposedly of god doesnt make them right.....or anywhere near to being OF GOD.........like the pastor who offered me money for a blow job when i was homeless and i wanted somewhere to sleep.....he was wearing robes at the time sitting in a room at an ornate church....the robes dont make him a man after gods own heart any more than the person who rapes pillages or plunders in the name of god.... i believe in the goodness of god not to be corruptible or to corrupt..men however..easily swayed....or women for that matter...nothing to do with god....at all.....more that natural man inside of us all....

T-16bullseyeWompRat
many things are doen in gods name by men or women supposedly of god doesnt make them right.....or anywhere near to being OF GOD.........like the pastor who offered me money for a blow job when i was homeless and i wanted somewhere to sleep.....he was wearing robes at the time sitting in a room at an ornate church....the robes dont make him a man after gods own heart any more than the person who rapes pillages or plunders in the name of god.... i believe in the goodness of god not to be corruptible or to corrupt..men however..easily swayed....or women for that matter...nothing to do with god....at all.....more that natural man inside of us all....

Read my post again. I didn't say anything bad about god, I said tis the religious way. Not the godly way. The thing is I don't have an issue with the idea of a higher power. I do take issue with organized religion. Religion is the biggest cause of murder and rape this world has ever known. Ever since the invention of religion (man's invention btw) it's been going on. Still going on in 2017. Forgive me if I see religion as nothing but a divider of people, an evil invention. If I believed in the a god and devil and that they actually care about our little planet and control things here, well I would have to look at religion and conclude it was the devil who created it. Not god.

• Author
What, you think all the Gods' commandments are the same? What if I worship Pan?

if someone claims to be christian and quotes scripture, there's a pretty fair chance they aren't worshiping pan.

• Author

Even those who don't believe in organized religion like to blameshift. They claim it's "it's in our genes" or "look at what other animals do".

I call bull on that. If we did everything our nature/dna/genes/ whatever programs us to do, the worlds would be a pretty nasty place. We obviously are not slaves to our genetics. We have free will and can think.

As Jerome Lawrence and Robert Edwin Lee pointed out in"Inherit the Wind", humans are really not all that well equipped for survival, except for our ability to think for ourselves and to not be slaves to our dna.

• Like 1
T-16bullseyeWompRat

As Jerome Lawrence and Robert Edwin Lee pointed out in"Inherit the Wind", humans are really not all that well equipped for survival, except for our ability to think for ourselves and to not be slaves to our dna.

Nonsense. Humans have all the tools necessary for survival. Our ability to problem solve is greater then every other animal on the planet, but that IS part of human DNA and the humans biggest strength in survival. That's why we are still around. Thriving greater then any other species. Certainly has nothing to do with denying our DNA. We are actually using our greatest strength. I can't kill many animals without tools to do so. But human DNA gave me the ability to problem solve, so I learned to build a deadfall trap, or a fishing line and hook. Or we learned agriculture instead of foraging. That isn't denying our DNA. That is called being a human. What utter nonsense to claim humans or poorly equipped for survival. We do it better then anything else on this planet.

• Like 1
If we did everything our nature/dna/genes/ whatever programs us to do, the worlds would be a pretty nasty place. We obviously are not slaves to our genetics. We have free will and can think.

Sadly, the world, in its current state and form, IS a pretty nasty place -- and it is, as you say, precisely because we - the self-aware sentient Beings of this planet -

- have free will and can think.

These three things are what make us uniquely well-equipped to not only survive on this planet, but also thrive, at all levels. (Humanity is not doing that very well at the moment, because we have not yet stopped denying, rejecting or misunderstanding and misusing our co-creative faculties and Powers.)

Certainly we are not designed or meant to be slaves to any forces or agents, not even our strictly-human nature and programming and not to our genetics/DNA, either.

if someone claims to be christian and quotes scripture, there's a pretty fair chance they aren't worshiping pan.

I can agree with that. I didn't know you were talking specifically about the Christian religion. I was responding based on what you said with, "because god sent the ow/om to the mm/mw..."

• 1 month later...
CaliforniaGirl
Yes, that is, indeed, the way of the falsified and impure religions of this world.

It's no wonder at all that people, in droves, have chosen material science as their god and placed all their faith and belief in it.

You mean material science like the material science you just used to type this message with?

And drive a car with and get your medicine with and Tivo your favorite shows with and turn lights on with and stay warm in winter with and keep your food cold so it doesn't grow bacteria to kill you and stuff like that?

Is that the sort of material science you're chiding the rest of the world about?

Is that the sort of material science you're chiding the rest of the world about?

Hi CaliforniaGirl.

I think you may have misunderstood what I was trying to say. Hopefully my response in the 'How much does God really control?' thread will make it clearer.

• Like 1
  • Author
Nonsense. Humans have all the tools necessary for survival. Our ability to problem solve is greater then every other animal on the planet, but that IS part of human DNA and the humans biggest strength in survival. That's why we are still around. Thriving greater then any other species. Certainly has nothing to do with denying our DNA. We are actually using our greatest strength. I can't kill many animals without tools to do so. But human DNA gave me the ability to problem solve, so I learned to build a deadfall trap, or a fishing line and hook. Or we learned agriculture instead of foraging. That isn't denying our DNA. That is called being a human. What utter nonsense to claim humans or poorly equipped for survival. We do it better then anything else on this planet.

Actually, we may have sewn the seeds of our own destruction. We are one of the few species that could purposely, and will full knowledge of what we are doing, destroy not only ourselves, but every other species as well. This hardly makes us the most equipped to survive.

Think of it this way. If you and a mosquito were both released into the jungle, you with not tools or clothes, and the mosquito, who will not only survive, but will be able to pas son their DNA to the greatest number of offspring?

The mosquito will win every time. Even the simple Ebola, AIDS, rabies viruses or staphylococcus aureus can "outsmart" us and lay us low. We, unfortunately, measure genetic success by measures we value, which are often destructive.

Edited by wmacbride
Justanaverageguy

Think of it this way. If you and a mosquito were both released into the jungle, you with not tools or clothes, and the mosquito, who will not only survive, but will be able to pas son their DNA to the greatest number of offspring?

The mosquito will win every time. Even the simple Ebola, AIDS, rabies viruses or staphylococcus aureus can "outsmart" us and lay us low. We, unfortunately, measure genetic success by measures we value, which are often destructive.

I think history would show that both species - mosquito and humans - would survive - and in fact both did survive. Humans came from that very point you described - as cave men and we seem to have done pretty alright in the survival stakes :)

Regarding the original question - If you were from a traditional religion such as christian\Jewish\Muslim and you truly thought "god" had sent the other man \ other woman into you life. The only logical way you could rationalize this would be if it was to test you and whether you would adhere to his laws. So then if you did cheat with this person - you would have to say you failed the test.

If it was a christian no matter which way you slice it or rationalize it there is nothing in the bible that would advocate that god approved of your cheating. I think the idea would then be having failed the test - you are supposed to realize the error of your ways and if you repented and showed contrition he would forgive you.

Edited by Justanaverageguy

There is so much evidence in the Bible of adultery being a sin and looked down upon that there is no way any Christian who reads the Bible can honestly say that god sent an adulteress (or the man version) to them and truly believe it.

It's a rationalization. And if god truly sent the AP, it was to test your covenant with God and you failed.

todreaminblue
Read my post again. I didn't say anything bad about god, I said tis the religious way. Not the godly way. The thing is I don't have an issue with the idea of a higher power. I do take issue with organized religion. Religion is the biggest cause of murder and rape this world has ever known. Ever since the invention of religion (man's invention btw) it's been going on. Still going on in 2017. Forgive me if I see religion as nothing but a divider of people, an evil invention. If I believed in the a god and devil and that they actually care about our little planet and control things here, well I would have to look at religion and conclude it was the devil who created it. Not god.

where did i i say you said bad about god.....religion can be defined as....

.the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.

so religion is to do with god.....your opening post line...doing it for god?

so why do i need to read your post again...i didnt direct my post at you for starters.....and your title...doesnt say doing it for religion now does it.....or worship...its says doin'it for god....

and as i said alot of peopel who claim to have devout faith say they are doing things for god and are godly people and obviously things they do are in vain......for self pleasure....and have nothing to do with true religion worship faith and of course god.....

this world as in pain and destruction and worldy things belong to satan he fed th eapple he knew what he was doing...god had it planned all along anyway.......i agree with you...satan rules on earth for now....

wont be that way forever though...and for giggles say there is a god...and say theres satan..and say theres a magnificent man who died to save us to give us th echance to follow gods ways.......i know whose side i will want to be on.who i want to thank accepted ro not.......whether i cut the mustard seeds and get to be with god....is another matter.....i can pray ...and try to do the right thing and that includes celibacy till marriage...however tempted i am to not be celibate...i know the rules...and its my choice....my consequences if i dont live up to promises i have made or listen to the holy spirit..not only that i would be responsible for corruption to the guy i am with.........to blame god for my mistakes and error is ridiculous.....i am an ex hooker....and i believe there is a god....and i dont think he gives out flowers and says go my child in peace when you know what you are doing is wrong and dont repent.........deb

Edited by todreaminblue