LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Spirituality & Religious Beliefs

Faith vs Relationship

Spirituality & Religious Beliefs Contemplate your place and purpose in the universe.

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th February 2017, 9:02 PM   #16

I totally understand where the church is coming from. However, you are in charge of your life and your friend is in charge of hers. The only thing I would mention is that if you are really serious about your christianity, there is a true "incompatibility", meaning, your faith will always be a stumbling block. That is a something you need to be aware of. Even if your boyfriend is supportive, a day will come when that might change. This is something you need to be aware of. Other then that, you need to make a decision for yourself. No matter what your decision is, the church is supposed to show love towards you and your decisions.
Lifeisgood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2017, 9:27 PM   #17
Established Member

Journal Entries: 2
I have struggled with this in the past and i struggle again with it now.....my church that i now belong to i wanted to join when i was in a relationship with my ex who would never convert.....he is not a fan of celibacy till marriage....not really into marriage either he does believe in god though and we have three girls together......i chose my relationship over my faith ......he ended up leaving when he had an affair.....i came to realize one thing ......my faith wasnt my first priority i put my relationship as first priority and him above god......his will his desires his wishes.......over gods will for me and gods commandments.....which if you believe in god...should never be done.....and i learned some lessons the hard way.....

i feel you have to decide what is more important in your life .......for me.....i made that mistake before to repeat it would be retarded but yet...i contemplated going down that track again.....relationships unfortunately ....end.......gods love or concern for you ...never will end......if you dont feel your church supports you and you are following gods commandments christian or non christian.....then find a faith that allows you that freedom of agency we were given...but...if you whole-heartedly believe in the church doctrines and take it as gospel....you have to decide what is more important for you to hold on to ...and what you might have to let go of.....deb
todreaminblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2017, 7:27 AM   #18
Established Member

One of those sad irony's. "Religion" was supposed to represent a higher power. Acting and behaving in accordance with it. EG: Being a good person, treating people well, love, tolerance, forgiveness etc. The mark of a christian and the ability to call your self one was shown simply by the way you behaved. As Christ did.

For some unfortunately religion has been reduced down to simply being on the right team. My god is the real god - there for I will be saved. If you don't support our god you won't be and should be excluded. The thing emphasized most is simply joining the right club and remaining a member.

Base your faith and your personal relationships on the exact same thing. The patterns of behavior they support and encourage. It sounds like in this instance the church you are attending is the one that needs to be replaced not your boyfriend.
Ronni_W likes this.

Last edited by Justanaverageguy; 14th February 2017 at 7:29 AM..
Justanaverageguy is offline   Reply With Quote