Has God Already Judged America?

I think that this is a very fair and legitimate question. I want to reference and draw my conclusion from Romans Chapter One. Here are the verses that are the highlight. To read these verses, they are at the bottom of this Post.

First we see that where Paul writes that they have actually KNOWN God, and that God has showed it to them(those who reject Him). Paul says that God shows this to unbelievers through not only their conscious, but also creation and nature itself. The design, complexity, and pattern of our universe is both unmistakable and undeniable. It is simple there and atheist know it. They simply suppress this truth. It is like the beach ball that they are trying to hold underwater. They will do one of two things, let that truth rise to the surface in their lives, or they will simply take a knife and bust the beach ball and kill their own conscious. They can't maintain their neutral position. Even the atheist has a conscious that tells him it's wrong to murder and it is wrong to steal. However, he denies this when he preaches subjective morality, hence his rejection of God. Also, there is creation and nature and like I said the design and handiwork of God in nature is undeniable to the point that for a man to say that it is all an accident, points and paints him to be a fool that denies his very own existence. That is why Paul said that they are without excuse, there is MORE than enough evidence for God.

Paul says that when they knew God, they glorified Him not as God but became vain in their imaginations(evolution and idol worship), and their foolish hearts were darkened. They are now blinded after rejecting the light. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools. They will be the brunt of great laughter and ridicule on Judgement Day, because they believed such a foolish and laughable theory as evolution.

Basically, the rest of the chapter goes on to say this, and this is why I think that God has already judged America. Because they rejected God after they knew Him, and changed His glory into something corruptible, God gave them over to vile affections and they burned in their lusts towards one another. In other words, their lusts and their vile affections ARE their judgement. Rampant homosexuality and the sexual revolution come into play here as we are now seeing a culture in America that is losing its moral compass, and also the meaning to love, and where sex is becoming so common place as is affairs and divorce, that it holds no more meaning to some, than brushing your teeth or a hand shake. Huxley's "Brave New World" come to mind here where sex was shared amongst all and had no viable sacred meaning to it. Marriages are also meaningless now to the point to where there seems to be no resistance in people breaking their vows and having one night stands. Their affections and lusts ARE their judgement and the fact that it is getting harder and harder to maintain a meaningful and long lasting relationship speaks to the fact that people are isolated and lonley and it and they will only get more so as they get older, because if you haven't worked hard and built a foundation with someone in your best years, then your latter years will be miserable indeed.

I close with talking about the Church. Where does the Church fit into all of this. Well, Peter said that judgement must begin at the house of God. I believe that it already has. How? Who are the popular preachers of our day? Joel Osteen, Rick Warren, Andy Stanley, Joyce Meyer, Kenneth Copeland, and others of their prosperity self seeking, seeker sensitive ilk. They don't preach on sin, they preach and teach self fulfillment. What Paul told Timothy comes to mind, when he said in the last days men will be lovers of their own selves(2 Timothy 2:2). Paul also said that the time will come when they will not endure the truth, but will heap up teachers, according to people's lust, having itching ears, and turn away their ears from the truth and be turned to fables(The Shack and Rob Bell's Love Win's comes to mind). The fact that the pure unadulterated truth and a convicting truth isn't coming from the popular and mainstream pulpits these days, is stark evidence I believe in God's rejection of America, because whom the Lord loves He rebukes, and if you are without chastisement, you are bastards.

So we must ask ourselves, is that this generation? A generation, where we see rampant homosexuality, skyrocketing divorce, otherworldly transgender issues where people are being consumed in their lust to the point that they want to defile and mutliate their own bodies and distort their humanity. This regression and despair of humanity will only get worse, even to the point of mainstream pedophilia. When a nation abandons God for the gospel of secular humanism there is no end to the deprivation that ensues, it is an airplane in an uncontrollable tailspin. Thoughts?

Romans 1:18-32

For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness; Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.

Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves: Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient; Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful: Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

• Like 1

You have a persuasive argument.

Does that mean America is like Rome and on the way down?

Many I know think so.

• Like 1
planning4later

I think the biggest evidence that God has already judged America can be found within the "church". The church is almost completely devoid of truth and biblical teaching these days that it's indistinguishable from the rest of the world. You can walk into 9 out of 10 churches, regardless of denomination, and not hear the true gospel, not hear about who Jesus really is, and hear nothing about sin. What you WILL hear is some version of the prosperity gospel or word of faith gospel, which is a different gospel and originated from New Ageism. So I believe this means that God has already judged us. When his spirit and his truth leaves a people, that is his judgement.

• Like 4
  • Author
I think the biggest evidence that God has already judged America can be found within the "church". The church is almost completely devoid of truth and biblical teaching these days that it's indistinguishable from the rest of the world. You can walk into 9 out of 10 churches, regardless of denomination, and not hear the true gospel, not hear about who Jesus really is, and hear nothing about sin. What you WILL hear is some version of the prosperity gospel or word of faith gospel, which is a different gospel and originated from New Ageism. So I believe this means that God has already judged us. When his spirit and his truth leaves a people, that is his judgement.

Very well put.

• Like 1
GorillaTheater

I have to say, this talk of God judging America strikes me as pretty national-centric. As far as I know, the US is still one of if not the most Christian nation on the planet, and the argument is that we're not Christian enough? I don't get it. Rome became Christian and fell all in the last 15% of it's history. Did they not become Christian fast enough?

Why wouldn't nations which are less Christian in character get judged even more harshly? What is this judgment going to look like?

• Like 4
  • Author
Why wouldn't nations which are less Christian in character get judged even more harshly? What is this judgment going to look like?

I think the answer to this question is because they don't or never have known God, and that they are not accountable for what they don't know, whereas America, which was founded on Christian principles is responsible, because to he who knows to do good, but does it not to him,it is sin. Also, to whom much is given, is much required.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
Fix quote
  • Like 1
GorillaTheater

I think the answer to this question is because they don't or never have known God, and that they are not accountable for what they don't know, whereas America, which was founded on Christian principles is responsible, because to he who knows to do good, but does it not to him,it is sin. Also, to whom much is given, is much required.

I appreciate the response, but I don't think it adequately covers the bases. The church, or at least a church, has historically been much more intertwined with the governments and arguably the national fiber of Latin America and Europe than the church ever was in the US. Have they been judged? If so what did that judgment look like?

And I hope the argument is not that our judgment will be a loss of our prosperity. My understanding is that God cares little for our economic condition, and Jesus in fact specifically warned us about the dangers of wealth.

• Like 2

So, are you saying that blissful ignorance of God avoids his negative judgment?

• Like 1
UpwardForward

There hasn't been any repentance. Just continued mocking, flaunting, defiance.

I have considered legalized abortion as a defining factor.

Any civilization would be in a free-fall.

• Like 4
planning4later
There hasn't been any repentance. Just continued mocking, flaunting, defiance.

I have considered legalized abortion as a defining factor.

Any civilization would be in a free-fall.

Our nation's collective voice can best be summed up by what Israel said during a period of wicked apostasy. They still attended their temple services (as we attend church) but they wanted to only hear about positive, smooth, and peaceful things. They wanted nothing to do with holiness.

“For these are rebellious people, deceitful children, children unwilling to listen to the Lord’s instruction. They say to the seers, “See no more visions!” and to the prophets, “Give us no more visions of what is right! Tell us pleasant things, prophesy illusions. Leave this way, get off this path, and STOP CONFRONTING US WITH THE HOLY ONE OF ISRAEL!””

**Isaiah‬ *30:9-11‬ *NIV‬‬

http://bible.com/111/isa.30.9-11.niv

• Like 2

Interestingly...if following some sources...as a child of God we are pre positioned thru out our lives . Ergo..God has planned our sins to be an example for others...

So that is hypocrisy to judge those whom one has preset to do his bidding.

The USA has committed every sin of the commandments...and oddly has also loved one another thru it's assistance to other nation's.

Personally I genuinely believe God has such humor..sometimes dark..sometimes belly roll style. He created this and is accessing daily our follies...

• Like 1
planning4later
Interestingly...if following some sources...as a child of God we are pre positioned thru out our lives . Ergo..God has planned our sins to be an example for others...

So that is hypocrisy to judge those whom one has preset to do his bidding.

The USA has committed every sin of the commandments...and oddly has also loved one another thru it's assistance to other nation's.

Personally I genuinely believe God has such humor..sometimes dark..sometimes belly roll style. He created this and is accessing daily our follies...

So then why does Paul admonish those who sin? Why does the entire New Testament teach the message of repentance?

• Like 2

OP, do you know where the idea that the US was chosen by God came from? It would be beneficial to understand that history before holding the US up to special judgement from God.

• Like 1

Well, you have two of the biggest douche-bags on the planet as the forerunners to be the next president, and if God is behind that unfortunate circumstance then he's not only judged America but he's obviously really, really pissed at you guys. Maybe he was already annoyed and then you unleashed those Kardashian flakes on the rest of us, and that's just been the last straw.......Just sayin'................

MuddyFootprints

I don't believe you are more blessed or more cursed

I do believe sorting that out will lead to your demise.

It won't have anything to do with God.

• Like 4
  • Author
OP, do you know where the idea that the US was chosen by God came from? It would be beneficial to understand that history before holding the US up to special judgement from God.

While I don't really believe that America was specifically a "Christian Nation", because a lot of the founding forefathers were Mason's and not really Christian, I say that America could be suffering a judgment from God is because we were founded on a lot of biblical principles and stood on His word much throughout our history. Therefore we are held accountable for what we know since we know His Word and have more Christian churches in our nation than probably any other nation in the world. Thereby making many of our citizens aware of what is right and wrong. Also, we have more confessing Christians in America than anywhere else in the world. All of this combined makes us a nation that once adhered to the Bible and therefore since we know what is right, we will be judged if we abandon it. He who knows to do right and does it not to him, it is sin. To whom much is given, much is required. This would not be true of ignorant pagan nations.

While I don't really believe that America was specifically a "Christian Nation", because a lot of the founding forefathers were Mason's and not really Christian, I say that America could be suffering a judgment from God is because we were founded on a lot of biblical principles and stood on His word much throughout our history. Therefore we are held accountable for what we know since we know His Word and have more Christian churches in our nation than probably any other nation in the world. Thereby making many of our citizens aware of what is right and wrong. Also, we have more confessing Christians in America than anywhere else in the world. All of this combined makes us a nation that once adhered to the Bible and therefore since we know what is right, we will be judged if we abandon it. He who knows to do right and does it not to him, it is sin. To whom much is given, much is required. This would not be true of ignorant pagan nations.

The idea that the US is a chosen nation originated with the Puritans. They literally thought that America was a New Canaan. You should read William Bradford's sermon "A Model of Christian Charity," which is where the phrase a "city upon a hill" was first used in reference to America. The Puritans were an interesting group. I only mention all of that because the idea that the US is special in the eyes of God is very important if you believe that God judges the US differently than other nations.

What kind of Biblical principles were we founded on? I'd also be interested to know if we really do have more churches than any other country. I guess you would have to look at it per population.

The idea that the US is a chosen nation originated with the Puritans. They literally thought that America was a New Canaan. You should read William Bradford's sermon "A Model of Christian Charity," which is where the phrase a "city upon a hill" was first used in reference to America. The Puritans were an interesting group. I only mention all of that because the idea that the US is special in the eyes of God is very important if you believe that God judges the US differently than other nations.

What kind of Biblical principles were we founded on? I'd also be interested to know if we really do have more churches than any other country. I guess you would have to look at it per population.

I'd also like examples of god's "judgement," as well. What exactly is happening that points to that?

I personally don't think God thinks any more favorably about the U.S. than other countries. I find that notion a bit eye-rolly, to be honest. How laughably nationalistic. As far as I remember the bible, it says that God judges all equally.

• Like 2
I'd also like examples of god's "judgement," as well. What exactly is happening that points to that?

I personally don't think God thinks any more favorably about the U.S. than other countries. I find that notion a bit eye-rolly, to be honest. How laughably nationalistic. As far as I remember the bible, it says that God judges all equally.

I think the view that the US is special in God's eyes is an example of a US centric world. That idea that we are the center of the world and the best and most important. It's very ironic when you consider that we were founded on the idea of seperation of church and state, which, as far as I know, was kind of new in the Western world.

• Like 2
I appreciate the response, but I don't think it adequately covers the bases. The church, or at least a church, has historically been much more intertwined with the governments and arguably the national fiber of Latin America and Europe than the church ever was in the US. Have they been judged? If so what did that judgment look like?

Good question.

From what I have read, there are 5 main judgements of the nations that will occur biblically according to the prophecy of Daniel. The context of this vision is that the King of Babylon, Nebuchadnezzar had a dream. However, he commanded his astrologers to not just interpret the dream, but they also had to tell him what the dream was. As it goes, none were able to do so, save Daniel (a Jew that was captured during Israel's captivity in Babylon).

The hard part is, and where scholars disagree, is how to interpret this vision.

Your Majesty looked, and there before you stood a large statue—an enormous, dazzling statue, awesome in appearance. The head of the statue was made of pure gold, its chest and arms of silver, its belly and thighs of bronze, its legs of iron, its feet partly of iron and partly of baked clay. While you were watching, a rock was cut out, but not by human hands. It struck the statue on its feet of iron and clay and smashed them. Then the iron, the clay, the bronze, the silver and the gold were all broken to pieces and became like chaff on a threshing floor in the summer. The wind swept them away without leaving a trace. But the rock (Jesus) that struck the statue became a huge mountain and filled the whole earth.

This was the dream, and now we will interpret it to the king. Your Majesty, you are the king of kings. The God of heaven has given you dominion and power and might and glory; in your hands he has placed all mankind and the beasts of the field and the birds in the sky. Wherever they live, he has made you ruler over them all. You are that head of gold. After you, another kingdom will arise, inferior to yours. Next, a third kingdom, one of bronze, will rule over the whole earth. Finally, there will be a fourth kingdom, strong as iron—for iron breaks and smashes everything—and as iron breaks things to pieces, so it will crush and break all the others. Just as you saw that the feet and toes were partly of baked clay and partly of iron, so this will be a divided kingdom; yet it will have some of the strength of iron in it, even as you saw iron mixed with clay. As the toes were partly iron and partly clay, so this kingdom will be partly strong and partly brittle. And just as you saw the iron mixed with baked clay, so the people will be a mixture and will not remain united, any more than iron mixes with clay. In the time of those kings, the God of heaven will set up a kingdom that will never be destroyed, nor will it be left to another people. It will crush all those kingdoms and bring them to an end, but it will itself endure forever. This is the meaning of the vision of the rock cut out of a mountain, but not by human hands—a rock that broke the iron, the bronze, the clay, the silver and the gold to pieces.

The traditional interpretation is that Babylon was the first kingdom, the Medo-Persians, then Greece, then Rome, then there will be a fourth set of kingdoms, a combination of strong and weak nations, which will eventually be ruled for a 7 year period of time by Anti-Christ. Those kingdoms will be destroyed by Christ, leading to the final Kingdom of God. According to most teachings, the national of Israel had to be restored before the period of the Anti-Christ (fulfilled in 1948).

Those are the main judgements of the nations.

This whole post is making me glad I live in a nation which is increasingly turning away from God. No judgement from God down here!

• Like 1

There is a saying in the Talmud, which states that the people of Israel were only chosen because everyone else had rejected the offer.

So maybe when a pious Jew goes to heaven, he might say to God, "Its wonderful to meet you, but next time please choose somebody else."

Edited by Satu
  • Like 2