Why don't I believe

I don't believe in God and I don't know what to think, Sure I wasn't raised in the church. Infact I was married to a great girl and she was raised in the Pentacostal church, She didn't expect me to go to church, we never talked about it. I suppose it wasn't important to her.

I have been going through a lot of personal issues the last 8 years and am looking for happiness. I'm not interested in any one preaching to me. I guess I know people that go to church and they seem content with life but who knows.

It does bother me that I truly don't believe in a higher being and not because I can't see him/her and touch it. I just think if there was wouldn't I have better luck, wouldn't something good happen sometime.

I was married in a church, my children were christened and I believe good things but I don't see good things happen to me. I volunteer at a local non profit as a driver helping less fortunate, I believe I am a compassionette person, Writing this I'm thinking that you're thinking that I'm not aware of how good I have it and that I'm better off than most. and I'm just in a dark place right now.

Maybe there isn't a higher power and we, all of us find happiness with in. I'm not looking for a local church in hopes that i'll be enlightened and perhaps its not such a big deal. anyway just thought I'd share my views, thanks

• Author

I could go for a walk too, but I don't see how these things are gonna help me understand the meaning of life but thank you for replying. It takes a special person to read about some one elses problems and reply to it. so Thank You

GorillaTheater

My spirituality is too much of a muddle for me to give anyone advice in this area, but I'll make this observation: somebody may disagree with me, but I don't think even the most committed Christian would tell you that "finding God", however you want to define that, will bring you happiness. Peace, maybe, but not happiness.

As far as I could ever tell, God doesn't give a crap whether we're happy or not, only that He'll give us strength when the going gets tough.

• Like 5
  • Author

I understand, but really is their a God? Or is it a mentality, is it a belief that you believe in good, that you live your life with a code of truthfulness, caring, compassion. you attend church as a social event. be with like minded people and there really isn't a heaven. a place to go.

I mean if there was a place then why is it that the people who believe care about dieing. Why not just go. Is it a money grab.

Cablebandit
I understand, but really is their a God? Or is it a mentality, is it a belief that you believe in good, that you live your life with a code of truthfulness, caring, compassion. you attend church as a social event. be with like minded people and there really isn't a heaven. a place to go.

I mean if there was a place then why is it that the people who believe care about dieing. Why not just go. Is it a money grab.

No gods are real. If there were a god and evidence for it, it would be called a scientific fact not a belief.

Here is a Neil DeGrasse Tyson quote that I live by:

“The problem, often not discovered until late in life, is that when you look for things in life like love, meaning, motivation, it implies they are sitting behind a tree or under a rock. The most successful people in life recognize, that in life they create their own love, they manufacture their own meaning, they generate their own motivation. For me, I am driven by two main philosophies, know more today about the world than I knew yesterday. And lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.”

• Like 6
Cablebandit

“If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.”

― Dalai Lama XIV, The Art of Happiness

• Like 2
JuanDelToro
No gods are real. If there were a god and evidence for it, it would be called a scientific fact not a belief.

Here is a Neil DeGrasse Tyson quote that I live by:

“The problem, often not discovered until late in life, is that when you look for things in life like love, meaning, motivation, it implies they are sitting behind a tree or under a rock. The most successful people in life recognize, that in life they create their own love, they manufacture their own meaning, they generate their own motivation. For me, I am driven by two main philosophies, know more today about the world than I knew yesterday. And lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.”

Is there evidence to support the non-existence of God? I can definitely tell you that there isn't any, science cannot prove it. So either way, both believers and non-believers, are basing their ideology on assumptions rather than facts.

I cannot speak of one God as an entity which is not defined by limits, but I can speak of the spirit as the universal consciousness that exists outside the individual and can be defined by limits. Humans as a mean of identification label these limits as God(s), though forms, demons, ghosts and so on.

Edited by JuanDelToro
Cablebandit
Is there evidence to support the non-existence of God? I can definitely tell you that there isn't any, science cannot prove it. So either way, both believers and non-believers, are basing their ideology on assumptions rather than facts.

I cannot speak of one God as an entity which is not defined by limits, but I can speak of the spirit as the universal consciousness that exists outside the individual and can be defined by limits. Humans as a mean of identification label these limits as God(s), though forms, demons, ghosts and so on.

What we can speak of and what is reality are 2 very different things. The Abrahamics are failed sciences. They were used to explain the world around their creators. They have now been replaced with valid sciences. There has never been a scientific explanation that was later replaced by a supernatural one...ever...not one. There is a reason for that and it should make us all take pause and consider why that is.

• Author

The scientific proof that something doesn't exist. That's incredible. I want scientific proof that it does exist. That's a vain way of putting it. I really think it's a belief that is lived by believers. A scam. A money grab. I'm sure that is not necessarily true but could be. It is a belief that has been popular for a very long time.

It energised people, it is a positive power. And it's not wrong if you don't believe. Some people are spiritual and that isn't the same as believing in a god. I'm so pleased with this board. The more I write the better I feel.

Tiger Lily

Sorry about your pain, OP.

One major question to ask yourself: Who was Jesus, in your opinion? Many people believe that you must choose one: Lunatic, Liar or Lord? Which one of those makes the most sense to you, given the evidence (circumstantial). If you look at all of the evidence of Jesus' life, coming to the most reasonable conclusion of who he was may help you understand more about God.

But these answers can only come if you genuinely have a desire to seek and learn. Best of luck!

• Author

who was Jesus, beats me, who does people say Jesus was? a man I suppose. look if I can't see it or feel it or there isn't proof of it then it isn't so. obviously you are a believer. I see people attend church, I even hear people talk about a god but really come on where's the proof, I believe in evolution, I don't think god created the trees and the animals. I'm not against the premise its just that I don't feel it.

[quote=Hamish57a;6972312help me understand the meaning of life

I'm very much an athiest.

I don't think there is a 'meaning' of life. Isn't life just about doing the best we can for ourselves and others?

• Author

Yes and I try to be the best I can, I have compassion and I think I'm a good guy but I wonder why am I not happy with who I am or am I just hopeing for something that isn't there

As the saying goes "God helps those who help themselves..." in other words you are the one that needs to make changes and deal with life....there are no free rides. God wants you to believe in yourself and have the ability to succeed. As for happiness...again that is up to you to discover. I say finding a good counselor can give you some direction as to what is going on with you....it's all about discovery. Sometimes it's right there in front of you and you just need someone to point it out to you. We get so blinded by other things...communication and getting an outside perspective can clear away that fog.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are interested in a spiritual community, you might consider Unitarian Universalist. In most of the UU congregations I am aware of, there is no expectation of belief in a deity. Yet there is fellowship and a sense of commitment to moral principals and right action toward others.

Personally, I do not subscribe to the idea that science should be able to detect God. In fact, if God is outside the physical universe, we should NOT be able to detect him. But I still love Neil DeGrasse Tyson.

Edited by TennisGal
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd describe myself as a panentheist. Although my god may be emotionally unsatisfying, I can't ignore the wonder (God) that transcends the fabric of space-time (God).

• Like 1

Energy. God would be the oldest, the First. We all acknowledge that energy is recycled.....though it takes different form, the energy exists, remains and is timeless.

We live too much in our own heads.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjTz66h8p3OAhXHOyYKHbo3CLgQFggmMAI&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FEnergy&usg=AFQjCNGSGKHD5qUGr-vMAq4jrw1upSCnsQ

• Like 1
Gr8fuln2020

Well, not an atheist per say, but certainly not religious.

There is absolutely NO material evidence to prove the existence of a god(s), but plenty of evidence to suggest that there isn't one or if there is or are...phew, we are all screwed and/or have our reasons to stop believing...

I consider myself a deist of a sort...I believe in something, but that something has really checked out and dropped the ball. I find purpose in my children, family and those I love. I find purpose in what compassion I have remaining for my effed-up fellow man. I still believe in making this world a little better than it is when I leave it and that's for my children's sake.

I have been through my non-believing and believing phases and now, well, I'm where I describe myself above. It really becomes difficult to regain any momentum when the people around you who claim to believe are so arbitrary and for many of them, some of the crappiest people on the planet.

• 2 weeks later...
The scientific proof that something doesn't exist. That's incredible. I want scientific proof that it does exist.

Coming into this conversation late, but I'd like to say the following: If God is supernatural (or let's call it extra-natural, outside the physical universe) then we would not expect science, which studies the physical universe to either prove or disprove his existence.

planning4later

Here's a biblical perspective on your situation, for what it's worth:

God is the one who chooses us for his purposes. We don't choose (or not choose) to believe in him. The bible says only the spirit of God can open the eyes of a person, and that this act is not dependent upon human will. Anyone who "chooses" to believe in God should reconsider the reality of the situation from a biblical standpoint, not a human one. I can't say that I ever "chose" to believe in God. I do recall a specific moment when my eyes were opened, but I cannot say the thought originated from me; otherwise the credit belongs to me and God will not have anyone entering his kingdom who takes credit for himself. He requires all to come with empty hands and zero pride through Christ.