Afraid to talk about it in church

LookAtThisPOst

I was on a date with a woman the other night (no this isn't a dating topic). And she is Christian, but then came the "To what extent" part.

For one, she believes in curses...that Halloween is unholy (she even puts sign out on Halloween "no trick or treaters" or something.

She said one of her friends who had taken ill, had taken ill because she had a Halloween party (an UNHOLY holiday) at her house.

Now, I'm a Christian and I'm looking for the same, but man...I never thought some people believed this kind of stuff.

Anyhow, we talked about just that and she said, "Yes, some churches are afraid to talk about it, because it scares people."

Now THIS statement, I heard before from a southern Baptist. That some religious faiths tend to leave out the "scary" parts of the Bible in order to not scare people.

Do you honestly believe this? Of course, there had been some obvious religious incompatibilities between us, surprisingly she still would like to see me again regardless of what was obvious in our conversation.

But anyhow, thoughts on the "left out" parts of the Bible in church services? Any validity to this?

Michelle ma Belle

I certainly can't speak intelligently about the bible but to her point of view that churches leave out the scary bits seems a contradictory. Most mainstream Christian faiths I know of seem to get off on the whole fire and brimstone teachings! Hell, I was raised Catholic and I grew up in constant fear of going to hell for even a thought out of place.

Many religious institutions were created on the basis of fear. To hold back the scary bits would seem counter productive to me.

She sounds like a Jehovah Witness. What religion does she subscribe to?

• Author
LookAtThisPOst
I certainly can't speak intelligently about the bible but to her point of view that churches leave out the scary bits seems a contradictory. Most mainstream Christian faiths I know of seem to get off on the whole fire and brimstone teachings! Hell, I was raised Catholic and I grew up in constant fear of going to hell for even a thought out of place.

Many religious institutions were created on the basis of fear. To hold back the scary bits would seem counter productive to me.

She sounds like a Jehovah Witness. What religion does she subscribe to?

Hey there, pretty eyes. :-)

No, she wasn't that, in fact I asked her that and she said she just goes to a non-denominational church. I found it rather odd with her being 100% from the Russian culture that she would drink the Kool-Aid of such an extreme faith.

She says in her dating profile she's non-religious...just Christian.

Like you Michelle, I grew up Catholic...and of course, a lot of faiths believes Catholics are "going to hell" just for being Catholic. LOL Surprised she didn't say that.

scorpiogirl

My grandfather was a church minister and we often discussed religions, the Bible and things not said.

We were talking about something -can't remember what now, but he said the same thing to me. There were things they learned and discussed in the seminary that were not said during sermons.

I'm not saying it's stuff like this about Halloween, but there are things learned and discussed but not "for public consumption" for whatever reason.

Arieswoman

The simple answer OP, is to talk to your Pastor, Priest, Vicar, Rector or other religious adviser on the matter.

These persons have spent at least 3 years at college, university, seminaries etc and are knowledgeable in Theology etc

They can give you the answers you seek.

I hope you will schedule an appointment with them and address your concerns.

• Author
LookAtThisPOst
The simple answer OP, is to talk to your Pastor, Priest, Vicar, Rector or other religious adviser on the matter.

These persons have spent at least 3 years at college, university, seminaries etc and are knowledgeable in Theology etc

They can give you the answers you seek.

I hope you will schedule an appointment with them and address your concerns.

Actually, I just Googled the aforementioned expertise on the matter. Found out a lot of info. :)

I'm from the South, which is largely Protestant. I do know that some Baptists believe Halloween is evil and don't celebrate it. It's not that uncommon actually. I've never heard anything about a curse though.