What is your mission?

Spirituality is very personal in my life. I do my best to observe and keep an open heart in varying interpretations of faiths.

The other day... out of the blue... I questioned the "mission" any of us are called upon.

For the most part , I have given up ... Whatever this "mission" is... I am tired.

So it led me here, What is your mission? Do you have moments of doubts that you are on the spiritual path ?

How did you perservere during doubts and bouts of defeat?

• Like 5
Spirituality is very personal in my life. I do my best to observe and keep an open heart in varying interpretations of faiths.

The other day... out of the blue... I questioned the "mission" any of us are called upon.

For the most part , I have given up ... Whatever this "mission" is... I am tired.

So it led me here, What is your mission? Do you have moments of doubts that you are on the spiritual path ?

My mission is...um...IDK.

TBH I'm not sure why I was born and what I'm suppose to be doing. Sometimes my life is magical and intense but lots of times I feel frustrated and wanting.

My hope is that I become less self-absorbed and more at ease in the human condition.

• Like 1
  • Author

Thank you Satu, I like that brief statement packed with empowering motivation. Has love been your mission then?

Summer3- I hear ya! Its murky at best figuring out the calling... and if its really effecting the good of the whole.

I'm not questioning my aliveness, science answered that... Its that nagging unrest.

• Like 1
Thank you Satu, I like that brief statement packed with empowering motivation. *Has love been your mission then?

Summer3- I hear ya! Its murky at best figuring out the calling... and if its really effecting the good of the whole.

I'm not questioning my aliveness, science answered that... Its that nagging unrest.

*Yes. Very much so.

• Like 1
truthtripper

I find going outside at night and staring at the stars(weather permitting) helps me- we are really nothing but stardust.

• Like 3
MuddyFootprints

I'm not a faithful person, but I do have a spiritual path I'm forging as a human. I am at tolerance and acceptance. I'm working toward building skills that help me from creating resentment. I am at least a universe away from universal love, but I want my true altruistic spirit back.

• Like 2
I find going outside at night and staring at the stars(weather permitting) helps me- we are really nothing but stardust.

The darn city lights makes it impossible for me to see the stars.

Oh how I'd love to cut all the lights at night and just look up and lose myself in the night sky.

• Like 1

Like something's missing? Like there's a sense of quiet emptiness gnawing at you in the background?

So…I'm not the only one, huh? :(

• Author

aparently not Burnt :)

Appreciate the various responses. Looking at the stars makes me realize how insignificant Things are...even the mission...

Time to refocus. Meditate and gain perspective.

• Like 2
MuddyFootprints

There is as much awe and amazement in the microscopic world, too. I spend a lot of time on my hands and knees with a macro lens and have a difficult time understanding the concept of insignificance. While it may sound arrogant, I believe we all have a role to play regardless of our limitations. None of us is insignificant. We all leave our footprints somewhere.

• Like 3
todreaminblue

my mission.....i have many mini missions

to be the best woman i can be.....to bring out the best in others..to raise my family..to help as many as i can....to uplift to strengthen.....to support...to do whats right...to do good ...

at the end of my life if someone were to remember me.....and i were to be memorable to just one person....i would want them to remember..i was never going to be a perfect person..that i always tried to be my best.....and always cared...for them..that i loved them....and if everyone remembers me that way...then my life which is the mission..full of mini missions......... was lived exactly as it should be lived..with a purpose....

thats what gets me through trials of faith ...that theres purpose to everything...even trials..god knows what that purpose is.......and that every trial has a used by date....even if i dont know when that is......i just have to take trials as they come......and pray my heart out during before and after......and im not dead yet...so I must be on the right path.......deb..

• Like 2
todreaminblue
There is as much awe and amazement in the microscopic world, too. I spend a lot of time on my hands and knees with a macro lens and have a difficult time understanding the concept of insignificance. While it may sound arrogant, I believe we all have a role to play regardless of our limitations. None of us is insignificant. We all leave our footprints somewhere.

love your post...reminds me of footprints in the sand poem.....and the micro world.....

I have a fascination with ants.......

so industriously they gather food or bedding or weird stuff like i have no idea why they are carrying wood shavings but yet they have this drive come rain or cracks in the pavement they carry their loads to wherever single file...with order and precision..

each one is insignificant but a thousand strong line...well...awesome.....we could be as cool as ants....but instead we got lost in our own importance ...i think its good to see the micro world......thats why when i need to feel small and not so big...i go to the ocean.....and i get a sense of how small i really am...and people ...like ants....were never meant to go it alone.....deb

• Like 1

Sometimes I feel I am close to losing my faith. I don't know what to do. I haven't been to mass or confession in years. It's humanity that is making me lose faith. People suck.

• Like 1
amaysngrace

I try to be one with the earth, respect it and appreciate it. I love nature and I'm at my best when I'm outdoors just taking it all in.

I serve God by teaching religion to children. It's the least I can do for the very many ways that He has blessed me.

• Like 2
truthtripper

Appreciate the various responses. Looking at the stars makes me realize how insignificant Things are...even the mission...

That's just my point. After a lot of struggling with my expectations of myself and others' expectations of me, I ended up with a nervous breakdown. I had to let it all go and now simply live my life one day at a time. I have no freakin' idea what my mission is and I can't afford to care either. I just try to be as good a person as I can.

Looking inwards(as well as outwards) and self-reflection is necessary for personal growth. Since my breakdown, I practise this everyday. It has helped me to be there for myself and thus for other people too.

• Like 2
truthtripper

But stardust isn't insignificant. It's magic! A miraculous creation! We should be honored to be a part of this amazing universe!

Edited by truthtripper
TaraMaiden2
Spirituality is very personal in my life. ......So it led me here, What is your mission?

“Ultimately, man should not ask what the meaning of his life is, but rather must recognize that it is he who is asked. In a word, each man is questioned by life; and he can only answer to life by answering for his own life; to life he can only respond by being responsible.”

Viktor E. Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning

This guy is my Guru.

Do you have moments of doubts that you are on the spiritual path ?

No.

Never.

I often succeed brilliantly in tripping MYSELF up and making a complete tool of myself. But my Path is solid, well-trodden and limitless and endless in the possibilities and positive results it brings me. I never doubt. I am very often foolish. But doubt never gets a look-in.

This too shall pass.

Whatever, whenever, it never lasts.

Everything is transitory, ephemeral and temporary.

Nothing is permanent.

We invest far too much in our emotions which while we protest they make us 'human', we actually 'misuse' and abuse them, and keep ourselves stuck and enmeshed within their apparently uncontrollable insistence. Which is of course, a fallacy. .

As stated, I never doubt.

I am never defeated.

If the shot hits my foot, it's me who fired it.

It heals, and all the more quickly when I swiftly realise it's me who's doing it....

• Like 3
truthtripper
Sometimes I feel I am close to losing my faith. I don't know what to do. I haven't been to mass or confession in years. It's humanity that is making me lose faith. People suck.

I adore my cat, Archibald. What would I do without him?

• Like 1
TaraMaiden2

deckard11, dearest deckard11 - the crux of your problem is in truly believing that it's always 'other people' or 'humanity'.

It's not.

The problem lies within you. And making it personal.

You have to realise that, whether you are there or not, life continues and unfolds.

The moment you succeed in reaching for that one brief moment, that tiny chink of light, when you realise that it's not others, it's you, is when you open the barn door wide to the countless possibilities for Peace within your heart, and serenity within your mind.

“When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.”

and

“Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way.”

Viktor E. Frankl

You need to read up on this guy. If anyone had good reason to think as you do - it was he.

• Like 1

Reminds of the joke:

I love humanity

It's people I can't stand.

Meee tooo :lmao:

• Like 1
truthtripper
deckard11, dearest deckard11 - the crux of your problem is in truly believing that it's always 'other people' or 'humanity'.

It's not.

The problem lies within you..

Change doesn't happen without complaining first.

Everyone needs to complain more, like deckard. The society we live in is not a healthy one.

It's all very well to "choose one's own way" and live in your isolated little microcosm, but societal change requires protest with the support of others, in large numbers.

Edited by truthtripper

Tara ,

wow , your threads always frighten me , because I think after reading them for hours !

Recently , I think I am becoming a better person , or more specifically more content .

A more peaceful guy ...

unfortunately , it is because I am loosing my mission ; I am more superficial guy now !

It is a struggle .

pleasure , desires, flesh ...

against

Spirituality ...

I am tired.

It's not.

The problem lies within you. And making it personal.

You have to realise that, whether you are there or not, life continues and unfolds.

The moment you succeed in reaching for that one brief moment, that tiny chink of light, when you realise that it's not others, it's you, is when you open the barn door wide to the countless possibilities for Peace within your heart, and serenity within your mind.

You need to read up on this guy. If anyone had good reason to think as you do - it was he.

Well you just seem to have all the answers to my problems don't you?