can anyone tell me one reason to believe in a GOD

I'm an atheist who doesn't believe in any god, as a matter of fact I see religions as something we inherited from people that didn't even know where the sun goes every night.

I grew up believing on my parent's version of GOD, like everybody else, but lost my faith, trust me I didn't want to I wish that I'm like the rest of my family member, but I never saw any sign that God existed, never witnessed any of the miracles that religions talked about which by the way I find ridiculous. how come God disappear after he was once so involved in our life sending messenger, splitting seas, flooding the earth......

All I'm asking for is a sign that any God exists, can anybody here show me one?

Edited by qubist
spelling
  • Like 2
I'm an atheist who doesn't believe in any god, as a matter of fact I see religions as something we inherited from people that didn't even know where the sun goes every night.

I grew up believing on my parent's version of GOD, like everybody else, but lost my faith, trust me I didn't want to I wish that I'm like the rest of my family member, but I never saw any sign that God existed, never witnessed any of the miracles that religions talked about which by the way I find ridiculous. how come God disappear after he was once so involved in our life sending messenger, splitting seas, flooding the earth......

You can't prove something is a sign that God exists because it's all in how you interpret it. Some people interpret evolution to be an example of all God can accomplish. Some interpret evolution as all that science can do. No one can convince you to believe in God because what you believe is really dependent on you. There are many factors that go into belief and non-belief.

Belief is emotion based, so you can't really control it. I used to wish I could believe in God as easily as other people. I've read a lot of books on Christian apologetics, and nothing ever convinced me. Wanting to believe in God doesn't make you believe in God.

• Like 2

A sign I can't help you with but I see God in every small miracle I get in my life . . plus things like rainbows, smiles from babies, good fortune etc.

For you, the best I can offer is if you believe & there is no God, no harm no foul. If you don't believe & there is a God, you may have problems later.

• Like 1

You are alive and have just made this thread. No science or anything in the universe is capable of just doing that. God exists. And that's y you exist.

• Author
. I've read a lot of books on Christian apologetics, and nothing ever convinced me. Wanting to believe in God doesn't make you believe in God.

funny that you mention this because the more I read about religions the more ridiculous they become to me.

• Like 2

I'm not Christian but I'll argue this from the perspective of my Christian upbringing ....

If the Bible says ppl have faith thru an act of god - specifically letting the holy spirit reach you to give you faith, why would you be looking for some overt, scientific data as a 'reason' to believe in god? Why would you think your faith is rational at all?

The very concept of faith is believing in sth without having any particular good reason to do so.

• Like 1
  • Author
A sign I can't help you with but I see God in every small miracle I get in my life . . plus things like rainbows, smiles from babies, good fortune etc.

all these have already been explains scientifically and are not a prove or even a sign that a god exists. I think that we ,human, are trying to give an explication to everything and when we don't have one we make it up and relate it to some super power. when we didn't understand what the sun was we thought it was god we thought that thunders and volcano are from god just because we didn't understand them. same thing for rainbow and babies smiles they are not from any god

For you, the best I can offer is if you believe & there is no God, no harm no foul. If you don't believe & there is a God, you may have problems later.

this is really messed up with all my respect, first of all which god of the thousands versions are you talking about? do I have to believe in all of them so I would be safe just in case they existed? and why am I going to be in trouble? did he talk to me or show me any sign that I intentionally ignored?

the fact is if am I going to be punished because he intentionally didn't want to spend a small effort to show me he really existed, I wouldn't want to worship such a god.

• Author
I'm not Christian but I'll argue this from the perspective of my Christian upbringing ....

If the Bible says ppl have faith thru an act of god - specifically letting the holy spirit reach you to give you faith, why would you be looking for some overt, scientific data as a 'reason' to believe in god? Why would you think your faith is rational at all?

The very concept of faith is believing in sth without having any particular good reason to do so.

I was never reached by any holy spirit or any super natural power. I only followed what my parents did until I read about religions and found out that the story of Adam and Eve and the creation of earth are a Disney-like stories , then I stopped believing.

please I'm not here to offend anybody or attack anyone's beliefs. I hope nobody takes may comments as disrespect

• Author
If you don't believe in God why do you want someone else to convince you that there is a God?

I'm just trying to see if I've missed anything. so far I don't think so. I'm an open minded guy. if you convince me today that your version of god is the truth I'll promise I would follow you immediately.

this is really messed up with all my respect, first of all which god of the thousands versions are you talking about?

I assume she is talking about the God of Abraham.

do I have to believe in all of them so I would be safe just in case they existed? and why am I going to be in trouble?

No, You don't believe in any God and no one is forcing you to.

did he talk to me or show me any sign that I intentionally ignored?

How on earth would we know this. Tell us, did he?

the fact is if am I going to be punished because he intentionally didn't want to spend a small effort to show me he really existed, I wouldn't want to worship such a god.

You aren't worried about being punished by someone you don't believe in, are you?

• Author
You are alive and have just made this thread. No science or anything in the universe is capable of just doing that. God exists. And that's y you exist.

that's not true, science doesn't make stuff it just try to explain it. and they are explaination of why I'm alive and making this thread. the think that no science in the universe can explain is the existence of GOD

I was never reached by any holy spirit or any super natural power. I only followed what my parents did until I read about religions and found out that the story of Adam and Eve and the creation of earth are a Disney-like stories , then I stopped believing.

please I'm not here to offend anybody or attack anyone's beliefs. I hope nobody takes may comments as disrespect

Ok, but even if you don't believe personally, you're familiar with the doctrine, right? The Bible never says god will be proved to exist to you, it says you have to have faith. But you're here looking for proof - explicitly contradictory to the doctrine of the thing you're looking for proof on.

• Like 2
I'm just trying to see if I've missed anything. so far I don't think so. I'm an open minded guy. if you convince me today that your version of god is the truth I'll promise I would follow you immediately.

I'm sure your parents and others have tried to convince you that God exists. If you don't believe in him why should anyone here try to convince you? Why do you want to be convinced? Why do you think you have missed something?

• Like 1

I have TRIED to believe in a god repeatedly in my life. But I also rational and logical to a fault.

I was raised agnostic, mom was raised Catholic, and still believes in a god. Dad was raised protestant, and lost his faith long ago.

Went to bible studies when I was around 10 years old (my friends were going, my mom encouraged me to explore spiritually) - and even at that young age. I couldn't turn off the voice in my head that was saying "this is a bunch of horse ****!" So I stopped going.

When I was faced with some difficult times in life, I tried DESPERATELY to believe, in something anything out there. But I felt like I was fooling myself, any "signs" I saw were a figment of my imagination / desperation. I found it ridiculous that I was trying to convince myself of such nonsense.

I call myself agnostic. I can't prove that there isn't a huge power, but on the same notion, I can't prove that there isn't.

I am awed by the natural world, enamoured by nature, but I do not believe any of it required a "god".

And I certainly can't bring myself to believe that there is some higher power that controls everything yet allows the unspeakable human suffering that goes on in this world to continue.

I also refuse to believe that " God" talks to people, and says ridiculous things, like telling politians that they should be president (that voice in your head is your own out of control ego you idiot!)

• Like 2
  • Author
I'm sure your parents and others have tried to convince you that God exists. If you don't believe in him why should anyone here try to convince you? Why do you want to be convinced? Why do you think you have missed something?
the fact that I'm asking for proof doesn't mean that I'm missing anything, I'm actually in a better state of mind than when I was a believer. I do not claim that I know everything, I'm just making my decisions based on my knowledge which as of today got me to the conclusion that all religions and gods were made by men. do you have anything else to offer that I might not be aware of? if yest I would appreciate if you could share it with me.
LivingWaterPlease

Good news for you, my friend! It's not your job to find out if He exists! It's His job to find you, show you He's real, and to save you. He is the good shepherd who searches for His sheep, the Bible teaches.

And He has begun that search for you even now as it is He who has put thoughts of His existence in your mind. That's one of the first signs that He's working to reveal Himself to you.

Respond to Him by telling Him you do want to know He exists. He's listening for your call and He'll reveal Himself to you in His way and in His time, not in the way you, I, or anyone else, believes He should do it.

Always know that it's not your job to find Him. It's His job to find you and to save you.

The very fact that you've posed this question on an internet forum is a sign that He has put thoughts in your mind of His existence.

He created you and knows how to work in your mind to lead you to Him if that is what you sincerely want. I have utmost confidence in His ability to lead you to Himself!:)

• Like 1
  • Author
I have TRIED to believe in a god repeatedly in my life. But I also rational and logical to a fault.

I was raised agnostic, mom was raised Catholic, and still believes in a god. Dad was raised protestant, and lost his faith long ago.

Went to bible studies when I was around 10 years old (my friends were going, my mom encouraged me to explore spiritually) - and even at that young age. I couldn't turn off the voice in my head that was saying "this is a bunch of horse ****!" So I stopped going.

When I was faced with some difficult times in life, I tried DESPERATELY to believe, in something anything out there. But I felt like I was fooling myself, any "signs" I saw were a figment of my imagination / desperation. I found it ridiculous that I was trying to convince myself of such nonsense.

I call myself agnostic. I can't prove that there isn't a huge power, but on the same notion, I can't prove that there isn't.

I am awed by the natural world, enamoured by nature, but I do not believe any of it required a "god".

And I certainly can't bring myself to believe that there is some higher power that controls everything yet allows the unspeakable human suffering that goes on in this world to continue.

I also refuse to believe that " God" talks to people, and says ridiculous things, like telling politians that they should be president (that voice in your head is your own out of control ego you idiot!)

to me agnostic= atheist, nobody can prove that there is no superpower sitting somewhere watching us. but I don't believe that the God that the Christianity/Judaism refer to exist.

funny that you mention this because the more I read about religions the more ridiculous they become to me.

That was the problem I ran into. The more I read on religion, mainly Christianity, the more I tended to disbelieve it. I made a point to read both liberal and conservative scholars. I read books that weren't scholarly and were terribly biased on both ends. So while I am no Biblical or religious scholar, I've read my fair share of books on the subject. At one point, I swore off any more religious study, and, in the ensuing years, I experienced more faith. I'm not sure that's a good thing though.

I found that in one way or another, you can cast doubt on most anything Christianity claims. I can't speak for other religions. So it really comes down to faith. Some of us have it, and some of us don't. I don't know why. I really and truly don't understand why some people believe and some don't. I used to read books on Christian apologetics because I wanted to find that smoking gun. I wished I could have the same faith others did, but you can't change what you believe. Faith is very emotion based, so I don't think that we control it. Do I wish and hope that Christianity is true? Yes. But I can't take away the many doubts I have, and I can't make myself believe any of it beyond a shadow of a doubt.

• Like 1
to me agnostic= atheist, nobody can prove that there is no superpower sitting somewhere watching us. but I don't believe that the God that the Christianity/Judaism refer to exist.

Over the years, I have observed something very interesting with regards to reason and religion. We often hold our religious beliefs to a much lower standard of proof than we would anything else in our lives. For example, most people would say that ghosts aren't real. But many are perfectly willing to believe that Jesus was a supernatural healer who rose from the dead. When you look at that story outside the confines of Christianity, it sounds absolutely ludicrous, and we would likely consider a person mentally ill for believing such a story. So we hold religion to a different standard.

• Like 3

I've seen no evidence of God, but I have seen plenty of evidence for natural explanations of the world that were once attributed to God. Of course, we don't have all the answers or explanations yet, but there is the potential that someday we can learn them without resorting to supernatural or magical thinking.

In many ways, all believers are atheists, too. They have dismissed the many thousands of gods that humanity has invented through the eons, in favor of just one or so that are popular now. If you consider the reasons why you reject all those other gods, you'll find they apply to any and all current gods too.

Of course, science and rationality don't do much to make you feel good about yourself and place in the universe. Personally, I follow secular Buddhism, which provides a consistent moral philosophy that is open to revision as new facts and science provides better understanding of the world and human nature. Without invoking a deity, IMO it provides the comfort and community of religions without the irrationality.

• Like 1
  • Author
Over the years, I have observed something very interesting with regards to reason and religion. We often hold our religious beliefs to a much lower standard of proof than we would anything else in our lives. For example, most people would say that ghosts aren't real. But many are perfectly willing to believe that Jesus was a supernatural healer who rose from the dead. When you look at that story outside the confines of Christianity, it sounds absolutely ludicrous, and we would likely consider a person mentally ill for believing such a story. So we hold religion to a different standard.

exactly, like laughing at how the Aztecs worshiped volcanoes then blindly believe that Noah's ark had all the species in it

• Author

first of all, you have the best profile picture ever

I've seen no evidence of God, but I have seen plenty of evidence for natural explanations of the world that were once attributed to God. Of course, we don't have all the answers or explanations yet, but there is the potential that someday we can learn them without resorting to supernatural or magical thinking.

I agree, all human did was attributing everything thin they didn't understand to a god,

Personally, I follow secular Buddhism, which provides a consistent moral philosophy that is open to revision as new facts and science provides better understanding of the world and human nature. Without invoking a deity, IMO it provides the comfort and community of religions without the irrationality.

believe or not, all religion are trying to adjust to not look too ludicrous

• Author
Good news for you, my friend! It's not your job to find out if He exists! It's His job to find you, show you He's real, and to save you. He is the good shepherd who searches for His sheep, the Bible teaches.

And He has begun that search for you even now as it is He who has put thoughts of His existence in your mind. That's one of the first signs that He's working to reveal Himself to you.

Respond to Him by telling Him you do want to know He exists. He's listening for your call and He'll reveal Himself to you in His way and in His time, not in the way you, I, or anyone else, believes He should do it.

Always know that it's not your job to find Him. It's His job to find you and to save you.

The very fact that you've posed this question on an internet forum is a sign that He has put thoughts in your mind of His existence.

He created you and knows how to work in your mind to lead you to Him if that is what you sincerely want. I have utmost confidence in His ability to lead you to Himself!:)

so God has his own mysterious way of reaching out to his creatures including myself, so why didn't he reach pout to the ones that dies not believing him. how about the ones that grow up in a country where everybody believes in an another god? how is this fair?

Firstly you are brave and strong for being an atheist. I went through a religious crisis myself recently, I'm still in it and I discovered that if I have no faith, which sometimes I don't, I lose my marbels and lose all hope. In short I don't think its worth living for me. That's when I realised that atheists are brave people. That's just me personally. I don't react this way because of other people or fears of being rejected. I can reject religion but not God.

The best way I can answer your query is that if you were to look at science. Even today scientifically we do not understand the basics of how human bodies work or even how nature works and other creations. This isn't to knock science. Contrary to some beliefs I think science compliments religion a lot.

Where you find thesegaps in science is where you can see miracles.

But even then you need an emotional response to these miracles. Some people see the miracle of childbirth as meh and that really isn't a bad reaction.

It's hard keeping faith. It isn't easy.

The best way to approach religion is in simplicity. Believe in a God that does not discriminate and believes in justice. Most faiths do not have a God that is like this. Actually most faiths do, but eventually people use God to discriminate each other.

I believe that God is just this. An absolute pillar of justice. And this is a faith I cannot shake.

Though sadly a lot of people would have me believe that God is sexist and discriminating. Even people from my own faith group. And that's when I feel real let down by the world.

• Like 1