Friendships in heaven?

I've been thinking about the people I love, and the people I don't. Personality traits that I'm drawn to, and those I'm repelled by. Is it going to be the same thing in heaven?

There's certain people I will miss achingly terribly if I never see them again. And other people that I never want to encounter again EVER. Will I be able to hang out with the former and avoid the latter in heaven?

I know Jesus said there's no marriage in heaven (and I thank God for that). But what about people who ARE happily married now? What about friendships and family ties? Will we forge heart-binding alliances in heaven like we do on earth? And encounter souls that we would prefer to avoid at all costs?

Do we even take our personalities/tendencies with us to heaven? or any of our memories?

Just curious. Does anybody else out there (whether you're Christian or not) ever wonder about stuff like this?

• Like 4

if heaven is the after life of our souls , then I doubt any impure ones would reside there. If distain or disharmony so much as entered heavens gates... The lord would know...

the day of judgment would determine that.

The older I get the less energy i partake to distain a soul, Instead I differentiate the behavior from the spirit. Its the old saying.. i may not approve of what ya do, yet you are still loved.

Your energy pull will take you to those whom you love deeply and others that you're connected with. The people you didn't like will just be 'around' and won't have any affect on you.

I've been thinking about the people I love, and the people I don't. Personality traits that I'm drawn to, and those I'm repelled by. Is it going to be the same thing in heaven?

There's certain people I will miss achingly terribly if I never see them again. And other people that I never want to encounter again EVER. Will I be able to hang out with the former and avoid the latter in heaven?

I know Jesus said there's no marriage in heaven (and I thank God for that). But what about people who ARE happily married now? What about friendships and family ties? Will we forge heart-binding alliances in heaven like we do on earth? And encounter souls that we would prefer to avoid at all costs?

Do we even take our personalities/tendencies with us to heaven? or any of our memories?

Just curious. Does anybody else out there (whether you're Christian or not) ever wonder about stuff like this?

Yes, I wonder about it!

I think on one hand, we may not even care. God will wipe away all tears and the former things will not be in remembrance.

We will be like Christ and when Christ appeared during the 40 days He remembered everyone and continued to have fellowships. It will be the same for us. We will not have a sinful nature, so perhaps the issues that make us favor or not favor others now, will be removed. We will have fellowship with God, not through faith, but face to face. Paul said faith and hope will be replaced (we will not need faith as we will see God and not need hope because we will dwell directly with Christ), but love will last forever. Our relationship to others will be mediated through God and God loves everyone, even when we were sinners Christ died for all of us. So my guess is we will have a new level of relationship that is beyond comprehension in our present state.

• Like 1

What a cool topic OB!

This link doesn't answer many of the questions you ask, which are really good questions, although it's a part of the topic and interesting.

Biblical Scholar: Life in Heaven Similar to Earth, but Better

• Like 1

..just be excited to find out. They are still surprises and mysteries and unknown adventures to embark on. Not everything needs an answer... Enjoy the suspense. It's exciting!!!!

Yes, I wonder about it!

I think on one hand, we may not even care. God will wipe away all tears and the former things will not be in remembrance.

We will be like Christ and when Christ appeared during the 40 days He remembered everyone and continued to have fellowships. It will be the same for us. We will not have a sinful nature, so perhaps the issues that make us favor or not favor others now, will be removed. We will have fellowship with God, not through faith, but face to face. Paul said faith and hope will be replaced (we will not need faith as we will see God and not need hope because we will dwell directly with Christ), but love will last forever. Our relationship to others will be mediated through God and God loves everyone, even when we were sinners Christ died for all of us. So my guess is we will have a new level of relationship that is beyond comprehension in our present state.

I've wondered about this too. What about people who have been married, divorced or widowed, and remarried? The answer is that Bible says (I can find the verse when I can) that there won't be anyone married in heaven. I wonder how that would be if everyone is all together singing around the heavenly campfire- everyone would be platonic friends, and the feelings of romantic love and sexual lust are completely gone? We won't FEEL those things anymore (lust, romantic love and jealousy) so everything will be okay and we will get along just fine. Prejudices and stereotypes will also be gone, and we will stop judging on outward appearances and the status we had on earth.

It does sound like a perfect utopia! :) That is what makes me excited being a Christian. However I can't wrap my mind around not being able to experience sex and food again.

LookAtThisPOst
Yes, I wonder about it!

Funny, I was thinking of this. Like when we have our journey to heaven, I often think...with my father being as close to us as he was, who worried about us, who cared about us (us meaning, me and my mother, as we were a nuclear family)...that when he died and left his body...was he really thinking about me or mom? Seeing us there sitting in our spots at work or something only until some time later discovering his body when my mom went to check on him.

What was he thinking as he was rising out of his body? I knew on Earth he always was thinking and even worrying about us...but does that become all irrelevant after he died?

This kind of reminds me of an episode of "Little House on the Prairie" where Laura formed an attachment with a billy goat she found...a new pet...but it was becoming a nuisance around town and had to set it free.

So she was taking the goat into the wilderness, there was a group of goats that she spotted and her billy goat "pet" was completely distracted from his current environment and ran off to be with his own kind.

Laura smiled, laughed, and said, "Nannies!"

Meaning Nanny goats....females. LOL. HE completely forgotten about the Ingalls. :laugh:

LookAtThisPOst
I've wondered about this too. What about people who have been married, divorced or widowed, and remarried? The answer is that Bible says (I can find the verse when I can) that there won't be anyone married in heaven. I wonder how that would be if everyone is all together singing around the heavenly campfire- everyone would be platonic friends, and the feelings of romantic love and sexual lust are completely gone? We won't FEEL those things anymore (lust, romantic love and jealousy) so everything will be okay and we will get along just fine. Prejudices and stereotypes will also be gone, and we will stop judging on outward appearances and the status we had on earth.

It does sound like a perfect utopia! :) That is what makes me excited being a Christian. However I can't wrap my mind around not being able to experience sex and food again.

No...didn't you know there are banquet tables in heaven where there's tons of chocolate, pizza, and chicken wings, etc....eat to our hearts content and not get fat!

ROFL! j/k

I often wonder, "Man, I might wind up seeing that annoying neighbor Mrs. Kravitz??" (Quoting from TV's "Bewitched" lol)

Funny, I was thinking of this. Like when we have our journey to heaven, I often think...with my father being as close to us as he was, who worried about us, who cared about us (us meaning, me and my mother, as we were a nuclear family)...that when he died and left his body...was he really thinking about me or mom? Seeing us there sitting in our spots at work or something only until some time later discovering his body when my mom went to check on him.

What was he thinking as he was rising out of his body? I knew on Earth he always was thinking and even worrying about us...but does that become all irrelevant after he died?

This kind of reminds me of an episode of "Little House on the Prairie" where Laura formed an attachment with a billy goat she found...a new pet...but it was becoming a nuisance around town and had to set it free.

So she was taking the goat into the wilderness, there was a group of goats that she spotted and her billy goat "pet" was completely distracted from his current environment and ran off to be with his own kind.

Laura smiled, laughed, and said, "Nannies!"

Meaning Nanny goats....females. LOL. HE completely forgotten about the Ingalls. :laugh:

I have read in many of the Near Death Experiences, that the 'Light' is Extremely Enticing, and followed by the beauty, etc. So much so that they do not wish to return.

• Like 1

You know OB, I wonder if God will reveal truth like all of the behind the scenes stuff going on in governments, etc.... I want all of the detail lol.

• Author
You know OB, I wonder if God will reveal truth like all of the behind the scenes stuff going on in governments, etc.... I want all of the detail lol.

Yeah I have a lot of questions myself. The longer I live, the more sure I am that everything happens for a reason. It'd be nice to know that reason and see how it all fits together.

And thanks for that link to the article - that was fascinating, especially the part about the final, resurrected body vs the intermediate body. I've always wondered why Jesus's disciples didn't recognize Him on the road to Emmaus.

Also, the author of the article was convinced (based on Scripture) that our relationships will continue in heaven.

There are several references in the Bible to our souls "sleeping" until Judgment Day, although the author calls it an "intermediate heaven... a paradise for believers between death and the Second Coming." - not to be confused with the "third heaven" which is heaven on earth for eternity.

I also believe that in heaven, time is no longer a factor. Or if it is, we will have a different experience of it than we do in our earthly lives.

So now I'm doing some mental gymnastics trying to put all that together with the continuity of ourselves and our relationships with others after we die.

I'm not getting very far. :D But it's lots to think about.

• Author

haha sex and food. I am right there with ya!

• Author

I just had a disturbing thought. Do we even take our gender with us to heaven? or do we become... uh... neutral?

Doesn't the Bible describe angels as being neither male nor female?

whoa heavy

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...